Sunwing threat suspect, released on bail


QuebecCanadian
+1
#1  Top Rated Post
Ali Shahi, Sunwing threat suspect, released on bail

25-year-old released on bail could be heading for psychological assessment at the family's request

CBC News Posted: Jul 26, 2014 11:04 AM ET Last Updated: Jul 26, 2014 4:21 PM ET


Ali Shahi, 25, appeared in a Brampton court Saturday morning one day after he was charged with allegedly making “direct threats" aboard a Sunwing flight from Toronto to Panama City. (Alex Tavshunsky/CBC)





A man charged for allegedly making "direct threats" aboard a Sunwing flight from Toronto to Panama City was released on bail Saturday morning.



Ali Shahi, a 25-year-old Canadian, was arrested after Flight 772 made an emergency landing at Toronto's Pearson International Airport on Friday morning. It was escorted by two U.S. F-16 military jets.



Shahi was charged with mischief to property, mischief interfering of the lawful enjoyment of property, uttering threats and endangering the safety of an aircraft


He was released on $1,000 bail after appearing at a Brampton court.


Shahi was ordered not to board a plane or enter Pearson International Airport as part of the conditions for his release.

Outside the courthouse his father Sadegh Shahi said that his son will be sent to a hospital for a psychological assessment for at least 72 hours at the request of his family.


"That’s what I want," Sadegh Shahi said. "He's been suffering for 10 years now ... I hope they are going to do something for him."




More here......


Ali Shahi, Sunwing threat suspect, released on bail - Toronto - CBC News




His father blames the police and the Health system for not doing anything after they've allegedly called police a number of times. Well, now I think they will do something. You have to wonder though, what can police and the health system do if a 25 year old has done nothing wrong (yet) and doesn't want any help? I can imagine it's a frightening thing when you think your child has potential to do serious harm but nothing can be done, until he/she does something like this.
 
Locutus
#2
it's our fault I think.
 
SLM
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by QuebecCanadianView Post



His father blames the police and the Health system for not doing anything after they've allegedly called police a number of times. Well, now I think they will do something. You have to wonder though, what can police and the health system do if a 25 year old has done nothing wrong (yet) and doesn't want any help? I can imagine it's a frightening thing when you think your child has potential to do serious harm but nothing can be done, until he/she does something like this.

Nothing, they can't do anything. You can't help someone that doesn't want help.

I see it over and over with a neighbour. Adult son who lives with his dad goes off his meds and begins to self-medicate with alcohol. Things reach a pitch and they are fighting all the time, the old man calls 911. The police cart him off on a seventy-two hour hold ( or whatever it is). Three days go by, son grabs a cab from the hospital and the old man pays the cab fare and lets him in again. But I suppose the only other recourse is to shut his door and leave his son out in the cold. Honestly, as a parent, I'm not sure I could do that either.

Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

it's our fault I think.

Not mine. I'm blameless and surprising innocent.
 
Locutus
+1
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Not mine. I'm blameless and surprising innocent.

I'll buy that for a dollar.
 
SLM
+1
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

I'll buy that for a dollar.

Woo hoo! I just made a dollar!

Now only $999,999,999.00 more to go and then I will have

 
Retired_Can_Soldier
#6
Unbelievable.
 
Locutus
#7
'Ali is not at fault'

"I am sorry for what happened on the flight, but Ali is not at fault," his father Shadegh Shahi said. "I blame the police and health system. We called the police for help more than 23 times in the last two to three years, but unfortunately they did nothing to help us or help my son."

Shahi has “deep depression” that started in his teens after he was bullied for being “chubby,” according to his father and his uncle Matt Misha.

[...] For years, Sadegh says, he and his wife have called police, doctors, and psychologists looking for help but no one has been able to help their son, who suffers from depression, and a gambling problem.

“He has deep depression. He’s in his room with the door locked. And this is the problem. We barely see him,” Sadegh said. “He has no friends, not even with his relatives; he doesn’t want to see anybody.” [...]
 
QuebecCanadian
#8
Well apparently he has a girlfriend. She was on the flight with him.


They were calling police after he was 21....I don't think they can do anything without cause.
 
Locutus
+1
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by QuebecCanadianView Post

Well apparently he has a girlfriend. She was on the flight with him.


They were calling police after he was 21....I don't think they can do anything without cause.


yep...therefore, fuk daddy Shadegh Shahi and his excuses.
 
lone wolf
+1
#10
You can bet it won't happen again. Shahi will feature prominently on No Fly lists for a while
 
SLM
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

yep...therefore, fuk daddy Shadegh Shahi and his excuses.

He (Daddy) is just freaking out. So let him rant & rail, I trust the system to deal with junior appropriately now that he's in the system.
 
Goober
#12
Just a question
has anyone here had a family member or a friend that they tried to get help for a mental illness?
Just wondering is all.
Should see the lineups.
 
lone wolf
#13
The biggest hurdle is in convincing the family member or friend they need the help - especially when they've dumped the meds because "they're poisoning me". Been there - very recently, as a matter of fact.
 
Goober
+1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

The biggest hurdle is in convincing the family member or friend they need the help - especially when they've dumped the meds because "they're poisoning me". Been there - very recently, as a matter of fact.

Or the wait times.
They are long.
 
JLM
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by QuebecCanadianView Post

Well apparently he has a girlfriend. She was on the flight with him.


They were calling police after he was 21....I don't think they can do anything without cause.


Who's to say she isn't wingier than his is?
 
SLM
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Just a question
has anyone here had a family member or a friend that they tried to get help for a mental illness?
Just wondering is all.
Should see the lineups.

No doubt, it's an absolutely brutal system. Anything in the healthcare system, you feel like rats in a maze.

To me, the Dad is just being a Dad, he's upset, probably has indeed been frustrated for a long time if this is someone who truly has a mental illness. And of course the media is there to feed off of that.
 
lone wolf
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Or the wait times.
They are long.

Buddy's been in and out and in and out and ... you know - the revolving door plan. He went in again Wednesday with help from Sudbury Regional Police - the end result of a speech at the Big Nickel's Fiftieth birthday celebration. Good thing. I'm tired of hearing his plans for a funnel train and rants of blue-eyed mongrels and Lady Liberty
 
Goober
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Who's to say she isn't wingier than his is?

Ever dealt with someone with a mental illness?
 
JLM
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Ever dealt with someone with a mental illness?


Yep, lots. - Back in 1971 my room mate got quite "around the bend", for one thing he believed people were avoiding him because he thought he gave off a bad odor and figured he should burn every thing he owned. Anyway it got to the point where I took him into the hospital in Campbell River and admitted him, they sent him to the mainland for some treatment, he was back in a month or so and 8 months later jumped off the 8th floor of a highrise in Vancouver. He was just one.
 
Nuggler
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Yep, lots. - Back in 1971 my room mate got quite "around the bend", for one thing he believed people were avoiding him because he thought he gave off a bad odor and figured he should burn every thing he owned. Anyway it got to the point where I took him into the hospital in Campbell River and admitted him, they sent him to the mainland for some treatment, he was back in a month or so and 8 months later jumped off the 8th floor of a highrise in Vancouver. He was just one.


You seem to have an adverse affect on some folks, eh.!
 
taxslave
+1
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

it's our fault I think.

He ain't white so of course it is our fault.
 
JLM
+1
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

You seem to have an adverse affect on some folks, eh.!


More than likely! Working environment didn't always suit every one. Try living in a logging camp for awhile!
 
Nuggler
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Or the wait times.
They are long.

Too long. A hunting buddy shot himself in a fit of depression. BUT; he was the last person one would think of as depressed.- always a positive influence and a great organizer. go figure.

Only after his death did his wife say he'd been trying to go see a doc and get help.. If we had known we would have at least tried to talk to him.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

More than likely! Working environment didn't always suit every one. Try living in a logging camp for awhile!

Kiddin wit ya JLM. Thanks but no thanks to the logging camp. Close quarters don't appeal to me. And, some guys really do stink. Maybe that got to him also.
 
petros
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Just a question
has anyone here had a family member or a friend that they tried to get help for a mental illness?
Just wondering is all.
Should see the lineups.

Yes. A friend. Shrinks committed him for 4 weeks.

Quote:

Only after his death did his wife say he'd been trying to go see a doc and get help.. If we had known we would have at least tried to talk to him

If he had of said he would harm himself, Docs are obligated to commit for minimum 72hrs instantly.
 
JLM
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Yes. A friend. Shrinks committed him for 4 weeks.

If he had of said he would harm himself, Docs are obligated to commit for minimum 72hrs instantly.

I


I imagine a fair amount of it has to do with bi- polar (manic depressive) I've had a little contact with it. From what I can gather most of problems have to do with them deciding they don't need their medications. One family member has been that way for 20 years and was in and out of the "rubber room", but I guess finally she's decided to stick with her meds (she lost custody of her son in the process) and has been fine for a couple of years. Extremely intelligent person - it side tracked her off a career as a doctor.
 
petros
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I imagine a fair amount of it has to do with bi- polar (manic depressive) I've had a little contact with it. From what I can gather most of problems have to do with them deciding they don't need their medications. One family member has been that way for 20 years and was in and out of the "rubber room", but I guess finally she's decided to stick with her meds (she lost custody of her son in the process) and has been fine for a couple of years. Extremely intelligent person - it side tracked her off a career as a doctor.

Bi-polars need sleep and a good diet more so than medications.
 
JLM
#27
I'm beginning to think the whole incident was exaggerated!
 
SLM
#28
A short time ago I watched a documentary on Nova called "Mind of a Rampage Killer" and there was this one family featured where the young (teen) son had been prone to outbursts of rage and often violence pretty much his whole life. Now, at least as of the time the documentary was shot, he hadn't committed a violent criminal act, and hopefully he won't, but it did make me wonder just how many violent offenders we have in the system who started off this way, perhaps maybe growing up in a home with a parent or parents who weren't so dedicated to seeking help for their child as this boy's mother was.

Anyhow here's how he described it:

Quote:

MICHAEL: Your mind goes blank. You think about nothing but getting revenge on the people that have hurt you, you lash out and do violent things. It's very hurtful, and afterwards you may be incredibly tired and basically depressed. You feel really bad about it, but you know that there's not really anything you can do to them to make up to the people you hurt during those incidents. You can't control yourself when you're like that and no one else can. When you get like that, you just want to get the heck away from anyone in the area. It's kind of like a werewolf. When a werewolf turns into a werewolf, it doesn't know who he is, it doesn't know where he is, it's just wants to hurt and fight people.
MILES O'BRIEN: Wow, so you feel like there's another person inside, almost?
MICHAEL: Basically.
MILES O'BRIEN: Scary.
MICHAEL: Yes.

NOVA | Mind of a Rampage Killer (external - login to view)



Now I'm not suggesting this guy is anything like this boy at all, whether the Sunwing threat suspect has a legitimate mental illness I couldn't even venture to guess. But the way this young boy describes his 'episodes' (for lack of a better word), it does make you think.
 

Similar Threads

no new posts