Jehovah's Witnesses ordered to pay $13.5m to victim of sexual abuse

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
A Californian judge has ordered the Jehovah’s Witnesses to pay $13.5m to a man who was sexually abused in the 1980s by a church leader, the attorney for the victim said on Friday.

Church elders had assigned a man to work with Jose Lopez on Bible studies, even though they knew he had admitted to molesting another boy in 1982, because they felt he was “repentant”, Lopez’s attorney, Irwin Zalkin, said.

Lopez, who filed the civil suit in 2010, first went to the Spanish-speaking Kingdom Hall church in San Diego in 1985 at the age of seven, according to the complaint.

Mario Moreno, a lawyer for the church – whose parent group is the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York – told the San Diego Union-Tribune newspaper that the church will appeal against superior court judge Joan Lewis’s judgment.

“The trial judge’s decision is a drastic action for any judge to take given the circumstances of this case,” the statement in the paper said. “Jehovah’s Witnesses abhor child abuse and strive to protect children from such acts.”

The US-based Jehovah’s Witnesses number about 8 million worldwide and are known for their foreign ministries as well as their door-to-door campaigns.

Jehovah's Witnesses ordered to pay $13.5m to victim of sexual abuse | World news | The Guardian

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
More than enough to pay the fine.

I don't know a lot about their church although back in the day I researched their belief system because a woman in my building approached me a few times. Her proselytizing was very simple, almost childish and I later found out she was a new convert.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
do they have a lot of money JWs?
About an hours interest on the tax-free donations and that is after paying their Lawyer real wages. The good news is they gave up date setting, the other churches have yet to progress that far.

The last time I saw the two that used to stop by is they day they exchanged that 'knowing look' when I asked if they minded if I made an observation on an article in one of their publications. I said it involved Jesus being born about Sept,25 rather than Dec.,25 and they agreed with that part, they also confirmed that JW believe life in God's view start at conception and I agree with that but I also pointed out that the Dec.,25 celebration accidentally covered the conception date rather than the 'taxed birth'. No ready answere and they didn't come back, like ever.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
About an hours interest on the tax-free donations and that is after paying their Lawyer real wages. The good news is they gave up date setting, the other churches have yet to progress that far.

The last time I saw the two that used to stop by is they day they exchanged that 'knowing look' when I asked if they minded if I made an observation on an article in one of their publications. I said it involved Jesus being born about Sept,25 rather than Dec.,25 and they agreed with that part, they also confirmed that JW believe life in God's view start at conception and I agree with that but I also pointed out that the Dec.,25 celebration accidentally covered the conception date rather than the 'taxed birth'. No ready answere and they didn't come back, like ever.

I don't know too much about them other than they seem to have predicted the end of the earth numerous times. I think also there is a limited number of people allowed into paradise and it's not many. A quick google says:
Based on their understanding of scriptures such as Revelation 14:1-4, Jehovah's Witnesses believe that exactly 144,000 faithful Christians go to heaven to rule with Christ in the kingdom of God.

I also do not think they believe Christ to be the actual son of god like other christian religions.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I don't know a lot about their church although back in the day I researched their belief system because a woman in my building approached me a few times. Her proselytizing was very simple, almost childish and I later found out she was a new convert.
They always travel in pairs and men are sent when the one at the door is also a man. My first vist was by an elderly lady as she had 'junior' tagging along. He talked but she was clearly the boss. One said he felt sorry that I had declined their offer to attend services until I mentioned that I was online talking about the Bible quite a few hours a week, the older lady was in that background but her opinion was more important than the man's in that instance.
Since their view on money is 'said' to be benign they would make the perfect accountants, the Watch Tower Society is not a small Church and it is a business orientated as any Church is.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
They always travel in pairs and men are sent when the one at the door is also a man. My first vist was by an elderly lady as she had 'junior' tagging along. He talked but she was clearly the boss. One said he felt sorry that I had declined their offer to attend services until I mentioned that I was online talking about the Bible quite a few hours a week, the older lady was in that background but her opinion was more important than the man's in that instance.
Since their view on money is 'said' to be benign they would make the perfect accountants, the Watch Tower Society is not a small Church and it is a business orientated as any Church is.

okay, you just jogged a memory, I believe I was told years and years ago that their magazine The Watch Tower was published in a building in the States and that the production at that time was state of the art.

interesting

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The Watchtower Society is a publishing company. They are not a religion in any way others are. As far as I can ascertain, they are more like a pyramid scheme, like Amway, which is why they need to be constantly recruiting new members.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I don't know too much about them other than they seem to have predicted the end of the earth numerous times. I think also there is a limited number of people allowed into paradise and it's not many. A quick google says:

I also do not think they believe Christ to be the actual son of god like other christian religions.
Wasn't there a date early last century that they backed big time, when it failed the Church almost totally imploded. Our chats didn't always go with their version being upheld by the actual verses.
If the 144,000 are special it is because they are the first to be sealed for protection. Jesus was 'protected' in the time before the cross because the cross had to take place 1260 days after a prophecy started a 'countdown'. John was protected onlt until a certain point as his death was an event that required Jesus to assume preaching the same message. There is also going to be the same form of protection available in the 3 1/2 years before Satan's 'cross' happens. That is being put in chains when the 7th trump sounds. On that day the living from the Church will also be left alive at 3PM that day, by 6PM all the rest that qualify for the 'whole House of Israel' is alive and standing on ground in Israel. They are all in the state Jesus was in the morning of His resurrection. He could not be touched until he was glorified. For Israel that will be having a drink of water that will come out of his House of Prayer and then eat from the tree of life as it will be in the garden area again as described in Eze:47. The Church is 1/3 that survived the fire in Zec:13 and they will be joined by resurrected Gentiles going back to the time of the cross. That is the full population of the whole earth for all of the 1,000 years. This group is in training to become Shepherds after the GWT event. Technically the two witnesses are the first ones called out of the grave and they would appear to be Gentiles if Gentiles are the ones the 7 vials are for.

If that differs from what they promote then they have it wrong. lol
They are different as the don't accept the trinity teaching, one true God and Christ is his Son, that makes the Holt Spirit God's wife and Christ's mom.

okay, you just jogged a memory, I believe I was told years and years ago that their magazine The Watch Tower was published in a building in the States and that the production at that time was state of the art.

interesting
I have a tendency to do that in people, not my best trait.
as in NY,NY?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Where do those J.W.s get all their money from? In town here they have the biggest church and paved parking lot of any denomination!

When I was a teen most of the JW girls liked to party and anything else that would piss off their parents.

Yeah, I don't think they ever were particularly religious. Years ago when they held conferences in Nanaimo, the liquor stores did the biggest business of the year. God help you though if you want to give blood!