Remember This Guy?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Edmonton teacher fired for giving zeroes for not doing homework, tests wins appeal

By The Canadian Press | The Canadian Press – 5 hours ago

EDMONTON - An Alberta appeal board says the Edmonton Public School Board was unfair in suspending and firing teacher who gave out zeros to his students.
Lynden Dorval was suspended in May 2012 and fired four months later for awarding zeros to students who did not hand in homework or take assigned tests.
Dorval appealed to the Board of Reference and it has ruled that Dorval was treated unfairly in his dismissal.
The appeal board has ordered that Dorval be paid his salary from the date of his dismissal and also that his pension be topped up.
It also says it found no evidence of deliberate misconduct on Dorval’s part.
Dorval says the ruling was a pleasant surprise.
“The Board of Reference was very harsh on what the principal had done and how the superintendent had handled it so I was surprised at that, and also the no-zero, I was expecting virtually no comment on the correctness of the no-zero policy, I assumed that it would be strictly about the legality of what the school board did,” Dorval said.
The school board has 30 days to file the appeal.
In April 2013, the school board reversed its "no-zero" policy policy which barred teachers from giving students a grade of zero.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/edmonton-teacher-fired-giving-zeroes-not-doing-homework-030704763.html

Go for him!! Seemed rather obvious to me at the time that neither the principal nor the superintendent could grasp the concept of standing up for a principle, very glad to see he's been vindicated for doing so!

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I don't understand the whole "no-zero" policy (thankfully its been removed). If a student doesn't turn in an assignment or take a test, how do you evaluate them? How do you calculate their average grade? Do an average on what they did and a % of what they completed? "Little Johnny scored 88% on what he completed but he only did 32% of his tests and assignments"?

I feel like an old grump saying this but it doesn't fly post-secondary education or in the workplace, once the kids are out of high school. I have 42 people on my crew and if they don't do what I need them to do, I look for someone else to replace them...

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I don't understand the whole "no-zero" policy (thankfully its been removed).

That's because it doesn't make any sense. It's about superficiality....form without substance behind.

If a student doesn't turn in an assignment or take a test, how do you evaluate them? How do you calculate their average grade? Do an average on what they did and a % of what they completed? "Little Johnny scored 88% on what he completed but he only did 32% of his tests and assignments"?

I feel like an old grump saying this but it doesn't fly post-secondary education or in the workplace, once the kids are out of high school. I have 42 people on my crew and if they don't do what I need them to do, I look for someone else to replace them...
As anyone would.

It benefits no one to ignore a child's shortcomings, they need to be helped to overcome them. Because no one else in their lives are going to ignore them.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Very happy this has happened for him.
A bit too much of a sense of entitlement pervades.
Someone, (a student:roll::lol:?), fails on a regular basis, to hand in projects - expel them.

Too many gadam tails wagging too many dogs.
Dogs need to bite, or at least show their teeth.
Thanks for posting that, SLM. good to see.:cheers:

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
hopefully we can have a study to determine how to unhurt all those 'feelings' that were involved in receiving the sh!tty grades

...poor overlooked mass-murderers and terrorists-in-waiting misunderstood waifs...probably cutting themselves in their rooms right now

...mom and dad pacing frantically about their apartments, cursing stephen harper and the men at CC.

can you imagine the humiliation of getting a zero? geez. I'm surprised most of the kids haven't flung themselves off a bridge.

get over it. :lol:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Very happy this has happened for him.
A bit too much of a sense of entitlement pervades.
Someone, (a student:roll::lol:?), fails on a regular basis, to hand in projects - expel them.

Too many gadam tails wagging too many dogs.
Dogs need to bite, or at least show their teeth.
Thanks for posting that, SLM. good to see.:cheers:
A sense of entitlement is what happens when you do nothing but give without making someone earn what they get. If someone is not doing well, then for goodness sakes, help them, go out of your way to help them. I would never advocate against that....but make sure it's actually helping them.

I'm really very glad he was vindicated and I hope the school board is paying attention (that they reversed this stupid policy is a good sign) because I feel as though, during his tenure there, he was really the only one actually looking out for students.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
all the stoogents should get a participation ribbon for their troubles.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Nope. They should graduate and get jobs and live

You think teachers should have to put up with entitlement crap ? C'mon.

At least use purple ink.

I was in a hurry...The Rifleman is on. I dig that show.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I blame the unions for this. If a teacher is fired, he should have no recourse. That's how we're doing it down here.

That is the reason unions exist. So that workers cannot be fired for no reason or because they got old. Aside from that government union employees should not have the right to strike.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
That is the reason unions exist. So that workers cannot be fired for no reason or because they got old. Aside from that government union employees should not have the right to strike.
Well, if we get rid of the unions, we can go ahead and fire excellent teachers who provide some discipline to the lazy little bastards any time their doting parents demand. What ain't great about that?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I don't understand the whole "no-zero" policy (thankfully its been removed). If a student doesn't turn in an assignment or take a test, how do you evaluate them? How do you calculate their average grade? Do an average on what they did and a % of what they completed? "Little Johnny scored 88% on what he completed but he only did 32% of his tests and assignments"?

I would have given 1% or a grade of 1/infinity. It was a stupid policy.