Cineplex Postpones Screenings of "The Interview" in Canada

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
So either North Korea is an actual threat to the free worlds' safety or the theatres have all got together to publicize this 'threat' to it's maximum to build the hype and maximize ticket sales....
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Cineplex postpones Canadian showings of 'The Interview' after hacker threats | Entertainment & Showbiz from CTV News

Cineplex says it will “postpone” showing “The Interview” in Canada amid hackers’ threats of terrorist attacks in theatres that are showing the movie.

“After careful consideration of this unprecedented and complex situation, Cineplex Entertainment … will postpone presentation of the Sony Pictures movie, The Interview, ”the country’s largest theatre chain said in a statement Wednesday.
“Cineplex takes seriously its commitment to the freedom of artistic expression, but we want to reassure our guests and staff that their safety and security is our number one priority. We look forward to a time when this situation is resolved and those responsible are apprehended.”

Cineplex joins AMC, Regal Cinemas and Cinemark in the U.S., who also said they won’t be showing the Sony Pictures comedy, which was slated for release on Christmas Day.

Seth Rogen and James Franco star in the movie as television journalists involved in a CIA plot to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. The movie has been denounced in North Korea, which reportedly said that the film’s release would be an intolerable “act of war.”

In a threatening message, hackers calling themselves Guardians of Peace invoked 9/11 and warned people to stay away from places where the movie will be shown.

The FBI has said that it is aware of the threats and continues to investigate.
The same hackers breached Sony’s data files and released embarrassing emails between the studio’s executives, release schedules and corporate financial records, along with other sensitive information.
Sony did not immediately comment on theatre chains’ decision not to show “The Interview.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
N. Korea pretty much b**** slapped Sony and Hollywood.

I bet they cave and pull the movie. Just a guess.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
"i can't believe they reacted this way" - bee-stung sony executive after attacking hornet's nest with giant stick
"we honestly had no idea that a dictatorship with extensive labor camps and no contact with the outside world would react this way" - sony
"but will it play in pyongyang?" - sony marketing exec
sony cancels upcoming project - i keel you, putin!
lol.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
They DID pull it!

Sony says they are considering a video on demand release.

Typical liberal Hollywood. Weak and cowardly.

Just like Hollywood changing the terrorists from the Tom Clancy novel "The Sum of All Fears" from Islamic Extremist to E. European/Russian Neo-Nazi White Supremacists when they made it into a movie.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
You know you're having fun when a Seth Rogan movie turns into a foreign policy issue.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It's probably not a good idea to advertise that you're a ***** who can be intimidated by foreigners.

They did just that didn't they.

When it comes to artistic freedom... best stick to the safe areas.

But Team America didn't back down!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfK9UPEQavo

They'll make it up in DVD sales. It's just become a "must have"

It just might.

But then again who says the N. Koreans will back off. They already got them to stop the release.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Censorship imposed on Americans by foreign powers. That's something no one would have attempted in the past.

No they wouldn't.

But boy did N. Korea make those liberals in Hollywood shudder! They bowed right down.

I think N. Korea should make Sony apologize to Kim Jong-un.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
What a society of cowards and wimps we have become.

We probably do not deserve to survive.

This movie should be shown free at theatres throughout the continent....

For the same reason that the "Mohammed" cartoons should have been printed on the front page of every newspaper in the west.

Norks Nix Yanks' Pix

by Mark Steyn
December 17, 2014

It all look so easy in the movies: Hollywood stars Seth Rogen and James Franco outwit anonymous North Korean extras in The Interview

I was barely aware of The Interview until, while sitting through a trailer for what seemed like just another idiotic leaden comedy, my youngest informed me that the North Koreans had denounced the film as "an act of war". If it is, they seem to have won it fairly decisively: Kim Jong-Un has just vaporized a Hollywood blockbuster as totally as if one of his No Dong missiles had taken out the studio. As it is, the fellows with no dong turned out to be the executives of Sony Pictures.
I wouldn't mind but this is the same industry that congratulates itself endlessly - not least in its annual six-hour awards ceremony - on its artists' courage and bravery. Called on to show some for the first time in their lives, they folded like a cheap suit. As opposed to the bank-breaking suit their lawyers advised them they'd be looking at if they released the film and someone put anthrax in the popcorn. I think of all the occasions in recent years when I've found myself sharing a stage with obscure Europeans who've fallen afoul of Islam - Swedish artists, Danish cartoonists, Norwegian comediennes, all of whom showed more courage than these Beverly Hills bigshots.
I said on Rush on Monday and with John Oakley in Toronto on Wednesday that The Interview was an "edgy" comedy only in Hollywood terms. Ever since Team America, the Kim dynasty has been the homicidal nutjobs it's safe to make jokes about. Produce a comedy about the Iranian mullahs or the ISIS honchos or any of their coreligionists and you risk finding a far more motivated crowd waiting for you at the stage door. Best to stick to the North Koreans, the one member of the axis of evil you can play for laughs.
Until now.
In my new book The [Un]documented Mark Steyn (personally autographed copies of which make a delightful Christmas present your loved one will cherish forever), I have an entire section called "Last Laughs" - on banned jokes, canceled comedies, the plays we'll never see, the books we'll never read. On page 363, I quote Stephen Breyer, one of the genius jurists of America's Supreme Court, arguing that maybe free speech didn't extend to upsetting Islam - that provoking Muslims was a classic example of "shouting fire in a crowded theatre". And I commented:
More importantly, the logic of Breyer's halfwit intervention is to incentivize violence, and undermine law itself. What he seems to be telling the world is that Americans' constitutional rights will bend to intimidation...
It is a basic rule of life that if you reward bad behavior, you get more of it.
And, as I've been saying since America Alone (personally autographed copies, etc, etc), it was always naive to assume that the lessons of such cravenness would be apparent only to Islam. As I said to John Oakley on the radio, why shouldn't Kim Jong-Un cut himself a piece of that action? How about, say, Putin?
Free speech is in retreat around the world. Twenty-five years ago, through all the violent demonstrations and murders of associated figures, The Satanic Verses remained in print and in almost every bookstore. Were it a new book being pitched today, no publisher would take it. I see that, following the disappearance of The Interview, a Texan movie theater replaced it with a screening of Team America. That film wouldn't get made today, either.
Hollywood has spent the 21st century retreating from storytelling into a glossy, expensive CGI playground in which nothing real is at stake. That's all we'll be getting from now on. Oh, and occasional Oscar bait about embattled screenwriters who stood up to the House UnAmerican Activities Committee six decades ago, even as their successors cave to, of all things, Kim's UnKorean Activities Committee. American pop culture - supposedly the most powerful and influential force on the planet - has just surrendered to a one-man psycho-state economic basket-case that starves its own population.
Kim Jong-won.

Norks Nix Yanks' Pix :: SteynOnline

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I'm still not convinced the whole thing isn't contrived for publicity.

N. Korea may well have said It's an act of war. If the threats are legitimate, then it's not just Sony Pictures that's capitulated to these demands. It's the entire USA and Canada. There are N. Korean terrorists on US and Canadian soil who have the ability to enforce through violence it's demands. It seems highly suspect. doesn't it?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Sony and the theater companies are wimps.

At least we can finally stop talking about a non-issue (like ebola or ISIS) and start talking about a real threat.