Remembrance Day 'sergeant' Franck Gervais not in the military, DND says

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
here's our wannabe hero:

The Department of National Defence says it can find no indication that Franck Gervais, who spoke with CBC on Remembrance Day wearing a uniform and medals, is a member of the military. (CBC)

The Department of National Defence says Franck Gervais, a man who claimed to be a decorated soldier during Tuesday's Remembrance Day ceremony at the National War Memorial in Ottawa, is not a member of the Canadian Forces.

After seeing Gervais speaking as a "sergeant" on television, a number of veterans and soldiers called CBC to question his status as a soldier.

It is an offence for someone who is not serving in the military to wear a current military uniform.

"Falsely impersonating a Canadian Armed Forces member is an issue to be taken seriously and is covered under Section 419 of the Criminal Code of Canada," a spokesperson for the Defence Department said in an emailed statement.

"Such activities are a disservice to the proud men and women of the Canadian Armed Forces, who earn the right to wear their uniforms through their hard work and the sacrifices they make for our country."

CBC News spoke with Gervais's wife, and she declined to comment. CBC has not been able to reach Gervais.

The CBC issued a statement Wednesday about the event: "During CBC's extensive coverage of Remembrance Day commemorations in Ottawa, we interviewed many veterans and serving members of the Canadian Forces. These included one man who had been standing among a group of uniformed personnel. To civilian eyes, he appeared to be an authentic soldier," the statement said.

"We have since learned that he was not, that his uniform was not correct, and that he was wearing medals he had not earned. All this was drawn to our attention by veterans and serving members, who were understandably angry at seeing this counterfeit soldier. We regret this, and are following up to learn more about the man."

Warning signs?

CBC News asked Jake Flanders of the Airborne Regiment Association of Canada to review the tape from Tuesday's interview.

Flanders said a number of "red flags" jumped out at him, such as Gervais's facial hair, the red sash he wore across his uniform and his maroon beret.

"The red flags are, first off, his facial hair. In the military, you're not allowed to have a beard like that."

Flanders said that for someone claiming to be a "sergeant," Gervais wore his red sash the wrong way, while the maroon beret he wore is traditionally reserved for soldiers serving in parachute units.

"I can tell you that all sorts of people, ex-airborne people and military jumpers, were all over Facebook saying, 'Does anybody know this guy?' And there are just too many... symbols that he's faking it.

"But the thing that really irks me about him is he has a medal for bravery on," Flanders said.

"It's all wrong."

'Somebody should investigate': Fantino

Veterans Affairs Minister Julian Fantino said he had no knowledge of a man posing as a soldier but expressed concern when CBC News approached him for comment.

Fantino, who was the commissioner of the Ontario Provincial Police before jumping into politics, said he has seen similar incidents in his previous line of work.

"We've seen people pretending to be police officers in my career," he said.

"It's unfortunate that anybody would pass themselves off as a veteran when they're not — wearing medals that they're not entitled to."
Asked what could be done about the incident, Fantino said someone should investigate.

"I would suspect that somebody should investigate and pursue the issue. But I have no knowledge of it."

Remembrance Day 'sergeant' Franck Gervais not in the military, DND says - Politics - CBC News

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
My guess is he probably thought he was showing respect. I can't really see any other motive. It's not like he know the CBC would interview him.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
My guess is he probably thought he was showing respect. I can't really see any other motive. It's not like he know the CBC would interview him.

If you saw the clip on the CBC he wore this uniform at his wedding. Actually he wore this and added mix of other military like accessories to it.

He's a fraud. I feel bad for his wife.

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Alberta The Last Best West
Another little note on the beret. When you get a new one you shower with it for the first week or so as you shape it until it flops over enough that it is just over or touching the ear. Guys take a lot of pride in shaping the beret and the pizza chef style beret worn by the imposter wouldn't be tolerated on a no hook private let alone a sgt.

This is what a properly formed beret looks like:

Cpl Nick Bulger PPCLI died Afghanistan 2009.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
What a dork. Why in hell would he want to wear a uniform he had no right to wear and was illegal to wear. He could face jail time.

Do you think he will be charged?

He wanted to be seen as a hero. He wanted the adulation that comes with wearing a uniform.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Do you think he will be charged?

He wanted to be seen as a hero. He wanted the adulation that comes with wearing a uniform.

I would say he would probably be charged. The military certainly want him charged. Most civilians likely want him charged. I would want him charged. Too many Canadians died in recent conflicts to put up with some idiot who wants to pretend he's a soldier. If they left his fate to Iraq/Afghanistan veterans, he might get fifty years....:smile:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I would say he would probably be charged. The military certainly want him charged. Most civilians likely want him charged. I would want him charged. Too many Canadians died in recent conflicts to put up with some idiot who wants to pretend he's a soldier. If they left his fate to Iraq/Afghanistan veterans, he might get fifty years....:smile:
I don't want him charged. He didn't hurt nobody.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

How about instead of spending tax dollars on charging him, how about making him actually serve? If he wants to wear a uniform so bad, he should have to earn it.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Fine? Yes! Forced labour? Yes! But just sitting around in prison burdening my taxes? Absolutely not. I did'nt do anything wrong so why punish me for what he did?

Maybe community service to a veterans' organization. That would work.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
How about instead of spending tax dollars on charging him, how about making him actually serve? If he wants to wear a uniform so bad, he should have to earn it.

I'm thinking NO Twila. Why would anyone want to serve next to him?

And he wants to wear the uniform bad BUT he doesn't want to earn it or serve.

Fine? Yes! Forced labour? Yes! But just sitting around in prison burdening my taxes? Absolutely not. I did'nt do anything wrong so why punish me for what he did?

Maybe community service to a veterans' organization. That would work.

Now THAT would be a punishment to him.

Last edited: