Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

The Trews - Highway of Heroes - YouTube

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
yes I am watching the procession now....it is amazing and emotional...very moving

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
My sister - an ER nurse in Bowmanville - could be any one of those faces. She'd hoped to have stood her last vigil with the fire fighters and police on the overpass.

Rest in Peace, Soldier

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
From now on I hope our military bullets in the weapons they use while on duty including while on the honour guard duty if not then use a wooden one so people will know it's not real even the mentally challenged ones.

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Alberta The Last Best West
From now on I hope our military bullets in the weapons they use while on duty including while on the honour guard duty if not then use a wooden one so people will know it's not real even the mentally challenged ones.

I disagree.

1. Most of the military is support trades. In fact, when deployed it takes upwards of 11 support staff to put one bayonet on the ground. That bayonet knows his stuff and there are still plenty of accidental discharges. I shutter to think of all the WOGS handling live ammo when marching in ceremony or public drills etc. Loaded weapons only belong in two places: the range and the theatre of war;

2. Canada is a peaceful relatively gun violence free country and I'd like to keep it that way. Returning unarmed military to guard the war memorial two days after the attack is a figurative middle finger to Islamic extremists;

3. He was shot in the back. Being armed wouldn't have helped.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I disagree.

1. Most of the military is support trades. In fact, when deployed it takes upwards of 11 support staff to put one bayonet on the ground. That bayonet knows his stuff and there are still plenty of accidental discharges. I shutter to think of all the WOGS handling live ammo when marching in ceremony or public drills etc. Loaded weapons only belong in two places: the range and the theatre of war;

2. Canada is a peaceful relatively gun violence free country and I'd like to keep it that way. Returning unarmed military to guard the war memorial two days after the attack is a figurative middle finger to Islamic extremists;

3. He was shot in the back. Being armed wouldn't have helped.

excellent points

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

A touching tribute to the lives of fallen Canadian soldiers has been erected along a highway near Sylvan Lake, Alta.

More than 100 Canadian flags were placed adjacent to Highway 11 over the weekend, in remembrance of the 116,000 Canadian soldiers who have lost their lives since 1900.

Allan Cameron, executive director of Veterans Voices of Canada, said the 116 flags — one flag to represent 1,000 soldiers — are meant to make people "stop, think and remember."

“If we begin to forget one soldier it is going to go down the line and we are going to forget more. The whole idea here is "we have to keep remembering," Cameron, who spearheaded the project, told CTV News.

And while the flag unveiling ceremony had been planned for a while, one woman who lost her soldier husband in a car collision said the timing of the event could not have been more perfect.

“In light of the events of the last week it is so heartwarming to see such tremendous public support not only for our serving members but our past serving members," Rhonda Draeger, wife to Sgt. Walter Draeger, told CTV News.

Canada has been mourning the deaths of 53-year-old Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent and 24-year-old Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, both who died in separate attacks last week.

“I think our guys, our two fellows who lost their lives last week, I think if they knew what was happening they’ll know that " their deaths weren't in vain," Cameron told Global News.

The flags were sponsored in the names of fallen soldiers.

According to Sylan Lake News, the flags will remain in place until mid-November, when they will be taken down and presented to the sponsored soldiers' family members.

Sylvan Lake Flag Tribute Remembers Lives Of Fallen Soldiers (PHOTOS)

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Three years ago today, Cpl. Nathan Cirillo paid the ultimate price for our country. Let's never forget folks like him who allow us to enjoy all our freedoms every single day. Thanks, corporal.