Student Mugged, Says He Deserved It Because of His ‘Privilege’

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
yes, that's right.

the douche that was mugged

Senior Oliver Friedfeld and his roommate were held at gunpoint and mugged recently. However, the GU student isn’t upset. In fact he says he “can hardly blame [his muggers].”

“Not once did I consider our attackers to be ‘bad people.’ I trust that they weren’t trying to hurt me. In fact, if they knew me, I bet they’d think I was okay,” wrote Friedfeld in an editorial featured in The Hoya, the university’s newspaper. “The fact that these two kids, who appeared younger than I, have even had to entertain these questions suggests their universes are light years away from mine.”
Friedfeld claims it is the pronounced inequality gap in Washington, D.C. that has fueled these types of crimes. He also says that as a middle-class man, he does not have the right to judge his muggers.
“Who am I to stand from my perch of privilege, surrounded by million-dollar homes and paying for a $60,000 education, to condemn these young men as ‘thugs?’” asks Friedfeld. “It’s precisely this kind of ‘otherization’ that fuels the problem.”
Who are you? Well, you’re an inadvertent clone of Robert Fisk, the leftwing British journalist and namesake of the popular Blogosphere technique of fisking, who famously wrote after being attacked while covering the war in Afghanistan in late 2001, “My Beating is a Symbol of this Filthy War.” Fisk added, “In fact, if I were the Afghan refugees of Kila Abdullah, close to the Afghan-Pakistan border, I would have done just the same to Robert Fisk. Or any other Westerner I could find.” Or shorter Fisk: “I totally had it coming.”
Not mention the second coming of a zillion effete doctrinaire Manhattan liberals from the bad old days of the 1970s. Or as Jonah Goldberg noted in his August G-File on “Ferguson Agonistes”:
I grew up in New York City in the 1970s, when race riots were a thing — though not as much of a thing as they were in the 1960s. And that’s part of the problem. In the 1960s, you could see the point of race riots (though less so in the North where they were quite common). But by the 1970s, liberals had incorporated race riots into their mythology as noble “happenings” even though the romance of rebellion had lost its plausibility. And by the 1980s, tragedy had been fully swamped by farce. It is an axiomatic truth going back to Socrates: Nothing can be wholly noble if Al Sharpton is involved. Nonetheless, it was amazing to watch New York liberals act like battered spouses as they tried to explain why blacks are right to loot while at the same time they shouldn’t do it.
To mash-up George Santayana and Irving Kristol, a leftist is someone who refuses to learn from history, and is thus doomed to get mugged by it, but refuses to press charges afterwards.

Ed Driscoll » Student Mugged, Says He Deserved It Because of His ‘Privilege’

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Rush was all over this on his show yesterday. The writer will be working in the civil service some day. Putin and Xi are salivating at the intellectual demise of the US.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Too bad he didn't wave a bible and yell Jesus, forgiveness, and scripture. He'd being doing the right wing news rounds as a family values hero. All that talk of socio-economics is pure liberal evil.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Counseling not necessary... After enough beatings and spending cash to replace watches, laptops, etc, he'll start to ask the pertinent questions, about why he's getting robbed and beaten by the same guys over and over and over again.
the thing is, his stuff will all be replaced easily by his parents and while the lean of this thread is to trash the left, that isn't really the problem here, it's multi-layered and this kid is just a reflection of the confusion which exists out there

I also found it interesting that he views middle class as easily capable of owning million dollar homes.

the kid is deluded

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Too bad he didn't wave a bible and yell Jesus, forgiveness, and scripture. He'd being doing the right wing news rounds as a family values hero.

You've described the left-wing religious fervor... Right wing is 'eye for an eye'

All that talk of socio-economics is pure liberal evil.

Wonder if buddy feels guilty enough to forfeit his education and spread that cash his parents forked-out to the 'po folk that he owes?

Yeah, probably doesn't feel that guilty

the thing is, his stuff will all be replaced easily by his parents and while the lean of this thread is to trash the left, that isn't really the problem here, it's multi-layered and this kid is just a reflection of the confusion which exists out there

I also found it interesting that he views middle class as easily capable of owning million dollar homes.

the kid is deluded

My take is that this kid doesn't understand what it took for his folks to fund his lifestyle... He takes it for granted.

On the other hand, the time will come when he understands how much time and effort it takes to generate the money for tuition, fees, supplies, technology, living, etc.. At this point, that theft will be equated with that effort time and likely, he'll not be so apt to donate his goods whilst blaming himself at the same time

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

the kid is deluded

The problem is his stuff will get replaced by his parents. He will maintain no value to any possession so if one gets stolen, it means nothing. If he needs to struggle for the money to buy the goods, he will be a bit more protective.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
You've described the left-wing religious fervor... Right wing is 'eye for an eye'

Wonder if buddy feels guilty enough to forfeit his education and spread that cash his parents forked-out to the 'po folk that he owes?

Yeah, probably doesn't feel that guilty

My take is that this kid doesn't understand what it took for his folks to fund his lifestyle... He takes it for granted.

On the other hand, the time will come when he understands how much time and effort it takes to generate the money for tuition, fees, supplies, technology, living, etc.. At this point, that theft will be equated with that effort time and likely, he'll not be so apt to donate his goods whilst blaming himself at the same time
Problem appears to be genetic. Bloodlines don't have enough rightwing genes. That goes for him and the muggers. Only cure is switching to Republican. Isn't every problem or issue directly linked to partisan politics?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Problem appears to be genetic. Bloodlines don't have enough rightwing genes. That goes for him and the muggers. Only cure is switching to Republican. Isn't every problem or issue directly linked to partisan politics?

Not related to partisan politics or religion.

The kid is a natural born idiot and in all likelihood will be removed from the gene pool by the very people that will be mugging him weekly

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I hope they get him again. Nothing painful... just him forking over another wallet full and his phone.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
I hope they get him again. Nothing painful... just him forking over another wallet full and his phone.

You should fully expect that he will be targeted by all kinds of low lifes, especially now that he has his name and photo published, he's an easy mark that feels he owes these poor wee lambs.

He's chosen to be a victim and throughout his life, he will be taken advantage of by employers, co-workers, neighbors, family, etc let alone strangers on the street

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
he's as guilty as they are. - reciprocal sin - it's the hooker/john thing - if you flaunt your wealth before the destitute you're an accessory to the theft/robbery. kinda like when you behave in a way that makes someone want to kill you, you're just as guilty of murder.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The kid was just rationalizing. If he acted irrational then all would be just fine.