Neighbourhood food bank says no thank you to Kraft Dinner


SLM
#1
Neighbourhood food bank says no thank you to Kraft Dinner


CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Wednesday, August 20, 2014 10:08AM EDT

An Ottawa food bank is saying no thank you to Kraft Dinner, hot dogs and dozens of other items deemed unhealthy.
Parkdale Food Centre co-ordinator Karen Secord says everybody deserves good-quality food – even those who can't afford it.
"I don't want canned stew, Alpha-Getti, Kraft Dinner, pop, chips, candy," Secord told CTV Ottawa.



Going through a box of donated food items, Secord is quick to take some pieces out of the mix. Among the items that failed to make the cut are: a box of Dunkaroos, a package of Maynards Swedish Berries, an opened bottle of salad dressing that expired in 2008 and an opened container of Hot Rod meat snacks.
"It is sending the message out to people that you are not worth it, that your health isn't worth as much as my health is worth," Secord said.
She said foods that are deemed unhealthy separated from the other donation items. If the food originated from the Ottawa Food Bank, which supports several emergency food programs in the city, it is sent back.
The Ottawa Food Bank said it was unaware of any food items being sent back.
Secord is part of a working group that looks at all food being purchased and swaps some items such as margarine in favour of fresh produce.
Parkdale Food Centre clients, meanwhile, say they're happy about the centre’s healthy food criteria.
"Who wants to live on Kraft Dinner? Sure enough not us," client Annabelle Biefer said.
Another client Joeann Tourangeau said food bank clients would like to eat properly – just like those who can afford to purchase their own groceries.
"We would like to feel better about ourselves and by eating properly, of course you feel better."
Secord said she'd like to see more egg, milk, yogurt and cheese donations coming into the centre.
A 'Good Food List (external - login to view)' on the Parkdale Food Centre website lists nuts, fresh meats, rice and canned beans among dozens of other items.
"Everything starts with good food," Secord said.
According to Food Banks Canada, close to 850,000 Canadians used food banks on a monthly basis in 2013, and more than one-third of those helped were children and youth. The organization said the number is down from 2012, but significantly higher than the estimated 676,000 Canadians that used food banks each month in 2008.
The HungerCount 2013 report (external - login to view) shows that 38 per cent of food banks have been forced to cut back the amount of food they provide to each household because they do not have enough.


Read more: Neighbourhood food bank says no thank you to Kraft Dinner | CTV News (external - login to view)

A little presumptuous isn't it? Decreeing that KD can no longer be served to food bank recipients? I've never used a food bank in my life but I still have KD on occassion....as a quick lunch or last minute side dish. And I get that candies are not a nutritional food product (I won't comment on the open salad dressing, that was just gross) but I've often included cookies or chocolates at Easter time when filling up a bag for the food bank at the grocery store. I'd hate like hell to think they were being tossed.
 
petros
#2
Once in a while we'll buy a bag of diapers to donate but never food.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+4
#3  Top Rated Post
I really don't want this lady judging my pantry. I think a 13 year old who got kraft dinner would be thrilled. He can experience the same crap his friends are eating.


Perhaps I will just refrain from donating unless I have a fillet minion to donate or something. What happened to the old saying 'beggars can't be choosers.'? Seems to me they are trying to be now.
 
petros
+3
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Perhaps I will just refrain from donating unless I have a fillet minion to donate or something. What happened to the old saying 'beggars can't be choosers.'? Seems to me they are trying to be now.

Go for diaper or baby formula donations. Cutting someone's capital costs from not having to buy diaper or formula frees up money to buy more and higher quality foods.
 
Twila
+3
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I really don't want this lady judging my pantry. I think a 13 year old who got kraft dinner would be thrilled. He can experience the same crap his friends are eating.


Perhaps I will just refrain from donating unless I have a fillet minion to donate or something. What happened to the old saying 'beggars can't be choosers.'? Seems to me they are trying to be now.

If it's good enough to sell to the public as food, it should be good enough to donate to the hungry as food.

If I were hungry I would not turn my nose up at KD.

Throwing out Swedish Berries...Imagine telling a child that because they are poor they can't have a treat.
 
Locutus
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Neighbourhood food bank says no thank you to Kraft Dinner


CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Wednesday, August 20, 2014 10:08AM EDT

An Ottawa food bank is saying no thank you to Kraft Dinner, hot dogs and dozens of other items deemed unhealthy.
Parkdale Food Centre co-ordinator Karen Secord says everybody deserves good-quality food – even those who can't afford it.
"I don't want canned stew, Alpha-Getti, Kraft Dinner, pop, chips, candy," Secord told CTV Ottawa.



Going through a box of donated food items, Secord is quick to take some pieces out of the mix. Among the items that failed to make the cut are: a box of Dunkaroos, a package of Maynards Swedish Berries, an opened bottle of salad dressing that expired in 2008 and an opened container of Hot Rod meat snacks.
"It is sending the message out to people that you are not worth it, that your health isn't worth as much as my health is worth," Secord said.
She said foods that are deemed unhealthy separated from the other donation items. If the food originated from the Ottawa Food Bank, which supports several emergency food programs in the city, it is sent back.
The Ottawa Food Bank said it was unaware of any food items being sent back.
Secord is part of a working group that looks at all food being purchased and swaps some items such as margarine in favour of fresh produce.
Parkdale Food Centre clients, meanwhile, say they're happy about the centre’s healthy food criteria.
"Who wants to live on Kraft Dinner? Sure enough not us," client Annabelle Biefer said.
Another client Joeann Tourangeau said food bank clients would like to eat properly – just like those who can afford to purchase their own groceries.
"We would like to feel better about ourselves and by eating properly, of course you feel better."
Secord said she'd like to see more egg, milk, yogurt and cheese donations coming into the centre.
A 'Good Food List (external - login to view)' on the Parkdale Food Centre website lists nuts, fresh meats, rice and canned beans among dozens of other items.
"Everything starts with good food," Secord said.
According to Food Banks Canada, close to 850,000 Canadians used food banks on a monthly basis in 2013, and more than one-third of those helped were children and youth. The organization said the number is down from 2012, but significantly higher than the estimated 676,000 Canadians that used food banks each month in 2008.
The HungerCount 2013 report (external - login to view) shows that 38 per cent of food banks have been forced to cut back the amount of food they provide to each household because they do not have enough.


Read more: Neighbourhood food bank says no thank you to Kraft Dinner | CTV News (external - login to view)

A little presumptuous isn't it? Decreeing that KD can no longer be served to food bank recipients? I've never used a food bank in my life but I still have KD on occassion....as a quick lunch or last minute side dish. And I get that candies are not a nutritional food product (I won't comment on the open salad dressing, that was just gross) but I've often included cookies or chocolates at Easter time when filling up a bag for the food bank at the grocery store. I'd hate like hell to think they were being tossed.

ahhh...another dose of moral and intellectual superiority, this time by the george brown social service worker busybody types.

very cool story.

maybe they could start their own home(less) lottery next, sell proprietary colored jelly wristbands and such...go all trendy and stuff.
 
SLM
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post


Throwing out Swedish Berries...Imagine telling a child that because they are poor they can't have a treat.

That was my thought as well. I always add treats for kids, particularly during holiday food drives, but I damn sure wouldn't be doing that in this woman's neighbourhood!
 
lone wolf
#8
KD makes sense. You can add anything to it. Canned water chestnuts and cocktail weenies?... There are some really strange items in a donation bin
 
petros
+4
#9
This woman looks pretty damn lumpy for being a health but.
 
Twila
+2
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

This woman looks pretty damn lumpy for being a health but.

This woman should make up the short fall. If she's going to throw out unhealthy food, she should be forced at her cost to replace it with what she feels is healthy food.

Have you seen the head of the BC nurses union?
 
Grievous
+2
#11
We volunteer at the food bank and seems to me 25% is dusty old cans of crap you wouldn't feed to your dog.


Seems to me the woman in the picture doesn't need any more carbs.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

This woman looks pretty damn lumpy for being a health but.

Where do you think the KD goes?
 
#juan
+4
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

KD makes sense. You can add anything to it. Canned water chestnuts and cocktail weenies?... There are some really strange items in a donation bin

I love K.D.. I always add real cheese to it but it is about as healthy as a lot of things out there. There is nothing to stop people from buying their own macaroni and using the cheese off the shelf at the super market. Compare the K.D. label with the label from most packaged cheeses and you will be surprised how alike they are. Great source of protein.

It's not meant to be a whole meal by itself but with a few veggies and a salad there is nothing wrong with it.
Last edited by #juan; 4 weeks ago at 04:03 PM..
 
Tecumsehsbones
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I really don't want this lady judging my pantry. I think a 13 year old who got kraft dinner would be thrilled. He can experience the same crap his friends are eating.


Perhaps I will just refrain from donating unless I have a fillet minion to donate or something. What happened to the old saying 'beggars can't be choosers.'? Seems to me they are trying to be now.

MMMmmm. Love me some fillet minion.
 
QuebecCanadian
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Neighbourhood food bank says no thank you to Kraft Dinner


CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Wednesday, August 20, 2014 10:08AM EDT

An Ottawa food bank is saying no thank you to Kraft Dinner, hot dogs and dozens of other items deemed unhealthy.
Parkdale Food Centre co-ordinator Karen Secord says everybody deserves good-quality food – even those who can't afford it.
"I don't want canned stew, Alpha-Getti, Kraft Dinner, pop, chips, candy," Secord told CTV Ottawa.



Going through a box of donated food items, Secord is quick to take some pieces out of the mix. Among the items that failed to make the cut are: a box of Dunkaroos, a package of Maynards Swedish Berries, an opened bottle of salad dressing that expired in 2008 and an opened container of Hot Rod meat snacks.
"It is sending the message out to people that you are not worth it, that your health isn't worth as much as my health is worth," Secord said.
She said foods that are deemed unhealthy separated from the other donation items. If the food originated from the Ottawa Food Bank, which supports several emergency food programs in the city, it is sent back.
The Ottawa Food Bank said it was unaware of any food items being sent back.
Secord is part of a working group that looks at all food being purchased and swaps some items such as margarine in favour of fresh produce.
Parkdale Food Centre clients, meanwhile, say they're happy about the centre’s healthy food criteria.
"Who wants to live on Kraft Dinner? Sure enough not us," client Annabelle Biefer said.
Another client Joeann Tourangeau said food bank clients would like to eat properly – just like those who can afford to purchase their own groceries.
"We would like to feel better about ourselves and by eating properly, of course you feel better."
Secord said she'd like to see more egg, milk, yogurt and cheese donations coming into the centre.
A 'Good Food List (external - login to view)' on the Parkdale Food Centre website lists nuts, fresh meats, rice and canned beans among dozens of other items.
"Everything starts with good food," Secord said.
According to Food Banks Canada, close to 850,000 Canadians used food banks on a monthly basis in 2013, and more than one-third of those helped were children and youth. The organization said the number is down from 2012, but significantly higher than the estimated 676,000 Canadians that used food banks each month in 2008.
The HungerCount 2013 report (external - login to view) shows that 38 per cent of food banks have been forced to cut back the amount of food they provide to each household because they do not have enough.


Read more: Neighbourhood food bank says no thank you to Kraft Dinner | CTV News (external - login to view)

A little presumptuous isn't it? Decreeing that KD can no longer be served to food bank recipients? I've never used a food bank in my life but I still have KD on occassion....as a quick lunch or last minute side dish. And I get that candies are not a nutritional food product (I won't comment on the open salad dressing, that was just gross) but I've often included cookies or chocolates at Easter time when filling up a bag for the food bank at the grocery store. I'd hate like hell to think they were being tossed.

To be honest, the food bank the dictates what it will take is not the food bank I will support. That being said....opened expired salad dressing?? Some people are dicks!
 
darkbeaver
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

I love K.D.. I always add real cheese to it but it is about as healthy as a lot of things out there. There is nothing to stop people from buying their own macaroni and using the cheese off the shelf at the super market. Compare the K.D. label with the label from most packaged cheeses and you will be surprised how alike they are. Great source of protein.

It's not meant to be a whole meal by itself but with a few veggies and a salad there is nothing wrong with it.

It not being prepared properly. It's best if the box and contents is cooked together in the pot. The cardboard swells up and resembles baloney.
 
Praxius
+1
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

An Ottawa food bank is saying no thank you to Kraft Dinner, hot dogs and dozens of other items deemed unhealthy.

Parkdale Food Centre co-ordinator Karen Secord says everybody deserves good-quality food – even those who can't afford it.

"I don't want canned stew, Alpha-Getti, Kraft Dinner, pop, chips, candy," Secord told CTV Ottawa.

Well la'dee'fkn'daa!

Oh no.... sorry, I have to throw this grocery bag of Kraft Dinner away because it's unhealthy.... I'd rather just starve.

It's food b*tch!

I'd love to have some Kraft Dinner.

Have you tried the Kraft Dinner here in Australia??

It's NOT Kraft Dinner. It doesn't look like Kraft Dinner, it doesn't smell like it and it sure as sh*t doesn't taste like it. Different pasta and different packaged cheesy stuff. I don't even know what it tastes like, it's indescribable except that IT'S NOT KRAFT DINNER!!!

Besides, Kraft Dinner made properly is a good source of calcium, iron, and protein.

Canned Stew?

WTF is wrong with Canned Stew??

"I don't want canned stew, Alpha-Getti, Kraft Dinner, pop, chips, candy,"

Yeah, well you're not the one needing the god damn food are you?

Tell you what.... I'll spend my middle class wages on all the organic, expensive, luxury crap for your poor people and keep all the cheap and poor crap you don't want for my family...... because their well being should come first before my family's.

All of them should be god damn grateful that people donate anything to them in the first place. People do it out of the kindness of their own heart and at the expense of having that money/food put towards their own families.... and these people want to b*tch about it??

"Who wants to live on Kraft Dinner? Sure enough not us," client Annabelle Biefer said.

Another client Joeann Tourangeau said food bank clients would like to eat properly – just like those who can afford to purchase their own groceries.

"We would like to feel better about ourselves and by eating properly, of course you feel better."


Then fk'n STARVE YOU STUPID C*NT!!

See how better you feel then.

OOOoOooooooohhhh.... I'm poor, can't make ends meet, there's a place where I can get free food so my family and I don't die of hunger.... but it's food that doesn't live up to my standards so I'll just pass. I mean, who wants to live off of Kraft Dinner?

DIE THEN!!

You're obviously not that hard up in life that you can pick and choose and complain about the free sh*t you get from other people who used their own hard earned money to give it to you.

Mommy, I'm hungry and haven't eaten much since early yesterday.

Sorry dear, all they had at the food bank was several crates of Campbell's Soup, a wall of Kraft Dinner, some Pop Tarts, and a huge selection of Chef Boyardee..... it's not good for you.



There's families in 3rd world countries around the world who'd jump at the chance to have any of that.... hell, they'd love to have a bottle of water to share between their family of 6.

Maybe people should boycott her stupid azz and send their food to people / communities that would appreciate it more.
Last edited by Praxius; 4 weeks ago at 08:57 PM..
 
Nuggler
#18
Stupid, fat, meddling, twit.
A pox on your pot roast.
Manys a person will read her BS, and decide not to donate.
Kuz, that's the way people are..........eh.
 
gopher
+1
#19
Quote:

If the food originated from the Ottawa Food Bank, which supports several emergency food programs in the city, it is sent back.
The Ottawa Food Bank said it was unaware of any food items being sent back.


The sentences are contradictory. If this story is true it could be that the food's expiration date had passed as with the other food. Kraft products are quite wholesome and are not a hazard except to those on a restricted diet.
 
Praxius
+1
#20
Going back to this:

Another client Joeann Tourangeau said food bank clients would like to eat properly – just like those who can afford to purchase their own groceries.

"We would like to feel better about ourselves and by eating properly, of course you feel better."


They would "Like" to eat properly.... they would "Like" to feel better about themselves.

.... And I'm sure they would "Like" to not be broke-azz poor any not need to use a food bank in the first place.

I'd "Like" to not have to work anymore and keep the same standard of living I have today.... or better.

When you're in a position as these people are who need a food bank and donated food from others, it's not about what they'd "LIKE" to have.... it's what they "NEED" to have.

They "NEED" food to survive. They don't "NEED" a fk'n Smoked Salmon and Oysters with a side of Lobster and Steak with Dijon spread just to feel better about their miserable lives.

Want to b*tch about the food you're given?

Then get a job.... or get a better paying job.

Otherwise STFU.

^ And no, that's not a University, that's SHUT THE FK UP!

Ungrateful son's of b*tches.... cripes almighty.

I oughta take their heads and shove them into a brick wall.

Gee Prax, tell us how you really feel.

Ok then.....
 
SLM
#21
Kraft Dinner donations are 'reality,' Ontario food bank boss says | CTV News (external - login to view)

I'm thinking the guy in charge of the Ontario Food Bank is going to have to do a lot of press to recover from the bad PR this woman landed them in.
 
taxslave
#22
We just supply money. Partly because our local grocery chain matches the money and partly so the food bank can get what is most needed.
 
SLM
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

We just supply money. Partly because our local grocery chain matches the money and partly so the food bank can get what is most needed.

I always thought it would a good idea to be able to prepay at grocery stores for food bank donations. Get a buck or two from everyone shopping, then the food bank staff could shop for what they need, the funds would be on account at the store.
 
taxslave
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

I always thought it would a good idea to be able to prepay at grocery stores for food bank donations. Get a buck or two from everyone shopping, then the food bank staff could shop for what they need, the funds would be on account at the store.

Qualicum Foods does that. Our Lions club provides a couple G a year sa well. The local spud farmer gives them a couple of tons a year.
 
Said1
#25
Haha, that's near my house. I' actually know that old hipster snob.
 
SLM
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by Said1View Post

Haha, that's near my house. I' actually know that old hipster snob.

Let her know she's offended the internet. Lol.
 
Said1
+1
#27
I can't even stand looking at her. She always looks like she just sucked a lemon - and she probably doesn't eat kd because she's so full of brownies and pecan bars from bridgehead.
 

Similar Threads

11
Family finds worm in box of Kraft Dinner
by spaminator | Jun 18th, 2012
no new posts