Man in prison 19 years for molesting freed after claim recanted

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Jerry Lee Brock, 55, had been in prison since his conviction for first-degree molestation in 1995. In 2012, the alleged victim, Regina Rush, came forward to say she made the whole thing up, partly as a way to get more attention from her mother.

Last week, Thurston County Superior Court Judge Erik Price ordered a new trial after finding the recantation credible, and on Thursday, he signed an order vacating Brock's conviction. The order stated that Brock "shall no longer remain in the custody of the Washington State Department of Corrections."

"He was all smiles," said Brock's lawyer, public defender Patrick O'Connor. "His brother was there to pick him up and take him home. It was very satisfying to see."

Brock was released with a few conditions, including that he remain in the state, not possess firearms and not use drugs. A new trial was scheduled for February, but it wasn't clear prosecutors would proceed with it, given that the girl's story was the primary evidence against him.

Rush was 11 years old when she accused Brock, a friend of her mother, of molesting her while she was sleeping. She repeated the allegations at trial, and Brock was convicted. He was sentenced to life in prison under the state's "three-strikes" law; he also had convictions for burglary and promoting prostitution.

But in 2012, Rush came forward to say she was haunted by what she had done. In a six-page, typewritten admission, she denied that Brock touched her inappropriately. She said she made up the story because she wanted attention from her mother and because she worried that Brock was a drug user and a bad influence on her mom.

Price held a hearing Nov. 10 to assess Rush's credibility. Now 31 and a mother herself, she testified under oath, detailing that she had previously been taken away from her mother due to her mother's drug use, and she didn't want it to happen again.

"Ms. Rush testified that she realized just how wrong it is to make such serious false accusations," the judge wrote in his order Thursday. "The dishonesty was eating away at her inside and she didn't want to carry that burden any longer. ... She simply wanted to clear her conscience."

Prosecutors argued that Rush may be recanting because she disagreed with the length of Brock's sentence. The judge rejected that, noting that Rush didn't even know Brock was still in prison when she came forward in 2012.

"The Court concludes that Ms. Rush's recantation was not motivated by anything other than her stated desire to tell the truth," Price wrote.

more

Man in prison 19 years freed after claim recanted | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Sad that so many innocents have spent time in prison for crimes they did not commit. And when the new trial is over, the taxpayers will have to fork over millions in compensation for the victim.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Sad that so many innocents have spent time in prison for crimes they did not commit. And when the new trial is over, the taxpayers will have to fork over millions in compensation for the victim.
not to mention how it victimizes true sexual assault victims because we question their experience....because we have to

also reality is, this kid was in a super bad situation and just didn't know where to turn for help so she did what she thought would best help her survival

it's an endless circle of violence, addiction and need with the kids trapped in the middle

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I was a teacher and know that children are not immune to LYING if it furthers their cause. Lane
Hi Lane, welcome to the forum...remember those cases where the children charged a daycare with using them for Satanic worship...it's a wonder those people weren't burned alive at the stake, it ruined all of their lives financially at least. Later it was realized all wrong, all lies and coercion and misunderstanding.

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
and this is another prime example of why the brainless should never get their wish of bringing back capital punishment.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
not to mention how it victimizes true sexual assault victims because we question their experience....because we have to

also reality is, this kid was in a super bad situation and just didn't know where to turn for help so she did what she thought would best help her survival

it's an endless circle of violence, addiction and need with the kids trapped in the middle

One more reason why drug possession needs to be legalized and addictions treated as health problems instead of criminal problems.

and this is another prime example of why the brainless should never get their wish of bringing back capital punishment.

Why? Was he sentenced to death?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'm a little upset with the sanctions Brock has to face, Were they worried that Brock might want to retaliate against the stupid woman who lied to put brock in prison in the first place? I hope he can get a reasonable settlement.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I'm a little upset with the sanctions Brock has to face, Were they worried that Brock might want to retaliate against the stupid woman who lied to put brock in prison in the first place? I hope he can get a reasonable settlement.
yes, I was shocked by that too, it's almost like a part of them can't quite let go of being wrong, so let's hang tough maybe see if there's a bit more doubt

a terrible travesty against this man

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Sorry gerry but I don't have a problem with executing kid diddlers. Keeps them from reoffending. Murders too when there is no doubt about guilt.

There is supposed to be no doubt before sentencing regardless of the sentence.

Didn't we used to have the death penalty for rape not too long ago ?

If you call fifty plus years ago not long ago.

When a murder is witnessed by many, then what gerry?

Multiple witnesses have also been known on occasion to recant.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
There is supposed to be no doubt before sentencing regardless of the sentence.

If you call fifty plus years ago not long ago.

Multiple witnesses have also been known on occasion to recant.

You never heard of a TV camera or cell phone video? How about hundreds of people witnessing, give your brain a shake so you do not make another stupid statement.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
You never heard of a TV camera or cell phone video? How about hundreds of people witnessing, give your brain a shake so you do not make another stupid statement.

Sure, and how many cases are there of those?

As for "another stupid statement," I didn't make a single one. Not one thing I said is untrue. Witnesses have recanted, evidence on occasion is tampered with, the justice system is supposed to have no doubt on guilt before conviction but mistakes still happen.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
2 more released...........

Ricky Jackson, Wiley Bridgeman absolved of Cleveland killing after 40 years

Key witness recants testimony given as a child, saying he was coerced by detectives

Two men convicted nearly 40 years ago in a 1975 Cleveland slaying have walked out of jail as free men, after a witness in the trial recanted the testimony he gave as a young boy.

Sixty-year-old Wiley Bridgeman exited the Cuyahoga County jail just a few hours after 57-year-old Ricky Jackson did the same.

Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Judge Richard McMonagle dismissed the charges against the two men Friday after the key witness against Jackson, Bridgeman ​and his brother Ronnie Bridgeman, ​who was 13 at the time of the trial, said last year Cleveland police detectives coerced him into testifying that the three killed businessman Harry Franks the afternoon of May 19, 1975.

Bridgeman embraced his brother, who was released in 2003 and is now known as Kwame Ajamu, upon leaving the courthouse.

The Bridgemans' death sentences were commuted to life in prison after the U.S. Supreme Court outlawed capital punishment in 1978.

Vernon, now 52, did not recant until a minister visited him at a hospital in 2013. Vernon broke down during a court hearing for Jackson on Tuesday as he described the threats by detectives and the burden of guilt he had carried for so long.

Vernon, in an affidavit signed earlier this year, says he did not recognize anyone when he is shown a lineup of suspects in the 1975 shooting. He said he was pressured to implicate Jackson and the Bridgeman brothers.

"[A detective] got really loud and angry and started yelling at me and calling me a liar," Vernon said. "The detective said I was too young to go to jail, but he would arrest my parents for perjury, because I was backing out."

"You have to understand I was 12 years old at the time. I thought I was doing the right thing." (See full affidavit below.)

Ricky Jackson, Wiley Bridgeman absolved of Cleveland killing after 40 years - World - CBC News