Joe Cocker - Dead

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Rock star Joe Cocker dead at 70 - Yorkshire Post

SHEFFIELD-born rock star Joe Cocker has died after a battle with lung cancer. He was 70.

The star, who rose to fame in the Sixties, had hits with The Beatles’ song With A Little Help From My Friends and later, in a duet with Jennifer Warnes, Up Where We Belong

A long-time US resident, he died at home in Colorado.

He was born in Sheffield and by 1961 was living a double life, working as a gas fitter by day and transforming himself into a club singer at night.

In 2007 he was installed into the city’s Hall of Fame. That same year he was awarded an OBE for his services to music.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
RiP.. mad dog and englishman.

along with Jimi Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner.. his cover of With a Little Help from my Friends.. was the signature tune of Woodstock.. and of the 60's

Last edited:

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
I playeds with a guy for years who's first gig was with Joe Cocker--when he was just 15. I guess his regular guitar player crocked his liver drinnking too much.

RIP Joe.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Time marches on it wasn't too long ago that we were saying goodbye to Dean Martin
and Sinatra. The old guys they said well the next generation of old guys is now ready
to take the stage Joe was one of them. The problem is after this generation of artists
is gone the real musicians will have left the building with them.
RIP Joe you earned it and your legacy will of course live on it doesn't matter how
many hits one had it matters as to how good the music was.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
The song he sang, "you are so beautiful", always makes me think about my daughters. Unique, one of a kind, original. I liked his voice because he was different. One of my all time favorites .

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
One of the most memorable concerts I ever saw was Joe at the old Montreal Forum in 1970 (?) The place was filled to capacity and when he started singing there was not a single person in the joint that was not up on their feet dancing. And we danced until the last encore. The energy that night was not just electric, it was nuclear.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
It's hard not to think of Joe Cocker without thinking of Leon Russell, his honky tonk piano man with Mad Dogs and Englishmen. Leon died November 13th in his sleep, from natural causes (quite a feat for musicians of the era) at age 74. He had a great late 60s, early 70s personna and look, and was a major backup and studio figure in Rock for the last 50 years. Rip.

Last edited: