Is it time to increase speed limits?

#juan
Is it time to increase speed limits on our highways? A lot of people want to increase speed limits in Ontario to 130 kph on major highways....Hell, people are driving that fast anyway.

Is it time to increase maximum speed limits? - The Globe and Mail

Kreskin
Yes. On the inland island highway I don't mind 110 but slowing to 90 every 5 minutes is ridiculous.

We just came back from a US road trip. I sure like what some of the States do. Reasonable speed limits. Not many people speeding because the speed is correct. In Canada no one goes the speed limits because the limits are almost always too slow.

petros
+1
Nope. No thanks it's already too expensive for insurance.

#juan
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Nope. No thanks it's already too expensive for insurance.

Don't get your reasoning petros. If you are driving at the speed limit, the insurance people have no say in the matter.

petros
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Don't get your reasoning petros. If you are driving at the speed limit, the insurance people have no say in the matter.

Newton's First Law explains everything Juan.

#juan

Newton's First Law explains everything Juan.

There are reasons to keep the speed limits low, but insurance costs are not among them. Presumably, driving at the new speed limits is perfectly legal and the insurance companies have nothing to say about it..

lone wolf
What? And endanger a cash cow?

petros
+1

There are reasons to keep the speed limits low, but insurance costs are not among them. Presumably, driving at the new speed limits is perfectly legal and the insurance companies have nothing to say about it..

Crashes and injuries increase exponentially with every km/h.

Insurance costs are part of what holds super efficient vehicles at bay.

Efficiency = horsepower = Newtons 1st Law

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

What? And endanger a cash cow?

Yes but Newton's first law is not broken:

According to Newton's first law...

An object at rest will remain at rest unless acted on by an unbalanced force. An object in motion continues in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. This law is often called
"the law of inertia".

JLM
Nope- reduce them and give drivers a one year driving suspension for tail gating!

Crashes and injuries increase exponentially with every km/h.

It all ties in with this hare brained scheme of turning the clocks ahead. People are always thinking it's later than what it is and hence the propensity to speed and tail gate.

petros

Yes but Newton's first law is not broken:

According to Newton's first law...

An object at rest will remain at rest unless acted on by an unbalanced force. An object in motion continues in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. This law is often called
"the law of inertia".

Speed and mass are all part of the equation.

lone wolf
+1
Most of that unbalanced force is bulletproof people in not-so-bulletproof vehicles who continually make attempts to break Mach 1 on crowded highways. I suppose the reduction in hospital costs in increased death counts would more than compensate for the Province's losses in speeder revenues

petros
Bullets are a perfect example of speed and mass at work causing lots of damage for the small mass they are.

#juan
It has been determined that driving at, or close to the speed of the traffic is safer than driving faster or slower than the traffic. I've found from personal experience, that 120 kph is closer to the speed of the bulk of the traffic than 100kph.

JLM

Is it time to increase speed limits on our highways? A lot of people want to increase speed limits in Ontario to 130 kph on major highways....Hell, people are driving that fast anyway.

Is it time to increase maximum speed limits? - The Globe and Mail

Time to install governors on all vehicles. 80 kmh is the ideal speed given that most people nowadays don't know how to drive properly anyway. It makes me cringe every time I see a vehicle overtaking at a high rate of speed a parked vehicle in the adjacent lane. Do they never consider the possibility of a small child crossing in front of the parked vehicle? Imbeciles!!! I see this practically every day.

petros

It has been determined that driving at, or close to the speed of the traffic is safer than driving faster or slower than the traffic. I've found from personal experience, that 120 kph is closer to the speed of the bulk of the traffic than 100kph.

Speed limits don't alter Newton's first.

How much is braking distance increased per 5 km/h?

JLM
+1
Another no-no is people who are waiting to make a turn across traffic and cramp the wheel for the turn seconds BEFORE making the turn.

Speed limits don't alter Newton's first.

How much is braking distance increased per 5 km/h?

Proportional to the square!

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Time to install governors on all vehicles. 80 kmh is the ideal speed given that most people nowadays don't know how to drive properly anyway. It makes me cringe every time I see a vehicle overtaking at a high rate of speed a parked vehicle in the adjacent lane. Do they never consider the possibility of a small child crossing in front of the parked vehicle? Imbeciles!!! I see this practically every day.

I don't think governors would do anything but frustrate drivers and cause more problems than they would solve.

JLM

I don't think governors would do anything but frustrate drivers and cause more problems than they would solve.

What's the necessity for all this speed? For some commercial vehicles such as freight trucks I can see it. For the rest of us just leave home 10 minutes earlier. I've seen idiots risk their lives, my life and other motorists lives in a big rush to pass everyone and then a mile up the road they turn in to their driveway.

petros
+1
You can only go as fast as the guy ahead of you.

mentalfloss
Go with the flow and you should be fine.

A limit increase really isn't necessary.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

What's the necessity for all this speed? For some commercial vehicles such as freight trucks I can see it. For the rest of us just leave home 10 minutes earlier. I've seen idiots risk their lives, my life and other motorists lives in a big rush to pass everyone and then a mile up the road they turn in to their driveway.

The speed of the bulk of the traffic is determined to some extent by how fast people want to go. Back in the sixties speed limit on major highways was seventy mph. Since then cars have been made safer, brakes have been improved, tires have been improved, suspensions have been improved, and now you want to lower the speed limit to less than it was fifty years ago. On the German Autobahns there is no speed limit to speak of and they are safer than our highways.

petros
Are the bulk aware of Newton? If it's icy and the sign says 130 km/h can you go 130km/h or are you limited to what Newton's law allows?

The bulk ain't bright enough.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Go with the flow and you should be fine.

A limit increase really isn't necessary.

In Ontario most people are already driving close to 120kph on major highways. Speed limits make cash cows for the insurance companies.since they want to increase your insurance rates for every ticket you get.

petros
+1
Speed limits keep people from tooling off into the rhubarb.

#juan

Are the bulk aware of Newton? If it's icy and the sign says 130 km/h can you go 130km/h or are you limited to what Newton's law allows?

The bulk ain't bright enough.

On dry roads 130kph may be completely reasonable whereas on icy roads 40kph might not be safe......You are still required to use the old grey matter.

mentalfloss

In Ontario most people are already driving close to 120kph on major highways. Speed limits make cash cows for the insurance companies.since they want to increase your insurance rates for every ticket you get.

I think it's fair that you get ticketed if you are on your own or going against the flow of traffic. Increasing the speed limit will just cause a greater variance between slow and fast vehicles and that would increase the chance of an accident.

What is better for traffic and safer for everyone is if there is less variation in speed between vehicles.

petros
Do you really believe the bulk will drive within the limits of conditions or will they go the God given right to 10km/h above the limit while drinking hohos?

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

I think it's fair that you get ticketed if you are on your own or going against the flow of traffic. Increasing the speed limit will just cause a greater variance between slow and fast vehicles and that would increase the chance of an accident.

What is better for traffic and safer for everyone is if there is less variation in speed between vehicles.

Two years ago I drove out of the Toronto airport heading for Soux Saint Marie. I was driving on the middle lane and I had traffic flying by on both sides, honking and flashing lights and I was doing a hundred and ten kph. I speeded up to 120 kph and most of the problems went away.

mentalfloss

Do you really believe the bulk will drive within the limits of conditions or will they go the God given right to 10km/h above the limit while drinking hohos?

I don't believe I states what I believe the public will do without any change to the status quo.

Two years ago I drove out of the Toronto airport heading for Soux Saint Marie. I was driving on the middle lane and I had traffic flying by on both sides, honking and flashing lights and I was doing a hundred and ten kph. I speeded up to 120 kph and most of the problems went away.

Well there you go.

Problem solved.

no new posts