Police Probe Mysterious Porcelain Dolls Left In Front of Homes of Girls They Resemble

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
ok then

Police are investigating a strange case in a California community, where porcelain dolls are being left on the doorsteps of girls they hold an eerie resemblance to.

At least eight families have received the dolls in the Talega community of San Clemente, with all of the girls targeted around 10 years old.

Families began filing police reports about the dolls as early as June 16, but the mystery of their origin continues.

“It caught me by surprise,” Lt. Jeff Hallock from the Orange County Sheriff’s Department told ABC News. “It spun of control.”

“We’re trying to connect the families and the girls,” he added. “We’re trying to figure out if there is a correlation.”

Though some of the girls do attend the same school, some families don’t know each other, making it difficult for investigators to uncover who is leaving the dolls.

“The dolls were being left at these homes, but everybody thought they were the only one,” said Hallock. “When the families started communicating and put it together, they became concerned.”

Police are trying to figure out if the dolls were homemade or bought at a local retailer.

Though the situation may seem eerie, the police see no foul play.

“At this point we don’t have a specific crime,” Hallock said. “It’s very suspicious activity and we’re following up on it. We’re trying to find answers as we speak.”

https://gma.yahoo.com/police-probe-...ont-homes-230420655--abc-news-topstories.html

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Creepy! Porcelain dolls that resemble daughters left on California porches

Creepy! Porcelain dolls that resemble daughters left on California porches - ABC15 Arizona

If you ever feared Chucky, the murderous red-haired doll, then this story may not be for you.

What would you do if you found a porcelain doll on your doorstep? What if the doll resembled a little girl in your home? Some residents in San Clemente, Calif. have alerted officials about the creepy trend that's spooking them.

According to the Orange County Sheriff's Department, various Talega community residents have found porcelain dolls on their porches, and those dolls resemble the daughters of the homeowners.

Sheriff's investigators said eight homes were left with the creepy figurines. The dolls were collected as evidence and are being examined by officials to try to identify the origin of the dolls as well as who left them.

According to ABC News , some of the girls do attend the same schools, but some of the families don't know each other.

Lt. Jeff Hallock from OCSD told ABC News that there is no "specific crime" at the moment, but "it's very suspicious activity" that is being investigated.

Police are also trying to figure out if the dolls were homemade or if they were purchased through a retailer.

May all you guys in North America sleep well tonight :twisted:

and remember.... make sure you have your dolls set to "Good" before going to bed.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Calif. police say 'creepy' dolls left on doorsteps was 'goodwill' gesture
QMI Agency
First posted: Friday, July 25, 2014 10:12 AM EDT | Updated: Friday, July 25, 2014 10:18 AM EDT
A woman told police she was placing porcelain dolls on the porches of various homes in San Clemente, Calif., as a goodwill gesture and she did not mean to frighten anyone.
At least eight parents called police Tuesday after porcelain dolls were left on their doorsteps. Some called the dolls creepy while others voiced concern the dolls resembled their daughters.
The Orange County Sheriff's Department said late Thursday that officers talked to a woman who lived in the area and attended church with many of the families and admitted to leaving the dolls.
"Investigators have concluded that her motivation was out of goodwill and that she intended it as a kind gesture," a release said. Police are no longer investigating.
Two of the porcelain dolls left in front of homes in San Clemente, Calif. (Orange County Sheriff's Department)

Calif. police say 'creepy' dolls left on doorsteps was 'goodwill' gesture | Weir

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Goodwill gesture?. Or did the dude think it was 'kinda hot'?

It was apparently the resident 'cat lady' (or derivation thereof) of the neighbourhood, so it would be 'dudette' I suppose. Apparently she was cleaning out her attic or something and decided to give away her doll collection to the girls in the neighbourhood.

Regardless of intent or "goodwill" it's inappropriate. What parent in their right mind wouldn't be suspicious of a stranger bestowing gifts upon their children? She went about it in the wrong way, it shouldn't have been anonymous, she should have gotten permission from the parents first.

QuebecCanadian

Electoral Member
Apr 13, 2014
Calif. police say 'creepy' dolls left on doorsteps was 'goodwill' gesture
QMI Agency
First posted: Friday, July 25, 2014 10:12 AM EDT | Updated: Friday, July 25, 2014 10:18 AM EDT
A woman told police she was placing porcelain dolls on the porches of various homes in San Clemente, Calif., as a goodwill gesture and she did not mean to frighten anyone.
At least eight parents called police Tuesday after porcelain dolls were left on their doorsteps. Some called the dolls creepy while others voiced concern the dolls resembled their daughters.
The Orange County Sheriff's Department said late Thursday that officers talked to a woman who lived in the area and attended church with many of the families and admitted to leaving the dolls.
"Investigators have concluded that her motivation was out of goodwill and that she intended it as a kind gesture," a release said. Police are no longer investigating.
Two of the porcelain dolls left in front of homes in San Clemente, Calif. (Orange County Sheriff's Department)

Calif. police say 'creepy' dolls left on doorsteps was 'goodwill' gesture | Weir
She couldn't leave a note?!?

Okay but see how these things get spun? Now there is no mention of the "eerie resemblance" to the kids. Think maybe that was added for sensationalism? It certainly was a huge factor in my opinion.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
She couldn't leave a note?!?

Okay but see how these things get spun? Now there is no mention of the "eerie resemblance" to the kids. Think maybe that was added for sensationalism? It certainly was a huge factor in my opinion.

Yeah that's media spin definitely. It was the parents, some of them, that speculated about a resemblance to their own daughters. Not that I blame them really, it's such an odd random thing I would imagine they'd be searching for some kind of explanation.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
It was apparently the resident 'cat lady' (or derivation thereof) of the neighbourhood, so it would be 'dudette' I suppose. Apparently she was cleaning out her attic or something and decided to give away her doll collection to the girls in the neighbourhood.

Regardless of intent or "goodwill" it's inappropriate. What parent in their right mind wouldn't be suspicious of a stranger bestowing gifts upon their children? She went about it in the wrong way, it shouldn't have been anonymous, she should have gotten permission from the parents first.

Oh yeah! We should definitely get rid of anonymous charitable actions. :roll:

Gotta be the worst crime around to do something nice for a child...they might learn to do nice things too.

QuebecCanadian

Electoral Member
Apr 13, 2014

Gotta be the worst crime around to do something nice for a child...they might learn to do nice things too.
Unfortunately in this day and age, you can't give anonymous gifts to children and not have it seen as potentially creepy. Turns out this was innocent but I certainly wouldn't take that for granted. Sad fact.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Maybe you should try giving out candy to random children on the street then.....see how far that gets you. And when it gets you into trouble, you can explain that you were just trying to teach children how to do nice things. :roll:

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Maybe you should try giving out candy to random children on the street then.....see how far that gets you. And when it gets you into trouble, you can explain that you were just trying to teach children how to do nice things. :roll:

Why would I get in trouble? As long as it isn't poisoned and I'm not making asking for them to do anything there is no problem. Except maybe from the current crop of idiots who see nefarious things in kindness. It isn't illegal to give things away ya know. I'm sure there would be 1 or 2 people like yourself who would be all scared and freak out but most would just be astonished to see someone doing random acts of kindness in today's greedy and self-centered society.

QuebecCanadian

Electoral Member
Apr 13, 2014
Why would I get in trouble? As long as it isn't poisoned and I'm not making asking for them to do anything there is no problem. Except maybe from the current crop of idiots who see nefarious things in kindness. It isn't illegal to give things away ya know. I'm sure there would be 1 or 2 people like yourself who would be all scared and freak out but most would just be astonished to see someone doing random acts of kindness in today's greedy and self-centered society.
1 or 2 people Nick. Any parent worth their salt has already told their kids not to take candy from strangers. Why do you think that is? Because on the off chance that the candy IS poisoned or someone's waiting to pull them in a van where there is "more candy", it won't be their kid that is tomorrow's headline. So...insult a kind stranger or risk something sinister, Sorry Nick, my kids would turn and run.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
This is the world we live in today.

Stranger danger is an acceptable precaution for any child.

QuebecCanadian

Electoral Member
Apr 13, 2014
I wonder what kind of ulterior motives one can find in shoveling a senior's driveway and walk some time in the night?
That would be wonderful to wake up to! But don't leave a porcelain doll for their Grandchild after you're done...not without some kind of explanation :)

She could have remained anonymous and still left a note, btw