Ebola- Running wild

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/24/h...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

If the numbers go up, the govt, police, and other infrastructure they have will collapse.
People will head for the exits whatever way they can. And those scares we have had in NA will then become reality.

In the worst-case scenario, the two countries could have 21,000 total cases of Ebola by Sept. 30 and 1.4 million cases by Jan. 20 if the disease keeps spreading without effective methods to contain it. These figures take into account the fact that many cases go undetected, and estimate that there are actually 2.5 times as many as reported.

In the best-case model, the epidemic in both countries would be “almost ended” by Jan. 20, the report said. Success would require safe funerals at which no one touches the bodies, and treating 70 percent of patients in settings that reduce the risk of transmission. The report said the proportion of patients now in such settings was about 18 percent in Liberia and 40 percent in Sierra Leone.

Bryan Lewis, an epidemiologist at the Virginia Bioinformatics Institute at Virginia Tech, agreed that the estimates were reasonable, perhaps even a bit low compared with those generated by other models. He said that if some of the latest data from the World Health Organization is plugged into the C.D.C. model, “the very large numbers of estimated cases are, unfortunately, even larger.”

The current official case count is 5,843, including 2,803 deaths, according to the W.H.O.

The C.D.C.’s new projections do not include figures for Guinea,
one of the three hardest-hit countries, because case counts there have gone up and down in ways that cannot be reliably modeled.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I'd read recently that one of the side effects of this ebola outbreak that has not caught alot of attention is that with this disease outbreak, travel restrictions, and public fear is that food is not being harvested which could lead to some other problems for the various countries involved.

It's becoming far more complicated then just a few deaths.

http://www.fao.org/news/story/en/item/242177/icode/

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I'd read recently that one of the side effects of this ebola outbreak that has not caught alot of attention is that with this disease outbreak, travel restrictions, and public fear is that food is not being harvested which could lead to some other problems for the various countries involved.

It's becoming far more complicated then just a few deaths.

More than a few deaths as the disease is spreading quickly. 3rd world countries, outbreak spreads, what civilization they have collapses.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
More than a few deaths as the disease is spreading quickly. 3rd world countries, outbreak spreads, what civilization they have collapses.

In the overall continental aspect of this outbreak, it is only a few deaths. Under 3000.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
CDC: Ebola cases could reach at least 550,000 by January

(CNN) -- The number of Ebola cases in Liberia and Sierra Leone could rise to between 550,000 and 1.4 million by January if there are no "additional interventions or changes in community behavior," the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a report Tuesday. The estimate was derived from a new forecasting tool developed by the CDC.
The range of estimated cases -- from 550,000 to 1.4 million -- is wide because experts suspect the current count is highly under-reported. The official death toll from Ebola in West Africa has climbed to more than 2,800 in six months, with 5,800 cases confirmed as of Monday, the World Health Organization said.

But the CDC estimates that if 70% of people with Ebola are properly cared for in medical facilities, the epidemic could decrease and eventually end.In a press conference Tuesday, CDC Director Tom Frieden cautioned that this model is based on older data from August. The numbers are not projections, but "scenarios." The model does not take into account President Obama's announcement that the U.S. is sending troops and extra medical equipment to the area. Nor does it take into account the additional help from other countries promised.

read more

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Where the outbreak is has a lot to do with the lack of attention IMO.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
In the overall continental aspect of this outbreak, it is only a few deaths. Under 3000.

The official stats. Those that had the disease and recovered are shunned by everyone.
The official stats - anyone believe official stats from Africa?
Me I do not.
Many die and are not counted as dying from Ebola.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
The official stats. Those that had the disease and recovered are shunned by everyone.
The official stats - anyone believe official stats from Africa?
Me I do not.
Many die and are not counted as dying from Ebola.

So...........you think I might not get the two million from Nigeria ?
Dang!

In the interim, planes and people are still coming and going from and to Africa.
The incubation period of Ebola can be more than a few days.
Think ISIS might be watching ?
Might do more damage than suicide bombers.
Nah..........................

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Dang!

I received an email asking for my help because all the money had been left to a cat and they needed to get the cat and the money out of Africa.

Clearly they are evolving...

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Dang!

In the interim, planes and people are still coming and going from and to Africa.
The incubation period of Ebola can be more than a few days.
Think ISIS might be watching ?
Might do more damage than suicide bombers.
Nah..........................

Incubation is up to 21 days-
So how does anyone stop 100 k people heading for other countries. If this spreads, panic sets in, survival mode begins and increases the panic which then creates more panic.

Ebola Incubation Period
Ebola Incubation Period
The Ebola incubation period is the period between infection with the virus and the appearance of symptoms associated with the disease. The incubation period can be as short as 2 days or as long as 21 days. A person is still contagious during this time.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Obama: Ebola is ‘growing threat to regional and global security’

By David Nakamura September 25

NEW YORK — President Obama warned a summit of world leaders Thursday that the Ebola outbreak that has infected thousands in west Africa has gone beyond a health crises and is a “growing threat to regional and global security.”

Citing new commitments from the United Nations last week, Obama said there had been progress. But after meeting with leaders from African nations at the U.N. General Assembly, the president cautioned that “we need to be honest with ourselves. It’s not enough.”

Obama: Ebola is ‘growing threat to regional and global security’ - The Washington Post

Uh-oh. Here come the bombers!

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
well...I hope they tell us how it/he got here with it.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2014...rs-health-ebola-usa-drugs.html?ref=world&_r=0

(Reuters) - The United States is discussing the possible use of experimental drugs or blood plasma from a recovered Ebola patient as a potential treatment for a patient in Texas diagnosed with Ebola, a top health official said on Tuesday.

Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said it was the first confirmed case to be diagnosed in the United States.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
well...I hope they tell us how it/he got here with it.

They left Liberia with no symptoms on September 19th, symptoms developed by September 24th, sought treatment on September 26th, and was admitted to the hospital on the 28th.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Ya and now Texas has the first case for America unchecked great eh?
As long as it was a problem somewhere else it was back burner and
bets there will be all kinds of action now