Stephen Fry, 57, to marry his toyboy lover, 27

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
QI presenter, former Blackadder star and all-round brainbox Stephen Fry is to marry his lover, who is thirty years his junior.

The 57-year-old has announced he is to marry 27-year-old Elliot Spencer in the next year.

The couple were first seen together in November 2013, but the pair are understood to have become serious over the summer and Mr Spencer's parents have given their blessing.

Mr Spencer's father Robert, who at 57 is the same age as Fry, said he and his his wife Melanie, 52, are 'over the moon'.

Speaking at his large, detached property near Southampton he said: 'We are obviously very happy. We are over the moon, that is all I want to say.'

Today it was revealed they registered to marry in Norfolk, where Fry grew up, just before Christmas.

He tweeted today: 'Oh. It looks as though a certain cat is out of a certain bag. I'm very very happy of course but had hoped for a private wedding. Fat chance!.

'Thank you all SO much for your kind congratulations. Deeply touched xxx'.

'We are happy and over the moon': Parents of comedian, 27, express their delight at his engagement to Stephen Fry, 57, as beaming actor is pictured wearing 'engagement ring'

The actor is planning to marry Elliott Spencer, 27, in the next year
Couple first seen in November this year but became close over summer
Star said: 'I'm very very happy of course. Thank you all SO much for your kind congratulations. Deeply touched xxx'.
Mr Spencer's parents are 'over the moon' their son is getting married
Friends say Spencer, a stand-up comic, has put a smile back on Fry's face
In 2012 Fry tried to kill himself after downing pills and vodka in a hotel
Actor struggled when he split with partner of 14 years Daniel Cohen in 2010
One friend said: 'We've got the old Stephen back. He has found new hope in Elliott and they thrive off each other'
Pair gave notice at registry office in Norfolk, near where the actor grew up

By Martin Robinson for MailOnline
6 January 2015
Daily Mail

Stephen Fry's future in-laws said today they are 'over the moon' after the star revealed he will marry their stand-up comedian son, who is 30 years his junior.

Elliott Spencer's parents Robert and Miranda, from Southampton, admitted they are delighted about the couple's decision to wed after their whirlwind romance.

The 57-year-old QI presenter and comedian was today wearing what appeared to be an engagement ring as he left his central London home and told reporters: 'We're both very happy'.

The couple were first seen together in November, but the pair are understood to have become serious over the summer and Mr Spencer's parents have given their blessing.

Overjoyed: Stephen Fry outside his London home today where he said he was delighted to be engaged to Elliott Spencer, 27 and the couple are 'very happy'

Official: Mr Fry, who appeared to be wearing an engagement ring today, has said he and his partner have not set a date for their wedding

Overjoyed: The actor said today he was 'very very happy' that he and his partner Elliott, together in September, will marry in the coming year

Mr Spencer's father Robert, who at 57 is the same age as Fry, said he and his his wife Melanie, 52, are 'over the moon'.

Speaking at his large, detached property near Southampton he said: 'We are obviously very happy. We are over the moon, that is all I want to say.'

Today it was revealed they registered to marry in Norfolk, where Fry grew up, just before Christmas.

He tweeted today: 'Oh. It looks as though a certain cat is out of a certain bag. I'm very very happy of course but had hoped for a private wedding. Fat chance!.

'Thank you all SO much for your kind congratulations. Deeply touched xxx'.

The comedian was seen outside his apartment in Piccadilly, London, wearing a blue coat, green jumper and jeans today.

As he left the property he said: 'A spokesperson for the star added to MailOnline: 'Stephen Fry is very happy and proud to say that he has set the wheels in motion for a wedding sometime in the future but no date has been set due to a busy work schedule.

'With thanks for the interest, but he has no further comments to make at the moment.'

The engagement came less than three years after he tried to kill himself during an unhappy spell in his life where he struggled to cope with fame, loneliness and the break-up of his previous relationship.

Mr Fry, who suffers from bipolar disorder, revealed that in 2012 he tried to kill himself with a cocktail of vodka and pills, and was only saved by a producer who discovered him.

Friends have credited the young stand-up comic, who is 30 years Fry's junior, with putting a smile back on the actor's face following a crippling battle with depression.

It appears they may have become engaged just before Christmas as they have given formal notice at a registry office in Dereham, Norfolk, on December 23.

They have a year to marry before it expires.

Friends have spoken of the joy that the young man has brought to Fry's life, with one telling The Sun: 'Since Stephen met Elliott, it is like he has a new lust for life.

'We've got the old Stephen back. He has found new hope in Elliott and they thrive off each other.'

Wedding bells: Stephen Fry has revealed he will marry Elliott Spencer, who he was first spotted with in November, after a whirlwind romance

Happy: Stephen, left today, wrote on his blog last year about feeling lonely after splitting with his partner but Elliott, right, has been praised by friends for putting a smile on his face

Break: Over the summer Stephen and his husband-to-be spent time in Italy and met with actress Emma Thompson and her children in Florence

Starstruck: Mr Spencer, a stand-up comedian, has tweeted pictures of him meeting 'heroes' Jimmy Carr and David Mitchell in the past year

The 27-year-old writer and comedian is the son of a property developer, who is believed be a millionaire.

Robert Spencer set up Hood House Limited with a business partner and the firm has built a series of new homes in Hampshire, West Sussex and on the Isle of Wight.

He has just sold the last property at his new development - consisting of two, three and four bedroom homes - near Waterlooville, Hampshire.

His son went to Park Gate Primary School which is just 300 yards away from their £500,000 home.
The family's neighbour Marina Worthy,79, said: 'When I came to live here 20 years ago the ball would come over the back of my garden.

"I would always go and give it back to Elliott. I've not seen him since he was young but he was a nice little boy.

'I'm pleased for him. The age gap isn't a problem, if him and Stephen are happy, they're happy.

'Life is different now, you have got to get with the times. I wish them all the best.'

Another neighbour, who asked not to be named, said: 'Elliott is a lovely man. He had a dog, a beagle, which he loved so much.

'He went to the local school and he is a very happy person. He loved his dog but I don't see him too often as he has moved up to London.'

After the pair were seen eating at a restaurant together in November - Fry looking carefree and smiling - they were also reportedly pictured hanging out at his West London home.

They were also been reportedly seen together at Ascot racecourse in Berkshire, UK, and London's Savoy Hotel.