Target missed the Target

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Who is bored and wants a project?

Search for the cotton CBSA HS Code and have a look see at the tariffs on cotton goods by Country in NAFTA.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Guess I should visit one before they are gone.

Nah; not worth the trip, unless you want to bag a couple of souvenirs. Free bags, maybe a cute cashier. Whatever.8O

Another 17000 out of work. Looks like they'll get severance, which is an ok thing. Helps keep the wolf at bay whilst one searches for
gainful employ.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Cute cashier soon to be unemployed looking for sugar daddy just doesn't have that much appeal.

What cashier? It was all self checkout. The cart wheels even lock when you get to the door. No pushing a cart in the mall or to the car. Carts double as walkers for elderly. They killed mall shopping for seniors.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Petros! MHz hacked your account and is posting under your handle!

The American cotton industry is costing consumers a fortune.

Canadians were expecting cheap cotton like US Target and Target can't compete with Walmart buying power and superior logistics.

A 3 pack of FOTLs is $1 more at Target and Target doesn't delivery my fresh gonch to my door for free.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Some Target stores are closing down or reducing in size here in Gopherland:

Target Corp. to Cut Several Thousand Jobs, Shift Consumer Focus | KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul

Minneapolis-based Target Corp. will lay off thousands of workers in the next two years as part of an effort to save $2 billion, according to statements made during a company meeting Tuesday.
The reductions were announced in a meeting with analysts and investors to discuss short- and long-term goals. Chairman and CEO Brian Cornell and his leadership team presented the information.
The company is planning $2 billion in cost savings during the next two years, saying it will “fuel Target’s growth and drive profitability.” The company says the restructuring will be concentrated at Target’s headquarters locations, where they will eliminate “several thousand positions over the next two years.”
"We have indicated to our team and our shareholders that we are moving quickly as we transform and are committed to making tough decisions," Target spokeswoman Molly Snyder said.
Target also plans to cut costs through operations, technology, and process improvements. But Target also plans to invest between $2 billion and $2.2 billion in capital expenditures, including a $1 billion investment in technology and supply chain.
“While we’re in the early days and there’s no doubt that transformation can be challenging, we’re taking the steps necessary to unleash the potential of this incredible brand,” Cornell said in a statement.
Target has more than 13,000 employees in its downtown Minneapolis headquarters and had $72 billion in revenues in 2013.

The news comes as Target continues to try to regain its financial footing. In January, Target announced it was closing all 133 stores in Canada.
In November, the company announced it was also closing 11 stores in Minnesota.
The company owes $3.8 million to Minnesota companies.

Target announced it is going more organic and will move away from packaged and processed foods, plus have higher-end fashion at affordable prices.
The retail giant hopes the moves will attract millennials and allow the company to better compete against stores like Whole Foods.
"It (Whole Foods) is also known as ‘whole paycheck’ and that creates an issue in terms for them because they are thought of as being high-cost and I think what Target is going to do is look at it more from a value standpoint," Dave Brennan, with the University of St. Thomas’ Institute for Retailing Excellence, said.
Target will also focus on its smaller Target Express stores.
The company will open eight stores across the county this year, including one in St. Paul's Highland Park neighborhood this summer.

This Cornell guy is said by locals to be very good at rebuilding companies. If so I hope he succeeds with Target as that's the place where I do most of my shopping. Ditto with most of my neighbors.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If Target closes those stores, what will take its place?

Walmart, Sears, who cares? The handwriting was on the wall from day one. I had an idea when I saw all those fancy shopping carts they weren't going to last. Why didn't they just take over Zellers old carts and put a Target sign on them. There used to be an old saying (that's mainly forgotten today) "Look after the pennies and the dollars will look after themselves". :)

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Actually the staff at Target were really helpful and its a shame
so many Canadians are losing their jobs because the big boys
who got big wages and bonuses screwed up the entire project.
Target messed up the opening and the company heads are at
work making a mess of the closing.
The company owes 5 billion to creditors they came to Canada
without a plan and scuttled Zellers a popular store across the
country. Target shut them down and opened stores with higher
prices and there was a backlash on top of not getting enough
merchandise on the shelves when they opened.
Their cloths i like I will be sad to see them go

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Actually the staff at Target were really helpful and its a shame
so many Canadians are losing their jobs because the big boys
who got big wages and bonuses screwed up the entire project.
Target messed up the opening and the company heads are at
work making a mess of the closing.
The company owes 5 billion to creditors they came to Canada
without a plan and scuttled Zellers a popular store across the
country. Target shut them down and opened stores with higher
prices and there was a backlash on top of not getting enough
merchandise on the shelves when they opened.
Their cloths i like I will be sad to see them go

I wasn't too impressed with the staff in the Vernon Store...........about on a par with the staff at Canadian Tire here. I'd give them both a C-.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
there was another local news report that more Twin Cities area employees are going to lose their jobs but it was not specified as to where or how many jobs will be lost - I sure as heck would hate to lose them and wind up shopping in Walmarts as their stuff is altogether inferior

thankfully there is a Cubs Foods about three blocks away from Target and I would need to do my food shopping there but much prefer Target

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
there was another local news report that more Twin Cities area employees are going to lose their jobs but it was not specified as to where or how many jobs will be lost - I sure as heck would hate to lose them and wind up shopping in Walmarts as their stuff is altogether inferior

thankfully there is a Cubs Foods about three blocks away from Target and I would need to do my food shopping there but much prefer Target

I think the situation is quite a bit different in Canada. As far as I was concerned not much comparison between Target and Walmart, Walmart's service was marginally better, but had way more inventory and the store is better organized than Target. Also prices generally a little better at Walmart, I think. (information is second hand from the Wife)

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
A couple of surveys have been taken and Target's prices were slightly better owing to the 5% discount card its regular customers get. I have one and use it to save a few bucks. Also, when we get mailings that include a $5 coupon with $ 1 coupons for produce and I take full advantage of that.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Went shopping at Target and was told by an employee that the store is not at risk for closing. In fact no local shops are in any such danger at the moment.

Let's hope that report is correct!