LiveLeak bans future ISIS beheading videos

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
When YouTube started to remove gory videos of journalist James Foley's beheading this week, the next stop for some Internet surfers was LiveLeak, a streaming video website that specializes in hosting graphic videos that other sites won't touch.

There was so much interest in the Foley video Wednesday that LiveLeak warned visitors about possible slowdowns due to "an abnormally high volume of traffic."

But Thursday, the site's operators announced an out-of-character decision: "We will not be showing further beheadings carried out by" ISIS.

"We've shown the world the true horror of this form of execution more than once in the past and we cannot find any compelling reason to even be thought of as promoting the actions of this group," LiveLeak said in a statement.

"There is no reason at all to show more beheadings," they added.

Related: Twitter removes images of James Foley's death

Some of LiveLeak's users may strongly disagree, and the website acknowledged as much in its statement. They said they'd hold a live discussion with users later on Thursday.

The fact of the matter is that many millions of Internet users seek out sites like LiveLeak to see the very kind of gruesome content that traditional media refrain from showing viewers.

But "our belief in your rights to view whatever you wish do not override our rights to not host it here," LiveLeak said.

In other words, even LiveLeak wants to draw a line somewhere -- mirroring decisions by YouTube, Twitter (TWTR, Tech30) and Facebook (FB, Tech30) about what sorts of objectionable material may be shared by users.

Related: Future of media

The (unnamed) LiveLeak operators said they'd had several meetings about the Foley beheading video. The site has provided access to other such videos in the past.

But "there is every chance - given the rumours of hostage stockpiling currently doing the rounds - that we could see a return to the dark times of 2004/5 when beheadings happened with an alarming and depressing regularity," the statement said. "It's this which prompted us" to effectively ban future ISIS videos.

The site added that "this does not mean we won't continue to show graphic media should we deem it reasonable to do so, we will continue despite the regular condemnation, in other words for the most part nothing is going to change... We simply will not host further beheadings" from ISIS.

LiveLeak bans future ISIS beheading videos - Aug. 21, 2014

no more free advertising for isis...say dommage

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Their identity must be about to be made public. Perhaps it is a Mossad sting operation. (quality being slightly less that the FBI ones)

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Glad Social Media is waking up.. Youtube, Facebook giving these hate filled idiots a place to spew their nonsense online.. it's sickening.

Glad the the owners of these companies are stepping up to the plate and stopping this kind of propaganda from being allowed online anymore.

,,,or it could be out of fear of having governments go after them, dunno.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Glad Social Media is waking up.. Youtube, Facebook giving these hate filled idiots a place to spew their nonsense online.. it's sickening.

Glad the the owners of these companies are stepping up to the plate and stopping this kind of propaganda from being allowed online anymore.

,,,or it could be out of fear of having governments go after them, dunno.
Do you remember what was in this vid you posted Boomer? It would seem to qualify as offensive as it has been removed. I like these little peeks into how a black heart operates. I'll assume this is just a lie rather than bad memory.
As per your request it was forwarded to the link you provided, have a nice day, . . . and you're welcome.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Keeping it offline and pretending it didn't happen isn't going to accomplish anything. I doubt anyone would be won over by that video alone. The vast majority would probably be repulsed and want to wipe out ISIS more than before.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Keeping it offline and pretending it didn't happen isn't going to accomplish anything. I doubt anyone would be won over by that video alone. The vast majority would probably be repulsed and want to wipe out ISIS more than before.
It's a fundamental error to expect crazy people to have rational motives or reactions.

Grievous

Time Out
Jul 28, 2014
Whitby

It pisses me off.

Makes me think of all that wasted money on nukes....should take one out the box and see if it still works.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I don't think it's as much a recruitment thing as it is soliciting for ransom

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
That's becaus it was a fail, it was supposed to spart outrage wiyhout being questioned, Now they want to make sure the outrage doesn't happen because the real culprits (the West) would be the center of attention, just like they should be.

I don't think they intended that British Nationalists (SAS) would be shown to be the leaders rather tham Muslim Rebels that are 'locals' when the locals would dealt love to see all of them without their heads. They would certainly do it but without the video bull**** that goes along with the ones the West is doing, like this one.

The $30B we pay the bankers in usury fees per year is a blackmail because if we didn't pay it the 'accidents' would cost us $100B per year.

It pisses me off.

Makes me think of all that wasted money on nukes....should take one out the box and see if it still works.
All the money spent on that and all the other expensive items is stolen monet as barrel bombs and air/fuel bombs are the mainstay these days.
You are aware the cold war was a giant fraud aren't you?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

Which has never worked for any islamist terrorist group in Iraq or the middle east in general. If it had quite a few people who lost their heads in the last ten years wouldn't have.

It's a fundamental error to expect crazy people to have rational motives or reactions.

Those irrational people probably were irrational before they saw any videos so I doubt this one would make much of an impression on them.

And risk killing thousands of civilians or non-combatants? Not the smartest move. There is a reason they haven't really been used since 1945.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I have Revenue Canada taking my GST to pay for $750 in parking tickets (has to do with the toxic house so it is also patrt of the courts case). Obviously if I had the money I would pay for the tickets (acquired by my Grandson) rather than not be able to renew my drivers so that put me on foot. With the 10 tickets it would take 4 years to pay it off. Can't I do 'time' instead? How long do you get for a $75 ticket (in that they run side by side rather than back to back)