Amber Alert for Calgary boy, 5, who was last seen with grandparents


Sal
#1
This is a strange scenario...



Amber Alert for Calgary boy, 5, who was last seen with grandparents



CALGARY - An Amber Alert has been issued for what police say could be the abduction of a five-year-old boy from southwest Calgary.
Police say the mother of Nathan O’Brien dropped him off at her parents' home at 10 p.m. Sunday night for a sleepover.


"She comes back at 10 this morning, notably sees that the house is not normally as it is and there's other things within the house that would lead us to believe that they did not leave on their own volition," said Calgary police spokesman Kevin Brookwell.


He said he couldn't give any details about what those things were and said the grandparents, 66-year-old Alvin Cecil Liknes and Kathryn Faye Liknes, 53, are not suspects.


"We're remaining optimistic that all three will be found safe and sound," Brookwell said. "Right now it's a suspicious disappearance of all three."


There are no custody issues with the family — the boy's parents are married and he is their biological son — and police have no history with the family, who are being co-operative, he added.


The grandparents' vehicles are accounted for, as are those of the family, which initially had police ruling out sending out an Amber Alert. But Brookwell said police and Alberta government officials then changed their minds.


"Normally when you look for the criteria for an Amber Alert, what was missing was a description about an abductor or a mode of transportation, which still exists, but given the other criteria, we do have a good description of the young lad as well as the grandparents, we decided we would put out an Amber Alert regardless of missing that one criteria," Brookwell said.


Nathan O'Brien is described as three feet tall, curly blonde hair and last seen wearing peach-coloured shorts and a blue-striped hoodie.
Alvin Liknes is six feet tall, 200 pounds with grey and blond hair and was wearing black shorts. Alvin has a distinctive walk. Kathryn Liknes is five foot, three inches tall, 120 pounds with reddish-brown hair and green eyes.


"It is a weird one," Brookwell said.


"We are doing neighbourhood inquiries as well to see if anybody saw or heard anything suspicious, but so far nothing, so that's why we are reaching out to the public."
 
SLM
+1
#2
This is very bizarre. I was sure when I first heard about this that we'd eventually hear how there was some kind of dispute within the family, but that really doesn't appear to be the case. And I only say that because it's difficult to conceive of three people being taken from their home in what looks to be a normal, middle class neighbourhood. But I suppose after the Tim Bosma case, and I sincerely hope we're not looking at a replay like that, nothing much should surprise anymore.

ca.news.yahoo.com/calgary-pol...165127351.html (external - login to view)
 
Twila
#3
This is surreal. Almost unbelievable. Like something from CSI or Law and order.
 
Sal
#4
they said this morning that there was every indication in the house that the grandparents did not leave willingly

puzzling
 
SLM
+1
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

they said this morning that there was every indication in the house that the grandparents did not leave willingly

puzzling

More than puzzling. It's frightening.

I would assume if there was anything untoward or questionable in their history (not that it would ever justify abduction, but it might explain it) it would have come to light by now, so this seems like a stranger abduction. Of two adults and one child.
 
eh1eh
+2
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

This is surreal. Almost unbelievable. Like something from CSI or Law and order.

Or worse, Criminal Minds.
 
Twila
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

More than puzzling. It's frightening.

I would assume if there was anything untoward or questionable in their history (not that it would ever justify abduction, but it might explain it) it would have come to light by now, so this seems like a stranger abduction. Of two adults and one child.

a stranger abduction would require a lot of prep and what would be their goal? It would have to be more than 1 person involved and that always creates issues of trust.
 
SLM
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

a stranger abduction would require a lot of prep and what would be their goal? It would have to be more than 1 person involved and that always creates issues of trust.

I agree, it doesn't make sense.

But then neither did abducting a fully grown and healthy male on a weekend afternoon either. Yet that is exactly what happened to Tim Bosma.
 
Sal
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

More than puzzling. It's frightening.

I would assume if there was anything untoward or questionable in their history (not that it would ever justify abduction, but it might explain it) it would have come to light by now, so this seems like a stranger abduction. Of two adults and one child.

It is frightening.

The other day I was flipping around and stopped at a show called Murder She Solved because it was a Canadian case and I had completely forgotten about it.

Do you remember the Blackburn case from over a decade ago. Their bodies were found in the trunk of the wife's car. They were from Toronto and had a hobby farm up North a bit Colburn I think.

The guy that murdered them had an antique store in Orangeville. When they caught him he had just garroted some woman out west. She lived. Two others that he had kidnapped earlier lived only because a cop out driving in a remote wooded area investigated an abandoned car. Snow the perp had two women tied to trees. He fled and they did not catch him for a bit.

It's a untrue that being with another person means you are safe. We used to hike in remote regions all of the time. We still take solitary trails but are far more wary than we used to be.

Safety in numbers is not true.
 
SLM
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

It is frightening.

The other day I was flipping around and stopped at a show called Murder She Solved because it was a Canadian case and I had completely forgotten about it.

Do you remember the Blackburn case from over a decade ago. Their bodies were found in the trunk of the wife's car. They were from Toronto and had a hobby farm up North a bit Colburn I think.

The guy that murdered them had an antique store in Orangeville. When they caught him he had just garroted some woman out west. She lived. Two others that he had kidnapped earlier lived only because a cop out driving in a remote wooded area investigated an abandoned car. Snow the perp had two women tied to trees. He fled and they did not catch him for a bit.

It's vaguely familiar but a decade ago I was in Ottawa, so it might not have made the daily papers there as it did in SWO.

Quote:

It's a untrue that being with another person means you are safe. We used to hike in remote regions all of the time. We still take solitary trails but are far more wary than we used to be.

Safety in numbers is not true.

I don't think there is ever a guarantee of safety, alone or part of a group, there just isn't. But I think what you need to do is play the odds and I think your relative safety increases proportionate with the number of people you are with.

And I stumbled across this article this morning.

Son of missing Lyle and Marie McCann says the waiting and guessing 'becomes all (external - login to view)

When I first started reading more information about this current case of the 5 year old and his grandparents, it briefly reminded me of the McCann case. And I wondered 'whatever happened'.....and as it turns out, nothing has happened in that case. I sincerely hope this family doesn't have that to deal with in their future.
 
Twila
#11
Police say it's become "less of a mystery". I wonder if the grandparents have abducted their grandson and made it look like a stranger abduction...or a cover up for a horrendous accident. I'm guessing there are no strangers involved.

Police say disappearance is less of a mysteryť going into fifth day (external - login to view)
 
Sal
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Police say it's become "less of a mystery". I wonder if the grandparents have abducted their grandson and made it look like a stranger abduction...or a cover up for a horrendous accident. I'm guessing there are no strangers involved.

Police say disappearance is less of a mysteryť going into fifth day (external - login to view)

could be but they are finger printing people which is strange and interested in people who dropped by the estate sale

Quote:

While investigators followed up on fresh tips that emerged after the family members of the missing trio issued pleas for help, police were also stationed at the Parkhill Stanley Park Community Hall to speak with anyone who attended the estate sale at the Likneses’ home.
Visitors were seen entering the building and leaving 40 to 60 minutes later. Andrus said police are fingerprinting residents in an effort to match prints found inside the home.
The Likneses had been preparing for a long-planned move to Mexico, with eventual plans to take up residence in Edmonton.
Police are trying to figure out what items were purchased at the estate sale and what remains in the home. Anyone who attended the sale was asked to stop by the Parkhill Stanley Park Community Hall at 4013 Stanley Road S.W., from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.



__________________________________________________ _________________________________________
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

It's vaguely familiar but a decade ago I was in Ottawa, so it might not have made the daily papers there as it did in SWO.

yeah you are likely right although it did become a cross Canada search...I don't remember being all that informed about the case at the time but it was likely pre internet which makes a significant difference to me

Quote:

I don't think there is ever a guarantee of safety, alone or part of a group, there just isn't. But I think what you need to do is play the odds and I think your relative safety increases proportionate with the number of people you are with.

I agree although weren't there a whole bunch of student nurses slaughtered in some house they all lived in...that is a vague recollection from when I was a kid...Richard Speck...yeah that was it...




And I stumbled across this article this morning.

Quote:

Son of missing Lyle and Marie McCann says the waiting and guessing 'becomes all (external - login to view)

geez how sad and I hate to admit it but they had slipped my mind...this couple vanished never to be heard from again

Quote:

When I first started reading more information about this current case of the 5 year old and his grandparents, it briefly reminded me of the McCann case. And I wondered 'whatever happened'.....and as it turns out, nothing has happened in that case. I sincerely hope this family doesn't have that to deal with in their future.

I hope they don't either...the one that used to be in front of us all the time was John Walsh's son Adam until they found his severed head years later...sheer torture. I never knew someone had confessed but was never convicted. can you imagine this kind of guilt:
Quote:

Revé, Adam Walsh's mother, took Adam shopping with her in a Hollywood, Florida Sears department store on July 27, 1981. She said that she stopped to check out lamps a few aisles away and left Adam at a kiosk with Atari 2600 video games on display. Shortly afterwards, she said that she returned to find that Adam and the other boys had disappeared. A store manager informed her that a scuffle had broken out over whose turn it was at the kiosk and a security guard demanded that the boys leave the store. The security guard asked the older boys if their parents were in the store, and the boys said that they were not.[4] It was later conjectured by Adam's parents that he was too shy to speak to the security officer, who presumed that he was in the company of the other boys, and put him out the same door. Based upon Revé's claim that Adam was in the store with her, it was conjectured that Adam was then left alone near an exit of Sears that was...

Quote has been trimmed
 
Twila
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

could be but they are finger printing people which is strange and interested in people who dropped by the estate sale

They have to account for all the finger prints in the house. Part of the due diligence.
 
talloola
#14
that name 'McCann' confused me at first, as i was flashing bAck to the 'madellaine mcCann' abduction
which took place in portugal i think a few years back, didn't connect the names before.

the little girl who disappeared from their hotel room while they were having dinner, (or something like
that), and they haven't seen her since either, although there was a story a few months back that said
they had a report that someone thought they saw 'her', but that quickly faded away.

going back several years, since the two couples, and their children disappeared somewhere in the caribou, (Johnson & Bentley),
please correct me if i have names wrong, as they found out some lunatic who lived in the bushes,
shot them, pushed their vehicles over the bank, not sure about the rest of it.

ever since then, i have never thought about the wilderness being the serene place one thinks, its not
the four legged animals one needs to be fearful of, its the two legged ones.

at least in the city, one has grown up knowing the possibilities, and become wise to just who could be
out there, but in the wilderness, it is totally being blindsided by someone who we would not ever be
ready for.

ok, i'm off track now, back to calgary.
Last edited by talloola; Jul 4th, 2014 at 01:36 PM..
 
Sal
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

They have to account for all the finger prints in the house. Part of the due diligence.

wow, that is one huge azzed job then because of the sale

so do you think the grandparents took him because they didn't want to go away without him...seems strange when they could just stay...it would be a weird thing to do but maybe
 
Twila
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

wow, that is one huge azzed job then because of the sale

so do you think the grandparents took him because they didn't want to go away without him...seems strange when they could just stay...it would be a weird thing to do but maybe

Maybe they'd only be looking at prints on doors and items that would have to be touched by the kidnapper. This seems more reasonable.

I had 2 thoughts. Possibly the grandparents took the boy and made it look like they didn't go willingly. Or worse...an accident befell the boy and there is a mass coverup. Possibly the grandparents were killed in attempt to cover it all up.

I think it's highly unlikely that they will remain disappeared. It's only going to be a matter of time before someone cracks.
 
Sal
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Maybe they'd only be looking at prints on doors and items that would have to be touched by the kidnapper. This seems more reasonable.

I had 2 thoughts. Possibly the grandparents took the boy and made it look like they didn't go willingly. Or worse...an accident befell the boy and there is a mass coverup. Possibly the grandparents were killed in attempt to cover it all up.

I think it's highly unlikely that they will remain disappeared. It's only going to be a matter of time before someone cracks.

it certainly is a strange one but it does look like they are heading toward a solution
 
SLM
+1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

I hope they don't either...the one that used to be in front of us all the time was John Walsh's son Adam until they found his severed head years later...sheer torture. I never knew someone had confessed but was never convicted. can you imagine this kind of guilt:

Now that one I remember vividly. I always had a lot of respect for him in how he turned his own grief into such a positive thing, bringing a lot of other people closure I think.

Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

that name 'McCann' confused me at first, as i was flashing bAck to the 'madellaine mcCann' abduction
which took place in portugal i think a few years back, didn't connect the names before.

the little girl who disappeared from their hotel room while they were having dinner, (or something like
that), and they haven't seen her since either, although there was a story a few months back that said
they had a report that someone thought they saw 'her', but that quickly faded away.

going back several years, since the two couples, and their children disappeared somewhere in the caribou, (Johnson & Bentley),
please correct me if i have names wrong, as they found out some lunatic who lived in the bushes,
shot them, pushed their vehicles over the bank, not sure about the rest of it.

ever since then, i have never thought about the wilderness being the serene place one thinks, its not
the four legged animals one needs to be fearful of, its the two legged ones.

at least in the city, one has grown up knowing the possibilities, and become wise to just who could be
out there, but in the wilderness, it is totally being blindsided by someone who we would not ever be
ready for.

ok, i'm off track now, back to calgary.

Honestly Talloola, I couldn't remember their names either, just that a retired couple had vanished after leaving for a road trip. It was only when I stumbled upon the article that the rest of it came flooding back.
 
Sal
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

that name 'McCann' confused me at first, as i was flashing bAck to the 'madellaine mcCann' abduction
which took place in portugal i think a few years back, didn't connect the names before.

the little girl who disappeared from their hotel room while they were having dinner, (or something like
that), and they haven't seen her since either, although there was a story a few months back that said
they had a report that someone thought they saw 'her', but that quickly faded away.

going back several years, since the two couples, and their children disappeared somewhere in the caribou, (Johnson & Bentley),
please correct me if i have names wrong, as they found out some lunatic who lived in the bushes,
shot them, pushed their vehicles over the bank, not sure about the rest of it.

ever since then, i have never thought about the wilderness being the serene place one thinks, its not
the four legged animals one needs to be fearful of, its the two legged ones.

at least in the city, one has grown up knowing the possibilities, and become wise to just who could be
out there, but in the wilderness, it is totally being blindsided by someone who we would not ever be
ready for.

ok, i'm off track now, back to calgary.

I don't really think you are off track...I think that such disappearances make us aware that there are crazies around and if they are out hunting and choose us as prey we are vulnerable
 
talloola
+1
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Now that one I remember vividly. I always had a lot of respect for him in how he turned his own grief into such a positive thing, bringing a lot of other people closure I think.



Honestly Talloola, I couldn't remember their names either, just that a retired couple had vanished after leaving for a road trip. It was only when I stumbled upon the article that the rest of it came flooding back.

the story i am remembering isn't the retired couple, it was the johnson and bentley families, 6 of them,
camping in wells grey park, way back in the 80's i think, and they were all killed by the lunatic who
lived out there in the bush somewhere.

then as the years went by, other stories surfaced of other people killed in the wilderness, including
the retired couple a few years back, i wonder what ever happened to them, whomever did them in, is
still out there somewhere.

yes john walsh is a very special person, the tragedy in his family brought him to
all of us, which turned the horrible death of his son into a very positive move
forward to create a very open and more positive reaction to such happenings,
and then the amber alert program, and his tv show, a very sad situation to begin
with.
 
Sal
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Now that one I remember vividly. I always had a lot of respect for him in how he turned his own grief into such a positive thing, bringing a lot of other people closure I think.

yes he helped a lot of people over the years

Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

the story i am remembering isn't the retired couple, it was the johnson and bentley families, 6 of them,
camping in wells grey park, way back in the 80's i think, and they were all killed by the lunatic who
lived out there in the bush somewhere.

then as the years went by, other stories surfaced of other people killed in the wilderness, including
the retired couple a few years back, i wonder what ever happened to them, whomever did them in, is
still out there somewhere.

hey that one nudges some memories... it was a super nice camping area with wood lean-to covers I think
 
Goober
#22
Calgary police looking for pickup truck in Amber Alert investigation into missing boy, grandparents | National Post

CALGARY — Calgary police are looking for a pickup truck and its driver in their investigation into a missing five-year-old boy and his grandparents.

Police say a truck was in the area on Sunday night when the three were last seen.

The truck is described as a late 80s or early 90s green Ford F-150 in very good condition.

Five-year-old Nathan O’Brien and his grandparents — Alvin and Kathy Liknes — were reported missing Monday morning by the boy’s mother.

Nathan had been at a sleepover at his grandparent’s home following an estate sale over the weekend.
 
Sal
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Calgary police looking for pickup truck in Amber Alert investigation into missing boy, grandparents | National Post

CALGARY — Calgary police are looking for a pickup truck and its driver in their investigation into a missing five-year-old boy and his grandparents.

Police say a truck was in the area on Sunday night when the three were last seen.

The truck is described as a late 80s or early 90s green Ford F-150 in very good condition.

Five-year-old Nathan O’Brien and his grandparents — Alvin and Kathy Liknes — were reported missing Monday morning by the boy’s mother.

Nathan had been at a sleepover at his grandparent’s home following an estate sale over the weekend.

hm back to the fearful thoughts again...somehow it was more comforting to believe gramma and poppa took him with them...I truly hope they are coping with this okay and that who ever took them comes to their senses before they reach that fork in the road where there is no going back
 
SLM
+1
#24
Now they're calling it a "violent incident".

'Violent incident' took place at Calgary home in missing family case | CTV News (external - login to view)

Quote:

Andrus said forensic experts are analyzing the evidence to determine the nature of the crime and who was involved. However, he said based on the evidence, police believe someone was in “medical distress.”


Not good.Not good at all.

My heart goes out to that family.
 
Goober
+1
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Now they're calling it a "violent incident".

'Violent incident' took place at Calgary home in missing family case | CTV News (external - login to view)


Not good.Not good at all.

My heart goes out to that family.

Just heard that myself.

Now that truck is distinctive. Not many like that on the road today.
You can be sure they are running the registries. Not only in AB.
Last edited by Goober; Jul 4th, 2014 at 06:39 PM..
 
SLM
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Just heard that myself.

My heart sunk when I first heard that.

Quote:

Now that truck is distinctive. Not many like that on the road today.
You can be sure they are running the registries. Not only in AB.

That's what a lot of people are saying. Surely someone know who owns the truck, even if it's someone whom they don't believe would ever be involved in such an event, at least they can be eliminated by the police. If someone was in medical distress on Monday, time could be of the essence.
 
petros
#27
XxxxxxX
 
Goober
#28
Deleted.
Last edited by Goober; Jul 4th, 2014 at 07:22 PM..
 
SLM
#29
Police cordon off area north of Calgary; no confirmation search linked to missing family case


he Canadian Press
Published Saturday, July 5, 2014 7:32PM EDT
AIRDRIE, Alta. -- Police cordoned off an acreage northeast of Airdrie, Alta. Saturday but police aren't saying if there is a connection to the case of a missing five-year-old and his grandparents.
Police are searching the acreage, on a tree-lined driveway, just northeast of Airdrie, a bedroom community just north of Calgary.
There has been no confirmation from investigators that it is related to the disappearance of five-year-old Nathan O'Brien and his grandparents Alvin and Kathy Liknes.


Calgary police, who are on the scene along with RCMP, are only saying it's part of an ongoing investigation.
Two police tactical teams are on hand as well.
Several officers could be seen on Saturday searching the grounds inside the property near Airdrie.
The three Calgary residents disappeared from their Calgary home on Monday.
Calgary Police have confirmed there was evidence that a violent incident took place in the home.

Read more: Police cordon off area north of Calgary; no confirmation search linked to missing family case | CTV News (external - login to view)




 
Sal
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Police cordon off area north of Calgary; no confirmation search linked to missing family case


he Canadian Press
Published Saturday, July 5, 2014 7:32PM EDT
AIRDRIE, Alta. -- Police cordoned off an acreage northeast of Airdrie, Alta. Saturday but police aren't saying if there is a connection to the case of a missing five-year-old and his grandparents.
Police are searching the acreage, on a tree-lined driveway, just northeast of Airdrie, a bedroom community just north of Calgary.
There has been no confirmation from investigators that it is related to the disappearance of five-year-old Nathan O'Brien and his grandparents Alvin and Kathy Liknes.


Calgary police, who are on the scene along with RCMP, are only saying it's part of an ongoing investigation.
Two police tactical teams are on hand as well.
Several officers could be seen on Saturday searching the grounds inside the property near Airdrie.
The three Calgary residents disappeared from their Calgary home on Monday.
Calgary Police have confirmed there was evidence that a violent incident took place in the home.

Read more: Police cordon off area north of Calgary; no confirmation search linked to missing family case | CTV New (external - login to view)

hm, thanks for the update I keep checking but hadn't seen this one yet
 

Similar Threads

2
AMBER alert in BC
by El Barto | Apr 3rd, 2007
no new posts