LA Clippers to be sold to crazier, whiter, owner.


BornRuff
#1

Steve Ballmer going crazy - YouTube

 
damngrumpy
#2
Nothing like a guy who is out of shape jumping around on stage
This is what the clippers might be reduced to. Oh well likely an
improvement over what they have, Maybe the team could go
back to Seattle
 
Walter
#3
Big pay day for Sterling; good for him.
 
BornRuff
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Big pay day for Sterling; good for him.

Apparently he says he wont sign off on the deal, so maybe he still is the crazier one.
 
lone wolf
#5
I guess as long as Ballsy knows the right time to shut up. he'll be okay....
 
BornRuff
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

I guess as long as Ballsy knows the right time to shut up. he'll be okay....

They should give him court side seats for every game so he can do this dance every time the Clippers score.

Him and Mark Cuban can bare-knuckle box at every Mavs/Clippers game to determine who gets to hold the title as the most obnoxious owner.
 
lone wolf
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

They should give him court side seats for every game so he can do this dance every time the Clippers score.

Him and Mark Cuban can bare-knuckle box at every Mavs/Clippers game to determine who gets to hold the title as the most obnoxious owner.

The way he was huffing and puffing in the scope of that trailer, I doubt he'd last a period without trying out a set of paddles....
 
BornRuff
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

The way he was huffing and puffing in the scope of that trailer, I doubt he'd last a period without trying out a set of paddles....

If he has 2 billion to spend on this team, he can probably afford a new heart or two if need be.

BTW, I wonder if this is causing Forbes any embarrassment, since they had the team listed at 575 million. I know Balmy overpaid for this, but do you really think he spent 4 times market value?

The Business Of Basketball - Forbes
 
gopher
+2
#9  Top Rated Post
In all honesty, I'm now wondering whether the NBA has done the right thing by mandating a sale since it was reported on our local sports channel that sterling is mentally incapacitated. Don't know if this is true. But if he is then his unwise words could well be attributable to illness, not malice. On that basis maybe the league might allow his family to keep the team and dismiss the bad words as those of a sick, not bad, man. Well, for $2 B I'd gladly sell it but you have to wonder about the family's legacy.
 
BornRuff
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

In all honesty, I'm now wondering whether the NBA has done the right thing by mandating a sale since it was reported on our local sports channel that sterling is mentally incapacitated. Don't know if this is true. But if he is then his unwise words could well be attributable to illness, not malice. On that basis maybe the league might allow his family to keep the team and dismiss the bad words as those of a sick, not bad, man. Well, for $2 B I'd gladly sell it but you have to wonder about the family's legacy.

I did hear reports that he was declared unable to make decisions around this, but I don't know how accurate those are. Apparently he is fighting that.

Regardless, if he isn't fit to run the team, he shouldn't run the team. The league approved him as the owner, not his family. If he isn't fit to run the team, they are more than within their rights to move on to the next best person. Selling the team for 2 billion certainly isn't the worst punishment in the world.
 
Kreskin
#11
I had also heard that the valuation had been redeclared at around 1.3B before this offer. One of the issues was forcing the sale and subsequent tax liability. It sounds to me like this offer may have been raised to eat his tax liability if sold at 1.3.
 
Blackleaf
+2
#12
Quote:

LA Clippers to be sold to crazier, whiter, owner

What does the colour of his skin matter?

And why is everybody getting worked up about whatever story this is about? It's BASKETBALL, for crying out loud, just a group of silly men bouncing a ball around a sports centre and dropping it into a fishing net.

In fact, I'd rather watch the angling championships that they show on Sky Sports every year.
 
Walter
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

I had also heard that the valuation had been redeclared at around 1.3B before this offer. One of the issues was forcing the sale and subsequent tax liability. It sounds to me like this offer may have been raised to eat his tax liability if sold at 1.3.

All NBA owners are now licking their chops because if the Clippers, a pee-poor team at best over the years, are worth 2B What does that make the Celtics or the Knicks worth. NBA owners need to be watching their backs.

Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

What does the colour of his skin matter?

The OP poster is a racist, that's why.
 
Kreskin
#14
Ironically this situation has multiple rich guys who will do just about anything not to have two billion dollars.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

All NBA owners are now licking their chops because if the Clippers, a pee-poor team at best over the years, are worth 2B What does that make the Celtics or the Knicks worth. NBA owners need to be watching their backs.


The OP poster is a racist, that's why.

Rise up, Walter, rise up! End the long oppression of your people! To arms! To arms!

No? OK.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Rise up, Walter, rise up! End the long oppression of your people! To arms! To arms!

No? OK.

You think the colour of the owner's skin matters? Would you rather have an affirmative action marketplace? You would like to sell your BMW but must sell it to a black woman for 1/2 its value because there are too many white men driving BMWs.

The colour of the new owner's skin is irrelevant. But since it is being brought up, the OP must be thinking along racial lines.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

You think the colour of the owner's skin matters? Would you rather have an affirmative action marketplace? You would like to sell your BMW but must sell it to a black woman for 1/2 its value because there are too many white men driving BMWs.

Umm. . . where in the post you quote did I say one word about the owner's skin?

Quote:

The colour of the new owner's skin is irrelevant. But since it is being brought up, the OP must be thinking along racial lines.

Yes, I'm sure you'd much rather believe the issue of race is done and dusted in the U.S. and Canada.

I hope this helps you clarify, because most of your observations seemed to be directed at something going round in your head rather than in my post.
 
coldstream
#18
Sterling would be a fool not to take the offer.

It's at least twice what the most generous evaluation of the net worth of Clippers would appraise. It's 4 times the price of the last NBA transfer at $550M for the Milwaukee Bucks, this year. It is 6 times the price paid for the Seattle Sonics in 2006 at $350M (for which Ballmer also bid).

There is no way to justify this run up in prices.. EXCEPT you have this emergence of a class of Super Rich.. grotesquely wealthy individuals who have cashed in on stock options and IPOs on a vastly inflated equities market. On which they are taxed at a fraction of the rate applied to honest labour.. as the 'Free' Market dictates.

Having lost all sense of the value of money, in fact, having more that they know what to do with.. they spend their billions on toys... while the rest of the population struggles with foreclosure, unemployment or underemployment, poverty and desperation that this economic model has imposed on everyone else.

We've essentially seen the establishment of 2 economies.. one for people like Ballmer and Sterling.. and one for everyone else.
Last edited by coldstream; May 31st, 2014 at 01:45 PM..
 
BornRuff
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstreamView Post

Sterling would be a fool not to take the offer.

It's at least twice what the most generous evaluation of the net worth of Clippers would appraise. It's 4 times the price of the last NBA transfer at $550M for the Milwaukee Bucks, this year. It is 6 times the price paid for the Seattle Sonics in 2006 at $350M (for which Ballmer also bid).

I think that this whole incident pumped up the value. All of a sudden you had all of these rich guys dreaming of riding in on a white horse and being the team's saviour. It would have bid up the value a lot more than if it had been done in the normal fashion.

Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

What does the colour of his skin matter?

You tell me. You seem to have lots of theories on that in your other threads about what is destroying the UK.
 
gopher
+2
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

I did hear reports that he was declared unable to make decisions around this, but I don't know how accurate those are. Apparently he is fighting that.

Regardless, if he isn't fit to run the team, he shouldn't run the team. The league approved him as the owner, not his family. If he isn't fit to run the team, they are more than within their rights to move on to the next best person. Selling the team for 2 billion certainly isn't the worst punishment in the world.


The league could just as easily have mandated that he transfer title to his wife or offspring. This way the family legacy could have remained intact. It is sad that a lifelong legacy of public beneficence should be destroyed by unwise words made by someone who lacked the mental capacity to understand the harm he was causing. Well, whatever. The league has made its choice and we will all have to live with it.
 
BornRuff
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

The league could just as easily have mandated that he transfer title to his wife or offspring. This way the family legacy could have remained intact. It is sad that a lifelong legacy of public beneficence should be destroyed by unwise words made by someone who lacked the mental capacity to understand the harm he was causing. Well, whatever. The league has made its choice and we will all have to live with it.

The simple fact is that the league never approved his family as owners. They approved him. If he can't function as owner, his family doesn't have any more right to take over than anyone else.

His legacy of "public beneficence" is pretty questionable as is though.
 
Walter
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

His legacy of "public beneficence" is pretty questionable as is though.

Then why did the NAALCP give him awards?
 
BornRuff
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Then why did the NAALCP give him awards?

Money.
 
Walter
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

Money.

And that's the same reason he's been kicked out. Follow the money.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

Money.

So your assertion is that organization is corrupt?
 
Walter
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

So your assertion is that organization is corrupt?

No. It's looking out for its own interests.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

So your assertion is that organization is corrupt?

What's corrupt about a profit-seeking entity (the NBA) taking steps to minimise money-losing behaviour and people and maximise money-earning behaviour and people?
 
captain morgan
+1
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

What's corrupt about a profit-seeking entity (the NBA) taking steps to minimise money-losing behaviour and people and maximise money-earning behaviour and people?

That argument could easily be applied to many of the players that find themselves in negative public light.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

That argument could easily be applied to many of the players that find themselves in negative public light.

Ya think?
 
captain morgan
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Ya think?

Based on the unilateral and heavy-handed reprisals against buddy as compared to the slew of player mistakes that don't realize a comparable reaction?... Then, no, I don't think so
 

Similar Threads

4
Pirate Bay sold
by DurkaDurka | Jul 22nd, 2009
9
Sold!
by karrie | Apr 7th, 2007
0
Penguins sold to RIM exec
by CBC News | Oct 5th, 2006
no new posts