Special winter weather statement issued for Alberta as winter arrives

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Special winter weather statement issued for Alberta as winter arrives

Winter is coming.

That's the message — literally — from Environment Canada to Albertans ahead of the weekend, when an Arctic air mass is expected to pummel the last remnants of autumn into wintry submission.

"Winter arrives this weekend," the agency said in its special weather statements.

According to meteorologists with the weather agency, a Pacific weather system will collide with a cold dome of Arctic air to bring significant snow, a risk of freezing rain and the end of patio season to southern Alberta.

A deep freeze is expected to follow.

Snow has already started falling in Grande Prairie and Edmonton, with accumulations of about 10 centimetres.

The northwestern Foothills are expected to see 20 to 25 centimetres, while central and southern parts of Alberta should see between five and 15 centimetres.

Areas from Red Deer to Lethbridge could see freezing rain Saturday evening and into early Sunday morning.

Calgary could also see freezing rain overnight.

The cold Arctic front will move in behind the snow, causing temperatures to plummet through the day Sunday.

By Monday, temperatures will drop to –18 C with the wind chill making it feel closer to –25 C in much of southern Alberta.

There are 17 special weather statements issued in total, four freezing rain warnings and eight snowfall warnings in effect.

To see all of the communities affected in more detail, click here.

source: Special winter weather statement issued for Alberta as winter arrives - Calgary - CBC News

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Alberta The Last Best West
In my neck of the woods we've got about 3" so far. Wife went to city today and said hwy was slipperier than a greased eel in a bucket of snot. Helped neighbour hang a cow today and worked around the land and wasn't really too affected but tomorrow I'll probably break out the boots which is the surest sign of winter for our family.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Snowed in a day after I got my winter supplies in, whatever shall I do to pass time for the next 6 months? highs of -15 means whoever gets the cold in the south will also get moisture in unpleasant ways. Not looking for bets but east of the line between the GOM and the Great Lakes should get a lot more and Texas better start putting in low barriers in the flash flood area as they are a bit shy on trees and beavers. In return you get land that is worthless to it being a viable pasture worth double digits per acre. Minus -25 means the outdoor rinks will be use by Remembrance Day, can't remember when the last time that happened.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If it can snow it is too cold.

Too cold for what?

snowed in a day after i got my winter supplies in, whatever shall i do to pass time for the next 6 months? Highs of -15 means whoever gets the cold in the south will also get moisture in unpleasant ways. Not looking for bets but east of the line between the gom and the great lakes should get a lot more and texas better start putting in low barriers in the flash flood area as they are a bit shy on trees and beavers. In return you get land that is worthless to it being a viable pasture worth double digits per acre. Minus -25 means the outdoor rinks will be use by remembrance day, can't remember when the last time that happened.

wtf?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You are some lucky I have all that free time, it will take that and a lot more to bring you up to speed, a lot, lot more.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The cold in Alberta is early, if it leaves earlier in the spring the that is a normal winter, if it lasts longer then that could be a sign that longer winters will become the normal winter.

With snow in the north, parts of the parched south in the US will be some moisture, more than normal, if they capture it rather than let it erode the land it is no longer a desert, it is a pasture on it's way to becoming a field.
The beavers you are looking for are in Nevada, every county except Clark County.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
For the love of God, won't someone help dig him out of his home!?! C'mon people, this is an emergency! We need shovels and put your backs into it!!!

I donate use of the new holland T9 with the blade. That sucker equals several hundred shovels but I feel it should be buried deeper.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I don't want any of your speed.

F-cking jib rats....
How old are you now? The odds are you are too old to learn even with help, still mention Russia and you go off of some rant caused by a recent would, that being something you have read or heard about rather than experienced.

I'm going to assume more than just the Police are now wearing new winter radials, that isn't always the case when snow comes to parts of BC and/or Georgia. If North Dakota missed the blizzard warnings that left the cattle out to fend for themselves the perhaps they are now more valuable alive than as an insurance write-off. (not going to hold my breath on that one)