SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Magnotta found guilty of first-degree murder

CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Tuesday, December 23, 2014 6:09AM EST
Last Updated Tuesday, December 23, 2014 11:26AM EST
Luka Rocco Magnotta has been found guilty on all counts in the murder and dismemberment of Chinese engineering student Jun Lin, in a trial that hinged on Magnotta's mental state at the time of the grisly killing.
It took the eight women and four men on the jury eight days of deliberation to reach a verdict.
The jury also found Magnotta guilty of criminally harassing Prime Minister Stephen Harper and other MPs, guilty of mailing obscene and indecent material, guilty of committing an indignity to a body, and guilty of publishing obscene materials.

Lin was last seen alive entering Magnotta's Montreal apartment on May 24, 2012. One day later, a video surfaced online that showed Magnotta stabbing and dismembering Lin's lifeless body. It was titled "One Lunatic, One Ice Pick."
Magnotta, 32, fled to Europe, where German police caught up with him inside a Berlin Internet café on June 4.
The defence did not dispute that Magnotta caused Lin's death. However, Magnotta's lawyers argued that he is schizophrenic and that their client suffered a psychotic episode when he killed Lin. Therefore, they said, he was unable to distinguish right from wrong.
As a result, the defence asked the jury to find Magnotta not criminally responsible for Lin's death. The Crown argued that Magnotta was misdiagnosed and that his behaviour was the result of personality disorder.
The jury, which could have found Magnotta guilty of first- or second-degree murder, manslaughter, or not criminally responsible due to mental disorder, had to consider testimony from 66 witnesses, as well as hundreds of pages of documents including medical files, reports from experts, and physical evidence.
Among the defence witnesses were two forensic psychiatrists who diagnosed Magnotta as schizophrenic. Drs. Joel Watts and Marie-Frederique Alllard said that Magnotta was in a deep psychotic state at the time Lin was killed and was therefore unable to distinguish right from wrong.
The trial also heard from Dr. Joel Paris, a psychiatrist who saw Magnotta approximately one month before Lin was killed. He did not see signs of schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, but did diagnose Magnotta with borderline personality disorder because of his difficult relationships, compulsive behaviour, and mood swings.
A key Crown witness was British journalist Alex West, who met with Magnotta in December, 2011, to discuss cat-killing videos posted online. Magnotta sent West an email to say that the cats' slayings would be followed with the filmed murder of a human being. Lin was killed less than six months later
Before he left Canada, Magnotta mailed some of Lin's body parts to people across Canada, including the federal Conservative Party's Ottawa headquarters. The prime minister's deputy chief of staff, Jenni Byrne, testified that her office received a package containing Lin's foot. That package was never opened -- an aide noticed a strong odour, and Byrne told the aide to call 911.

Read more: Luka Rocco Magnotta found guilty on all counts | CTV News

Not a surprise, still, thank goodness.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
The only thing that surprises me is that they took a week to reach that decision.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The only thing that surprises me is that they took a week to reach that decision.

I don't know, I could see myself advocating for doing the deliberation process thoroughly just because the case is so big. I won't second guess the jury on that one.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
“Pokey” as slang for “jail” dates to early 20th century America and is actually a variant form of “pogey,” a 19th century English word for “poorhouse” or “welfare hotel.”* The roots of “pogey” are largely a mystery, but the word may be related to the adjective “poky,” an interesting word in itself.* The original sense of “poky,” in the 18th century, was, logically, “something that pokes,” i.e., projects or points out (as in a “poke bonnet,” a style of the day that featured a prominent brim).* In the 19th century, the word came to mean “cramped or confined,” as a small room might make a resident feel “poked at” by the walls.* Since jail cells are not known for their generous elbow room, this is probably the connection between “poky” (cramped) and “pokey” (jail).
Do you think the term Pokey came from prison sex?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Magnotta found guilty of first-degree murder

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
“Pokey” as slang for “jail” dates to early 20th century America and is actually a variant form of “pogey,” a 19th century English word for “poorhouse” or “welfare hotel.”* The roots of “pogey” are largely a mystery, but the word may be related to the adjective “poky,” an interesting word in itself.* The original sense of “poky,” in the 18th century, was, logically, “something that pokes,” i.e., projects or points out (as in a “poke bonnet,” a style of the day that featured a prominent brim).* In the 19th century, the word came to mean “cramped or confined,” as a small room might make a resident feel “poked at” by the walls.* Since jail cells are not known for their generous elbow room, this is probably the connection between “poky” (cramped) and “pokey” (jail).

Possibly. The reference to cramped conditions may also come from "poke," an English corruption of the French "poche," meaning "pocket," in the medieval sense of a small bag, often fastened to the belt. This would also refer to the difficulty of getting into or out of a poke, as the owner is likely to guard it carefully.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Radio-Canada confirms Luka Rocco Magnotta will be withdrawing his applications to appeal. #cbcmtl