Keystone XL pipeline bill fails to pass US Senate by 1 vote

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Keystone XL pipeline bill fails to pass US Senate by 1 vote

The US Senate failed to fast-track the Keystone XL pipeline project, falling one vote short of breaking a filibuster against the bill, which would have allowed the transport of crude oil from Canada's tar sands to the Gulf of Mexico.

The bill failed despite garnering 59 “Yes” votes to 41 “No” votes. All Republican senators voted “Yes,” and they were joined by 14 Democrats. Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.), who co-sponsored the bill, needed one more vote to pass it but could not persuade another Democrat to go along.

Landrieu, the chairwoman of the Senate Energy Committee, originally introduced the measure confident that there was enough support for the tar sands pipeline. The senator is facing a run-off election for her seat on December 6 and wanted to be seen as a key player in the pipeline project's passage.

Earlier today, the White House indicated that President Barack Obama would veto legislation fast-tracking the Keystone pipeline. A spokesman said Obama does not support the legislation because it’s a decision that should be made through “the regular process.”

The Obama administration will have to make a “national interest” determination on the pipeline, which will take in factors like economics, geopolitics and the environment. One of the president’s main concerns is whether the project will “significantly exacerbate” carbon-dioxide emissions.

However, with Republicans taking control of both the House and Senate next year, they are likely to fast-track approval next year. The top Republican in the Senate, Mitch McConnell (Ky.), already said the new Congress will quickly arrange a vote on the project. If passed, President Obama would have to decide whether or not to veto the bill.

“Senate Democrats once again stood in the way of a shovel-ready jobs project that would help thousands of Americans find work,” McConnell said in statement. “Once the 114th Congress convenes, the Senate will act again on this important legislation, and I look forward to the new Republican majority taking up and passing the Keystone jobs bill early in the New Year.”

The project would transport 830,000 barrels of oil per day from the tar sands of Alberta, Canada down to Nebraska. Over the last decade, oil companies have started extracting oil from Alberta’s tar sands, but the gooey mix of sand, clay and oil is difficult to ship to refineries to turn it into usable fuel. The pipeline would help by offering a connection to refineries in Texas. Labor unions support the project because it would bring 42,000 jobs over its two-year construction period, with just 35 permanent jobs.

Environmental groups, meanwhile, say producing oil from Canada’s tar sands is energy-intensive and will add 17 percent more carbon dioxide than regular oil production over the project's life-cycle, exacerbating global warming. Opponents are also concerned that the pipeline will put nearby communities at risk of oil spills into water supplies.

Sen. Angus King (I-Maine), who was considered a "swing vote" regarding the the bill, said it was not Congress' place to decide Keystone's fate.

"Congress is not -- nor should it be -- in the business of legislating the approval or disapproval of a construction project," he said in a statement. "And while I am frustrated that the President has refused to make a decision on the future of the pipeline, I don’t believe that short-circuiting the process to circumvent his Administration is in the best interest of the American people."

source: http://rt.com/usa/206711-keystone-p..._medium=aplication_chrome&utm_campaign=chrome

Well the US don't want it, BC don't want it... maybe they just need to build the dam thing to the Maritimes already.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
and it will be vetoed; yes he can!

And there is a VERY good chance the veto will be tossed out by Congress.

Yeah, this President is such a useless piece of idiotic crap.....Justin's brother from another mother?

Boehner said it right....Obama is ignoring the will of the American people, on this, and on immigration.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Not yet Cliffy.

Better start now trying to save the McKenzie Valley. It's next and the people of YK are rooting for it.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
And there is a VERY good chance the veto will be tossed out by Congress.

Yeah, this President is such a useless piece of idiotic crap.....Justin's brother from another mother?

Boehner said it right....Obama is ignoring the will of the American people, on this, and on immigration.

given the current vote, it's a long way to realize a 2/3 majority. He may have said it before, but just a few days ago I finally heard Obama state the most salient point in a media scrum. From an American perspective, KXL offers nothing to the U.S.; it was, it is and it will remain a vehicle for Canada/oil companies to export refined tarsands sludge from those U.S. Gulf Coast refineries on through to Asia.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
given the current vote, it's a long way to realize a 2/3 majority. He may have said it before, but just a few days ago I finally heard Obama state the most salient point in a media scrum. From an American perspective, KXL offers nothing to the U.S.; it was, it is and it will remain a vehicle for Canada/oil companies to export refined tarsands sludge from those U.S. Gulf Coast refineries on through to Asia.
What about the kerogen from ND? The upgraded conventional heavy oil, diesel and JP(jet fuel) from SK and ND? The sweet crude from AB and SK?

It helps to know what you're talking about fagro.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

I absolutely LOVE IT!

Cliffy, do you have any form of logic that understands that this will fast track Northern Gateway?

Add to that Enbridge Line 9 and Energy East.

You are such a fool.. You and the rest of the ecotards have just unleashed a wholesale expansion of Canadian based pipelines across Canada.

Thanks bro, the options on my energy futures are getting more valuable as each day goes by (PS - especially oil sands options).

Cheers bud, you just made me a piss-pot full of cash

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I absolutely LOVE IT!

Cliffy, do you have any form of logic that understands that this will fast track Northern Gateway?

Add to that Enbridge Line 9 and Energy East.

You are such a fool.. You and the rest of the ecotards have just unleashed a wholesale expansion of Canadian based pipelines across Canada.

Thanks bro, the options on my energy futures are getting more valuable as each day goes by (PS - especially oil sands options).

Cheers bud, you just made me a piss-pot full of cash
I didn't make you anything. I had nothing to do with a US decision. I just like seeing you and the other rapers and pillagers get excited for nothing. The world trend is moving away from oil but that is not what is going to break you dinosaurs in the long run. Your faith in an unsustainable future might. Grab what you can now and who cares about future generations. Greed will be the death of you guys.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Wonder if the eco-nazis will be picketing up there in -40?

Not without propane.

I didn't make you anything. I had nothing to do with a US decision. I just like seeing you and the other rapers and pillagers get excited for nothing. The world trend is moving away from oil but that is not what is going to break you dinosaurs in the long run. Your faith in an unsustainable future might. Grab what you can now and who cares about future generations. Greed will be the death of you guys.

Do you stop accepting OAS that comes directly from Evil Corp's profits?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

You don't get it bud.

You have been played by the very eco-lobbies that you placed your faith in.

It's sad, you're a decent guy Cliffy (at heart), but can't see the big picture.. Your movement has been sold-out and within 6 months, the flood-gates will be lowered and all the good intentions you believed in will be dashed on the rocks.

Sorry

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I have no faith in eco-lobbies or any other human organization. In fact, I have very little faith in humanity in general. And I do see the big picture but from a different perspective. The adjustment of 2008 was just a warning. The big one is on the way and so is WWIII. Invest in weapons of mass destruction. That is your future.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
It helps to know what you're talking about fagro.
petros dance!
I've been updated on this latest wrinkle of your attempted marginalization play. Along with your mind-numbing squawk-fest about "drywall/drywalling", you've been incessantly referring to me as "Fagro". I incorrectly attributed this to your possible homophobia; as I've been advised you believe me to be a former banned CC member named "Fagro". I trust you will elevate your game beyond indirect accusations and make a formal report of your concern to CC moderation... I presume banned members are not welcomed back in new persona form. It's a shame you can't rise above your attempted marginalization mission... but hey, go with your strengths!
It's called the petros dance. And it goes round and round.