Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Los Angeles TimesVerified account ‏@latimes

Joan Rivers, sharp-tongued TV personality, has died

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I was expecting this ever since I heard she went into medical distress during surgery.

To be honest, I was off and on with her comedy through the years (her sarcasm could be a bit too biting for my tastes sometimes), but her early stuff was great. She was quite the trailblazer for women comedians too. And I have to say I have always admired her for her strength after her husbands suicide. She lived a good 81 years, that's for sure.

RIP

Grievous

Time Out
Jul 28, 2014
Whitby
In her honor we should tell awful humiliating jokes about her.

How do you embalm Joan Rivers.

You don't, she's made of plastic.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
"When I die (and yes, Melissa, that day will come; and yes, Melissa, everything's in your name,)" Joan wrote, referencing her only child, daughter Melissa Rivers. "I want my funeral to be a huge showbiz affair with lights, cameras, action."

"I want Craft services, I want paparazzi and I want publicists making a scene!" she insisted. "I want it to be Hollywood all the way. I don't want some rabbi rambling on; I want Meryl Streep crying, in five different accents. I don't want a eulogy; I want Bobby Vinton to pick up my head and sing 'Mr. Lonely.' I want to look gorgeous, better dead than I do alive. I want to be buried in a Valentino gown and I want Harry Winston to make me a toe tag. And I want a wind machine so that even in the casket my hair is blowing just like Beyonce's."

Joan Rivers Wanted Paparazzi, Meryl Streep at Her "Showbiz" Funeral - Us Weekly

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
When Rivers was on she was magnificent when she was not she was terrible.
Actually we wasn't really terrible its just we expected her to be perfect.
She will always be a legend as her memory will always be synonymous with
laughter. Rest in peace you earned it but then you'd rather be on stage

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
"When I die (and yes, Melissa, that day will come; and yes, Melissa, everything's in your name,)" Joan wrote, referencing her only child, daughter Melissa Rivers. "I want my funeral to be a huge showbiz affair with lights, cameras, action."

"I want Craft services, I want paparazzi and I want publicists making a scene!" she insisted. "I want it to be Hollywood all the way. I don't want some rabbi rambling on; I want Meryl Streep crying, in five different accents. I don't want a eulogy; I want Bobby Vinton to pick up my head and sing 'Mr. Lonely.' I want to look gorgeous, better dead than I do alive. I want to be buried in a Valentino gown and I want Harry Winston to make me a toe tag. And I want a wind machine so that even in the casket my hair is blowing just like Beyonce's."

Joan Rivers Wanted Paparazzi, Meryl Streep at Her "Showbiz" Funeral - Us Weekly

LOL

You know what? She's earned that! Whether one had a taste for her celebrity gossip, her jewellery, her books and, yes, her drama (although I think that was mostly tongue in cheek), that woman was a work horse!!! If she wants a Valentino gown, gold coffin and professional mourner (Streep), I say give it to her!

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Never found her funny, even back in the 80's. I always found her annoying and didn't understand why people laughed at her jokes and came to the conclusion that they were simpletons who were easily amused.

Her whole gig was about putting others down, especially those who ended up successful in some way, as if she had a jealousy complex, which is most likely true.

She tried everything she could to remain relevant to the point of just being sad. She'd try and trash someone and insult them as bad as possible so people would talk about her. She turned herself into a physical freak so people would talk about her. Now she wants this gigantic funeral that's more flashy than what most royalty receives.... And for what?

For being an attention seeking, over glorified bully that the public egged on to keep bullying others and insulting them so she got the attention she sought out and to feel good about herself?

I won't miss her. I didn't even know she was still alive until all this happened.

She doesn't look bad for 81. She doesn't look much older than a Chucky Doll straight out of the packaging.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Back in the 1960s I did not like her as her humor was reverse sexist. She used to condemn what was called the "swinging bachelor" in those days but that didn't stop her from committing adultery behind her husband's back. She made a few jokes about the Holocaust that would have gotten anyone else in big trouble and excoriated everybody she knew. No big surprise that her husband committed suicide. She was known for her mood swings, changes in political views, and for bullying people - one who could dish it out but couldn't take it all that well. Still, she did give to charity, did occasionally come up with a few good laughs, and had a large following. Thus, there was considerable merit to her work.

RIP

Maybe trying to emulate Don Rickles, or did she start before him?

He started before her working in Florida while she got her start in NY where both are from.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think Joan Rivers would have appreciated a tasteless joke about her death. The only way to honour her memory is to dishonour her memory.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I think Joan Rivers would have appreciated a tasteless joke about her death. The only way to honour her memory is to dishonour her memory.

Well I tried :twisted:

"She doesn't look bad for 81. She doesn't look much older than a Chucky Doll straight out of the packaging."

And now they're going to put her back into her packaging.... no wait, they melted down her packaging to beef up her lips a while back.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I was expecting this ever since I heard she went into medical distress during surgery.

To be honest, I was off and on with her comedy through the years (her sarcasm could be a bit too biting for my tastes sometimes), but her early stuff was great. She was quite the trailblazer for women comedians too. And I have to say I have always admired her for her strength after her husbands suicide. She lived a good 81 years, that's for sure.

RIP

What she said. Loved the lady. Sharp as hell. Hope and Skelton would have a hard time keeping up with her. RIP my queen of comedy.:-(