“Re-thinking White Privilege,”

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Ontario teachers’ union searching for presenters for workshop aimed at ‘re-thinking white privilege’ | National Post

No alarm bells went off when the government heard the Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario was planning to hold a workshop on “white privilege,” Education Minister Liz Sandals said Thursday.

“It’s really up to ETFO to decide what seminars they’re going to do,” she said. “They’re an independent organization and they will have a look at what courses they’re teaching I’m sure.”

The teacher’s union, with 76,000 members, has a posting on its website looking for presenters for a workshop called “Re-thinking White Privilege,” but without any definition for the term. The union is also looking for “curriculum writers for a new resource on white privilege.”

It asks only that candidates understand “white privilege and systemic issues,” and have a commitment to equity and social justice.

“There’s lots of things that unions do that I don’t necessarily agree with, but … they have a right to their own path,” said Sandals.

Teachers do need to learn about the diverse backgrounds and cultural differences of students in Ontario schools, added Sandals, who appeared uncomfortable with the term “white privilege.”

“Getting away from the title of the course, it is important that we have teachers who are sensitive to the fact that there are children who come to our schools from all around the world,” she said. “I don’t know what’s in this particular course, but the need to address diversity is a real need.”

http://www.etfo.ca/ProfessionalDevelopment/callforwriters/Documents/WhitePrivilege.pdf

Call for Workshop Presenters and Curriculum Writers
ETFO is seeking workshop presenters for the White Privilege Project. The workshop presenters will
present a new workshop called Re-Thinking White Privilege. The workshop has already been cre-
ated and is two hours in length. A one day training session will be held in Toronto in the fall of 2014
(release time provided). ETFO is also looking for curriculum writers for a new resource on white
privilege. Meeting dates will be determined after the curriculum writing team has been established.

Call for Workshop Presenters and Curriculum Writers
ETFO is seeking workshop presenters for the White Privilege Project. The workshop presenters will present a new workshop called Re-Thinking White Privilege. The workshop has already been created and is two hours in length. A one day training session will be held in Toronto in the fall of 2014
(release time provided). ETFO is also looking for curriculum writers for a new resource on white privilege. Meeting dates will be determined after the curriculum writing team has been established

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
No no, it's OK bud, I just wanted to show you the older article.

This demonstrates how far fuked they are. Instead of teaching diversity, they label it White Privilege.
No poor white boy or girls in this country.

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Alberta The Last Best West
Ever been to an Edmonton Swiss Chalet and everyone there, waitresses, hostess, cook etc is Vietnamese? How about having your windows made by a company that employees a hundred people from sales to production to installation and 90% of the workforce is East Indian? If you are in business providing goods and services to other businesses have you ever noticed how if your potential customer is a Muslim then he (never a she) disproportionately hires other Muslim contractors unless there is no other choice?

That in a nutshell is the concept of white privilege on a non white micro level.

People tend to be more comfortable around similar people. I for one practice military privilege and will always favour the former soldier over the always flat faced civvie.

There are some legitimate points to be made about the greater society enjoying the benefits of white privilege however, I think the problem is not so much the message as the messenger and their ulterior motive.