ETFO 'white privilege' workshop dangerous

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
ETFO 'white privilege' workshop dangerous

TORONTO - The Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario (ETFO) is offering their members a workshop on “white privilege.”

That’s right. It doesn’t question whether white privilege exists.

That’s a given. No debate about whether all white people have special status. They just do.

And the union representing more than 76,000 teachers is teaching its membership how to deal with it.

ETFO 'white privilege' workshop dangerous | Blizzard | Ontario | News | Toronto

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Frankly, as a white person who’s struggled all my life to become privileged, I really wish I knew what white privilege is, because I’d like a heaping helping.

If I’d had a chunk of white privilege, I wouldn’t have had to bust my butt every day working to make a living. I could be eating bonbons on a yacht in the Mediterranean.

She seems to be under the impression that white privilege means wealth...not opportunity. If you're white and dumb ain't nothin gonna help ya up.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
She seems to be under the impression that white privilege means wealth...not opportunity. If you're white and dumb ain't nothin gonna help ya up.
You know what's funny?

If you sit across the street from the local food bank, or shelter, there are no visible minorities using the services, despite the fact that there's a rez just down the road.

The folks most privileged to use those services, appear to be white.

I'm not saying it proves anything, just thought it was funny in an odd sort of way.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
You know what's funny?

If you sit across the street from the local food bank, or shelter, there are no visible minorities using the services, despite the fact that there's a rez just down the road.

The folks most privileged to use those services, appear to be white.

I'm not saying it proves anything, just thought it was funny in an odd sort of way.

well like I said, being white does not automatically mean an increase in your bank account.

Some examples of white privilege (not a guarantee, but the stats are loaded toward the white person)

need to move? Can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing in an area which you can afford and in which you would want to live.

neighbors in such a location will most likely be neutral or pleasant to you.

can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that you will not be followed or harassed.(unless you look like a homeless person)

can be sure that your children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race.

When told about your national heritage or about "civilization," will be shown that people of your colour made it what it is.

Whether you use cheques, credit cards or cash, you can count on your skin colour not to work against the appearance of financial reliability.

You do not have to educate your children to be aware of systemic racism for their own daily physical protection.

You can speak in public to a powerful male group without putting your race on trial.

You can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to your race.

You are never asked to speak for all the people of your racial group.

If a traffic cop pulls you over you can be sure you haven't been singled out because of your race.

You can worry about racism without being seen as self-interested or self-seeking.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Hungry people should not be relegated to a race thing. Hunger and a food bank in our
country is an indictment on our society. The problem is we continue to treat the over
all symptom not the problem. Instead we attach labels to things to determine why some
are not sharing the wealth. You know drunken Indians, White Trash, Lazy Youth and the
list goes on.
The truth is we changed the system and we didn't prepare any segment of society for the
changes. Many people worked at one job and did it well. The company or the service
provided no longer exists or is required. Oh its fine to retrain people for a new job but we
really do need to educate others in ways to regain their confidence allowing them to rise
to new beginnings and restart the society we live in. Instead we count our dividends and
relegate others to the food bank and complain we're helping them. White trash we look
down on Natives who better themselves and become lawyers to help their segment of
society benefit from the new found wealth are called greedy and the the Natives who were
put on worthless dirt that turns out has all the mineral wealth are called obstructionists
cause corporations want to get their hands on this hidden wealth.
Before we hold work shops to determine why some have white privilege (not all whites
have privilege) or we set out to figure out what is wrong with the natives or others these
pillars of political society and their benefactors the corporation executives should sit in a
room with mirrors and contemplate what is wrong within them