Five children aged 2 to 8 found dead in Alabama, father claims to have killed them

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Five children aged 2 to 8 found dead in Alabama, father claims to have killed them
Therese Apel, Reuters
First posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 07:23 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 12:58 AM EDT
JACKSON, Miss. - The decomposed bodies of five children aged between 2 and 8 were found stuffed into garbage bags on Tuesday near a logging road in Alabama after their father confessed to killing them and led police to the scene, authorities said.
Timothy Ray Jones, the father of the children, did not reveal a motive for the killings, which he confessed to authorities in Mississippi, Smith County Sheriff Charlie Crumpton said.
"I'm a father of two, and I can't imagine what goes through a man's head when he does this," Crumpton said. "It was a horrible, horrible crime."
The children, whose names have not been released, were reported missing from their home near Lexington, South Carolina, by their mother on Sept. 3, the Lexington County Sheriff's Department said in a statement.
Jones had joint custody of the children with his ex-wife and was their primary legal custodian, the Lexington County Sheriff's Office said.
He confessed to the killings to authorities in Smith County, Mississippi, after he was pulled over on Saturday at a driver's license checkpoint and arrested on charges of driving under the influence and possession of a controlled substance, Crumpton said.
Upon searching his Cadillac Escalade, authorities found what appeared to be chemicals used to make crystal methamphetamine, as well as the presence of what appeared to be bleach, hydrochloric acid, blood and possible bodily fluids, the Smith County Sheriff's Office said.
The children were found in a rural area in southwestern Alabama, about 50 miles southwest of Montgomery, Crumpton said.
Jones is in the custody of the Smith County Sheriff's Office awaiting extradition to South Carolina, Crumpton said.
Five children aged 2 to 8 found dead in Alabama, father claims to have killed th

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
South Carolina man faces murder charges in deaths of his five children
Harriet McLeod, REUTERS
First posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 03:44 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 03:57 PM EDT
CHARLESTON, S.C. - A man accused of killing his five children in South Carolina and driving their corpses through several states before dumping them in Alabama will be charged with murder, law enforcement authorities said on Wednesday.
Timothy Ray Jones Jr., 32, confessed to the killings of the children, ages 8 and under, but did not reveal a motive, authorities said. On Tuesday, he led police to the decomposed bodies, which had been stuffed in garbage bags and left near a logging road about 50 miles southwest of Montgomery, authorities added.
"This case has been a nightmare," Lewis McCarty, sheriff of South Carolina's Lexington County, told a news conference on Wednesday. "In all my years of law enforcement, I have never seen a case like this."
The children, whose names will not be released until autopsies are performed, were reported missing by their mother on Sept. 3 and were last seen with their father on Aug. 28, authorities said.
An Amber alert was not issued because Jones had legal custody of the children, said South Carolina Law Enforcement Division Chief Mark Keel.
Jones appears to have killed the children shortly after they were last seen and then began driving a circuitous route that computer tracking indicates included South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi, McCarty said.
Jones was pulled over on Saturday by authorities in Mississippi and arrested on charges of driving under the influence and possession of a controlled substance, according to Charlie Crumpton, sheriff of Mississippi's Smith County.
Authorities found in the man's vehicle what appeared to be chemicals used to make crystal methamphetamine as well as the presence of what appeared to be bleach, hydrochloric acid, blood and possible bodily fluids, the Smith County Sheriff's Office said.
Jones was interviewed by Mississippi authorities for two nights, his mood shifting repeatedly and dramatically, and confessed only after police told him they could prove he was lying, Crumpton said.
"He was saying, 'The kids have been taken care of, there's not a problem,'" Crumpton said.
Jones, a 2011 graduate of Mississippi State University with a computer engineering degree, is expected to be extradited to South Carolina by Thursday, officials said.
The South Carolina Department of Social Services received a report on Aug. 7 of Jones abusing the children. Authorities interviewed Jones and the children but saw no evidence of abuse or that the children were in danger, the department said.
Timothy Ray Jones Jr, 32, is seen in an undated picture provided by the Smith County Sheriff's Department in Smith County, Mississippi. (REUTERS/Smith County Sheriff's Department/Handout)

South Carolina man faces murder charges in deaths of his five children | World |

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Only Muzzies (and all Muzzies) do horrible things. Ask Colpy.

Okay, there are five dead children here. Is this the best thread to making some kind of point in? Particularly when that point has got absolutely nothing to do with the tragic circumstances of the deaths of these children?

QuebecCanadian

Electoral Member
Apr 13, 2014
Custody went to the wrong parent :( So horrible and sad! He could have been stoned when he did it. I can't imagine what the mother must be going through. To lose all your children suddenly and so horrifically. :(

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Custody went to the wrong parent :( So horrible and sad! He could have been stoned when he did it. I can't imagine what the mother must be going through. To lose all your children suddenly and so horrifically. :(

I can't imagine it either. But the first thing I thought of was, if this father was granted custody of these kids, how bad must the mother's parenting skills have been in order for that to happen?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I can't imagine it either. But the first thing I thought of was, if this father was granted custody of these kids, how bad must the mother's parenting skills have been in order for that to happen?

you got a point there SLM.

Damn sad whatever. I'm surprised at the sheriff being surprised. Stuff like that happens all the time. I hope they have the death penalty in whatever state the murders were actually committed.

Now I gotta do the judgemental stuff; just cause I gotta: If it has to happen, let it happen in the US, because up here they'd put him in a psych ward for a few years, say he's cured, and turn him loose to be "reintegrated" into the community.................like any community ****ing needs him.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Damn sad whatever. I'm surprised at the sheriff being surprised. Stuff like that happens all the time. I hope they have the death penalty in whatever state the murders were actually committed.

Now I gotta do the judgemental stuff; just cause I gotta: If it has to happen, let it happen in the US, because up here they'd put him in a psych ward for a few years, say he's cured, and turn him loose to be "reintegrated" into the community.................like any community ****ing needs him.

I still, even in these trying circumstances, come down in favour of the death penalty. But it is hard to argue with the sentiment, I'll say that much.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You're likely to get your wish. Alabama is a pretty active death-penalty state, and has a history of not being over-finicky about meaningless details like evidence. This guy already confessed, and does not appear likely to be able to afford top-flight legal talent. Aside from the colour of his skin, he don't seem to have much going for him.

What's wrong, Walter? Do you not want this clown to take the Big Sleep, or do you disagree with the facts stated?

Last edited:

QuebecCanadian

Electoral Member
Apr 13, 2014

Case in point Guy Turcotte. I really hope the justice system gets it right this time!!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Case in point Guy Turcotte. I really hope the justice system gets it right this time!!

You and me both! Turcotte doesn't even have the excuse of being a meth-head, drunken loser.

Grrr Turcotte, I haven't felt this must anger and hatred towards someone since Homolka.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
You and me both! Turcotte doesn't even have the excuse of being a meth-head, drunken loser.

Grrr Turcotte, I haven't felt this must anger and hatred towards someone since Homolka.

And that little sweetheart changed her name and is out walking around.
Lock yer doors, SLM. She's a torturing, murdering, nut case.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
South Carolina dad accused of murdering 5 kids investigated for abuse
Harriet McLeod, Reuters
First posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 02:46 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, September 11, 2014 03:23 PM EDT
CHARLESTON, S.C. - South Carolina child protection workers visited the family of a man accused of killing his five children at least a dozen times since 2011 in response to reports of abuse and neglect, state records released on Thursday show.
The children, aged 1 to 8, said father Timothy Ray Jones Jr., 32, spanked them and made them do push-ups for punishment, but they did not appear afraid of him, according to workers, who did not remove the children from his care.
In notes about their most recent visit on Aug. 7, social workers said Jones, a divorced father with legal custody of the children, seemed overwhelmed. However, after investigating a report that he was beating the children and not feeding them enough, workers did not find them to be in immediate danger.
Police say the children were already dead by the time South Carolina authorities learned on Monday that the children's grandmother in Mississippi had reported them missing after they did not show up for a planned visit.
Following his arrest on unrelated charges in Mississippi on Saturday, police said Jones confessed to the slayings and led them to his children's decomposing bodies, which he had wrapped in garbage bags and dumped near a rural logging road in Alabama. Authorities have not said how the kids were killed.
Jones is expected to be arrested on murder charges after being returned to South Carolina on Thursday.
He likely killed the children soon after he picked them up from school and day care on Aug. 28, Lexington County Sheriff Lewis McCarty has said.
Jones, who worked for Intel at its office in Columbia, South Carolina, was also possibly accused of other unrelated criminal acts before.
In 2002, a Timothy R. Jones with the same birth date was sentenced in McHenry County, Illinois, to prison time for charges including possession of a stolen vehicle, theft, burglary, forgery and unlawful possession of a controlled substance.
He served 18 months behind bars, including time spent in county jail, before getting released on parole from prison in 2003, according to Illinois Department of Corrections spokesman Tom Shaer.
Records from South Carolina's Department of Social Services, which has been criticized by lawmakers in the past of mishandling child welfare cases, show the agency had long been aware of the Jones family.
Child welfare workers began visiting the family at their Leesville home in fall 2011 when there were only three children, and continued through their mother's last two pregnancies, as well as after Jones reported his wife had left him "for a younger man."
The visits stopped for a time after fall 2012, when workers said Jones took the children to Mississippi, where he had relatives.
The state resumed contact in May after a report that Jones was beating the children, records show. Jones said he had grabbed a child by the back of the shirt and lifted him up because he destroyed his brother's toy.
Caseworkers concluded there was not enough evidence to arrest Jones.
Timothy Ray Jones is seen in an undated picture provided by the Smith County Sheriff's Department in Smith County, Mississippi. REUTERS/Smith County Sheriff's Department/Handout

South Carolina dad accused of murdering 5 kids investigated for abuse | World |

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

Id say BS on that. Multiple counts of first degree murder which he has admitted to - he wouldnt get out up here and he wont there. You really think Paul Bernardo and Robert Picton will ever see the light of day again? Its not happening.

Aside from the colour of his skin, he don't seem to have much going for him.

That just might be enough if you look at the statistics. He might get a death sentence, but actually executed? Possible but not for a long time.

And that little sweetheart changed her name and is out walking around.
Lock yer doors, SLM. She's a torturing, murdering, nut case.

Indeed. Thats a deal the crown should not have made.

I still, even in these trying circumstances, come down in favour of the death penalty. But it is hard to argue with the sentiment, I'll say that much.

I still come down against it. I definitely get why some would want it but I dont.

QuebecCanadian

Electoral Member
Apr 13, 2014
This case....the Shafia girls....how many times has Youth Protection dropped the ball? :( Better to err on the side of caution, no? Not just one call, but several!!