Britain's Queen Elizabeth sends her first tweet

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Britain's Queen Elizabeth sends her first tweet

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's Queen Elizabeth made her first foray into the world of social media on Friday when she sent out her inaugural message on Twitter.

"It is a pleasure to open the Information Age exhibition today at the @sciencemuseum and I hope people will enjoy visiting. Elizabeth R," the 88-year-old monarch tweeted at the opening of a new gallery at London's Science Museum.

It is a pleasure to open the Information Age exhibition today at the @ScienceMuseum and I hope people will enjoy visiting. Elizabeth R.
— BritishMonarchy (@BritishMonarchy) October 24, 2014

The message, sent at 10.35 GMT (6.35 a.m. EDT), had already been re-tweeted more than 4,000 times less than 45 minutes later.

The queen's official Twitter account @BritishMonarchy, which is run by royal aides, has issued almost 19,000 messages since its inception in 2009 and has some 725,000 followers.

source: https://ca.news.yahoo.com/britains-queen-elizabeth-sends-her-first-tweet-120100126.html

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
She sent her first email way back on 26th March 1976, becoming the first monarch to do so, from the Royal Signals and Radar Establishment (RSRE) in Malvern, Worcestershire as part of a demonstration of networking technology.

Last edited:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
exciting....she beat me...I will try to live with that

okay back to my coffee

damn she looks pretty good for her age

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Well I'm trying to find news that is more upbeat and not repetition... No Ebola, Muslim or ISIS in the title..

So you went and started threads which are normally started by Blackleaf. Not the best way to go about it! :p

She certainly is. The Queen of Canada has served Canada better than anyone over the last 62 years.

I think we've had far better hands on service from various folks over those years.

She certainly does. She's an amazing lady and long may she reign over us.

Only so Charles doesnt get the gig.

exciting....she beat me...I will try to live with that

And she got to it 4 months after I deleted my account. It was an interesting place in 2010-12 but it seems to be in decline now. Well the interesting parts are anyway.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
If that were the case we'd let her actually use some powers.

She's got some powers, which she can use.

But if you give her too many powers she'll just become another boring, unpopular politician. The monarch is far better than any politician. She also loves her country, and her people, and is more in touch with the people, than any politician.

Or decides to pass the buck.

The Queen will never abdicate. During her coronation in 1953 she promised she would serve her people all around the world until the day that she dies and that is what she will do.

Scottish Nationalists - those lowlife scumbuckets who earned the nickname "Cybernats" during the Scottish independence campaign because of their propensity to utter foul-mouthed and threatening abuse on social media sites to anyone who spoke out against Scottish independence - are now turning their sites onto somebody far better than they'll ever be: Her Majesty the Queen.

On Friday Her Majesty sent her historic first tweet to open an exhibition at the Science Museum in South Kensington, London, but it wasn't long before the tasteless abuse arrived - and many of the trolls have been identified by the Mail on Sunday as Scottish nationalists, obviously still bitter over their crushing defeat on 18th September.

One user, writing under the name Grant Macdonald, posted: ‘**** off, you’re an embarrassment.’

The user, who claims to be a Cambridge University graduate and whose profile photo is an image of the ‘Yes’ campaign’s slogan, added: ‘I never knew our monarchy had a twitter account I could abuse, complete with flags plastered all over.’

Another, writing under the name JonathanBryce45%, tweeted: ‘YOU CAN GET TO F**K AS WELL PAL!!!’

He describes himself on the social network as ‘proud to be one of the 45%’, a reference to the share of the Yes vote in the Scottish referendum.

Last week The Mail on Sunday reported the Government’s plan to raise jail sentences for trolls from six months to two years.

Chairman of the British Monarchist Society Thomas Mace Archer-Mills said: ‘The monarchy has a history of using technology to keep the institution relevant, which should be applauded. I am pleased new laws are being brought in to target trolls.’

Thank God for our Queen. She has far more dignity, grace, decency and devotion in her little finger than those lowlife Scottish nationalist trolls, who will soon be forgotten about, have in their whole bodies.

Scot Nats are accused over troll attack on Queen’s tweet: Vile responses to Her Majesty's message were posted by supporters of Scottish Independence

Historic tweet sent from Science Museum was hit with a volley of abuse
One user who said ‘F**k off' had profile photo of 'Yes' campaign's slogan
Another who wrote ‘GET TO F**K’ also linked to break-away movement
YesScotland source told Mail on Sunday: 'We condemn these messages'
British Monarchist Society pleased new laws brought in against 'net pests

By Ben Ellery for The Mail on Sunday
25 October 2014

Internet trolls who sent vile messages to the Queen after she posted her first tweet are Scottish Nationalists, it has emerged.

Her Majesty sent her historic message on Twitter on Friday to open an exhibition at the Science Museum, but then received a volley of online abuse.

The Mail on Sunday has identified a number of the trolls as supporters of Scottish independence.

The Queen sends her historic tweet from the London's Science Museum which triggered the online attacks

One user, writing under the name Grant Macdonald, posted: ‘F**k off, you’re an embarrassment.’

The user, who claims to be a Cambridge University graduate and whose profile photo is an image of the ‘Yes’ campaign’s slogan, added: ‘I never knew our monarchy had a twitter account I could abuse, complete with flags plastered all over.’

Another, writing under the name JonathanBryce45%, tweeted: ‘YOU CAN GET TO F**K AS WELL PAL!!!’

He describes himself on the social network as ‘proud to be one of the 45%’, a reference to the share of the Yes vote in the Scottish referendum.

He also wrote: ‘What world do some of these a***holes who replied to @BritishMonarchy live in? Her & her sponging clan are needing to get to f**k pronto too.’

Some of the more colurful comments which flowed in after the Queen sent her first message into cyberspace

Last week The Mail on Sunday reported the Government’s plan to raise jail sentences for trolls from six months to two years.

Chairman of the British Monarchist Society Thomas Mace Archer-Mills said: ‘The monarchy has a history of using technology to keep the institution relevant, which should be applauded. I am pleased new laws are being brought in to target trolls.’

Last night a source at YesScotland told The Mail on Sunday: ‘Throughout our campaign we called on everyone to be treated with respect and therefore condemn these messages.’

Last edited: