Is the right person in prison?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
She should be in a mental care facility but of course we got rid of those and put
mental patients out on the street or in unsafe homes in the hands of abusive
family members. The father should have been dealt with at the time for any abuse
but not for this action and the boyfriend was given wrong information.
She has to be in incarcerated but under what conditions?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Why? She's the one who killed her two children, not her father.

If anything, I think 5 years for the killing of two children is disgraceful. In Britain she would probably have been sentenced to spend the rest of her life in prison, without the possibility of parole, for killing two children. She would have been sentenced to die behind bars. Liberal Canada's penal system is a joke.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
If a man did that he would be classed as a serial murderer.

Correct. If a man had killed those two children people would have been baying for his blood and saying he should have his testicles ripped out before his conscious eyes, before being disembowelled whilst conscious, then have his entrails burnt, and then have his head chopped off (the way we used to deal with criminals in Britain before the liberal do-gooders ruled over us).

But because it's a woman who killed them the usual excuses have been wheeled out, the same ones which are always ruled out whenever a woman commits a crime: "She is 'troubled' ". "She has a bad upbringing." "Her father abused her as a child."

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Why? She's the one who killed her two children, not her father.

If anything, I think 5 years for the killing of two children is disgraceful. In Britain she would probably have been sentenced to spend the rest of her life in prison, without the possibility of parole, for killing two children. She would have been sentenced to die behind bars. Liberal Canada's penal system is a joke.

Do you think she was of sound mind?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Do you think she was of sound mind?

Yeah. I have reason to believe she is of sound mind, unless the doctors come along and tell us otherwise.

Put it this way, had she been a man you wouldn't have been questioning his sanity. You would have just been calling for the key to be thrown away.

Had that woman killed two children in Britain she would have been sentenced to stay in prison until she dies, with no chance of parole, like Myra Hindley, Ian Brady and Ian Huntley. In Canada, she gets five years.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yeah. I have reason to believe she is of sound mind, unless the doctors come along and tell us otherwise.

Put it this way, had she been a man you wouldn't have been questioning his sanity. You would have just been calling for the key to be thrown away.

Had that woman killed two children in Britain she would have been sentenced to stay in prison until she dies, with no chance of parole, like Myra Hindley, Ian Brady and Ian Huntley. In Canada, she gets five years.

Men don't suffer from post partum depression! -:)

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Men don't suffer from post partum depression! -:)

Yes, they do. In fact, it could well be the case that more men suffer from it than women.

An estimated 5% to 25% of women suffer from postpartum despression and an estimated 5% to 25.5% of men suffer from it.

But the fact is, the overwhelmingly vast majority of people who suffer from it - almost all of them - don't kill their children. You can't use that as an excuse. Stop making excuses for a child killer.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yes, they do. In fact, it could well be the case that more men suffer from it than women.

An estimated 5% to 25% of women suffer from postpartum despression and an estimated 5% to 25.5% of men suffer from it.

But the fact is, the overwhelmingly vast majority of people who suffer from it - almost all of them - don't kill their children. You can't use that as an excuse. Stop making excuses for a child killer.

"There's an exception to every rule"

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Yep, but there'd be lots of screaming. The burning question to me is, is there any chance that she could EVER be a decent mother!

For me the question would be does she have any right to becoming a mother and should future children be put at risk or grow up with a mother who'd killed their siblings intentionally.

She was not a minor, she was an adult. She was 24 yrs old for the first birth and 25-26 with the next . She was in Vancouver and had access to birth control, abortion and adoption. She did not need her parents permission. Her father may have been abusive and controlling, but there are many people who've suffered similarly and not killed their children.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
No. It's an excuse. All the old excuses are wheeled out whenever a woman commits a crime.

It's required by society for the lawyers to do the very best they can for their clients.

Who'd want a lawyer who didn't argue their very best on their behalf?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You are so smart, Twila. Have you ever thought of writing a column "a la mode" Ann Landers? I'd read you daily- promise -:)