Is it time to increase speed limits?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Yes. On the inland island highway I don't mind 110 but slowing to 90 every 5 minutes is ridiculous.

We just came back from a US road trip. I sure like what some of the States do. Reasonable speed limits. Not many people speeding because the speed is correct. In Canada no one goes the speed limits because the limits are almost always too slow.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Nope. No thanks it's already too expensive for insurance.

Don't get your reasoning petros. If you are driving at the speed limit, the insurance people have no say in the matter.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Don't get your reasoning petros. If you are driving at the speed limit, the insurance people have no say in the matter.
Newton's First Law explains everything Juan.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Newton's First Law explains everything Juan.

There are reasons to keep the speed limits low, but insurance costs are not among them. Presumably, driving at the new speed limits is perfectly legal and the insurance companies have nothing to say about it..

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There are reasons to keep the speed limits low, but insurance costs are not among them. Presumably, driving at the new speed limits is perfectly legal and the insurance companies have nothing to say about it..

Crashes and injuries increase exponentially with every km/h.

Insurance costs are part of what holds super efficient vehicles at bay.

Efficiency = horsepower = Newtons 1st Law

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
What? And endanger a cash cow?

Yes but Newton's first law is not broken:

According to Newton's first law...

An object at rest will remain at rest unless acted on by an unbalanced force. An object in motion continues in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. This law is often called
"the law of inertia".

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Nope- reduce them and give drivers a one year driving suspension for tail gating!

Crashes and injuries increase exponentially with every km/h.

It all ties in with this hare brained scheme of turning the clocks ahead. People are always thinking it's later than what it is and hence the propensity to speed and tail gate.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yes but Newton's first law is not broken:

According to Newton's first law...

An object at rest will remain at rest unless acted on by an unbalanced force. An object in motion continues in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. This law is often called
"the law of inertia".

Speed and mass are all part of the equation.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Most of that unbalanced force is bulletproof people in not-so-bulletproof vehicles who continually make attempts to break Mach 1 on crowded highways. I suppose the reduction in hospital costs in increased death counts would more than compensate for the Province's losses in speeder revenues

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It has been determined that driving at, or close to the speed of the traffic is safer than driving faster or slower than the traffic. I've found from personal experience, that 120 kph is closer to the speed of the bulk of the traffic than 100kph.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Is it time to increase speed limits on our highways? A lot of people want to increase speed limits in Ontario to 130 kph on major highways....Hell, people are driving that fast anyway.

Is it time to increase maximum speed limits? - The Globe and Mail

Time to install governors on all vehicles. 80 kmh is the ideal speed given that most people nowadays don't know how to drive properly anyway. It makes me cringe every time I see a vehicle overtaking at a high rate of speed a parked vehicle in the adjacent lane. Do they never consider the possibility of a small child crossing in front of the parked vehicle? Imbeciles!!! I see this practically every day.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It has been determined that driving at, or close to the speed of the traffic is safer than driving faster or slower than the traffic. I've found from personal experience, that 120 kph is closer to the speed of the bulk of the traffic than 100kph.

Speed limits don't alter Newton's first.

How much is braking distance increased per 5 km/h?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Another no-no is people who are waiting to make a turn across traffic and cramp the wheel for the turn seconds BEFORE making the turn.

Speed limits don't alter Newton's first.

How much is braking distance increased per 5 km/h?

Proportional to the square!

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Time to install governors on all vehicles. 80 kmh is the ideal speed given that most people nowadays don't know how to drive properly anyway. It makes me cringe every time I see a vehicle overtaking at a high rate of speed a parked vehicle in the adjacent lane. Do they never consider the possibility of a small child crossing in front of the parked vehicle? Imbeciles!!! I see this practically every day.

I don't think governors would do anything but frustrate drivers and cause more problems than they would solve.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I don't think governors would do anything but frustrate drivers and cause more problems than they would solve.

What's the necessity for all this speed? For some commercial vehicles such as freight trucks I can see it. For the rest of us just leave home 10 minutes earlier. I've seen idiots risk their lives, my life and other motorists lives in a big rush to pass everyone and then a mile up the road they turn in to their driveway.