Moussa Sidimé gets 60 days in slapping death of daughter

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
that'll teach him boy oh boy...Allahu Akbar

Moussa Sidimé, a Longueuil, Que., man who pleaded guilty in the 2010 death of his teenage daughter, was sentenced today to 60 more days in jail and then probation of two years.

Sidimé will not have to serve the 60 days consecutively, meaning he could choose to serve on weekends.

He has already served 19 days.

Sidimé, 74, pleaded guilty to manslaughter after slapping his 13-year-old, Nouténé, so hard that an artery in her brain ruptured.

According to testimony in his 2011 preliminary hearing, Sidimé slapped his teenage daughter twice for not doing a chore in the manner he had instructed.

Sidimé called 911, but first responders found the girl unconscious on the floor and bleeding from her nose. She died in hospital a few days later.

The defence had asked for a suspended sentence with probation.

His remaining children said putting their father behind bars would be doing the family more harm than good.

A criminologist who took the stand agreed, noting Sidimé had no recorded history of violence.

Moussa Sidimé gets 60 days in slapping death of daughter - Montreal - CBC News

background

Religion and Child Abuse News: Canadian girl pressured to pray dies after being slapped in the face, father arrested for aggravated assault

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
A criminologist who took the stand agreed, noting Sidimé had no recorded history of violence.

:roll:

that's okay then, lets wait until he kills the next one

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The slap was hard enough to cause a rupture but not hard enough to leave a mark?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Lets dissect this a little little with justice vengeance fact and emotion.
First question How many here have had a child die? seriously how
many? I have and its the most terrible feeling in the world.
Moving on.
No he didn't get enough time behind bars. Perhaps in this case behind
bars was not the place to be. I would think if he were really a bad person
the other children would have been happy to have him behind bars.
We are all responsible for our action that is true, however there is no minimum
for Manslaughter and the reason is this. First there was never an intent to kill
a person that is why its defined as manslaughter. Every case is as different as
the set of circumstances that caused the death.
The fact that no marks were on the girl is testament to the fact the father was
frustrated and upset but he was not intending to do serious damage to the child.
I for one do not believing in hitting a child period. With my kids I can remember
every spanking I gave for two reasons. One the child was engaged in serious
behavior that could have injured themselves at a young age. Secondly there were
so few I can count them on one hand. There are more creative ways to punish a
child that hitting them. None of our children or grandchildren have been in a court
room and the ones who are old enough all have jobs or trades.
This father is left with the feeling he killed his daughter. What the hell could be a
worse punishment? He didn't mean to kill his daughter the law also determined that.
So what other punishment is worse? I didn't kill my daughter she died a crib death
and I still think about that day every week at some point or another wondering what might
have been.
This guy knows he started the events that led to her death although it was the furthest
thing from his mind.
In so many cases we have a situation where there is an honor killing or vengeance or
some other mean spirited act. This was a discipline matter that went wrong it was
excessive but not mean spirited and I think there are other ways to make this a better
situation than prison. He could have been given the task of working within his community
to truly integrate his communities culture into the Canadian Culture.
Even more perhaps the man should be somewhat forgiven slightly longer in prison perhaps
with some counseling and support
Giving him sixty years is counter productive, not even his dead daughter would want that.
The sentence of a court must be about Justice not Revenge

QuebecCanadian

Electoral Member
Apr 13, 2014
The slap was hard enough to cause a rupture but not hard enough to leave a mark?
His lawyer spoke on the radio today. Doctors testified that it could have been the motion directly from the slap or it could have been the motion of resisting/avoiding the slap. With testimony from other children in his family I tend to agree with grumpy. He will live with having been responsible for his child's death. That is the harshest punishment!

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
His lawyer spoke on the radio today. Doctors testified that it could have been the motion directly from the slap or it could have been the motion of resisting/avoiding the slap. With testimony from other children in his family I tend to agree with grumpy. He will live with having been responsible for his child's death. That is the harshest punishment!
Yup the testimony of the other children that are either indoctrinated or scared sh--less that really counts .

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Actually if I thought this were a case of blatant killing a child cause they didn't obey
I would say give them life or the death penalty if available. Such was not the case
here. I know of a lot of parents who hit their teenage kid who was misbehaving
It could have been anyone of them who suffered the same fate. I don't believe hitting
anyone is the answer let alone a child but you have to put this in context. I think the
kids here were not frightened to say anything. This would be the chance to rid themselves
of a problem and get even if they were inclined to do that. This family will suffer forever
Losing a child is one thing losing a child under this circumstance will effect the entire
family for a lifetime they never will get over it.
I have a brother who was run over by a drunk driver. It had negative ramifications on our
family for as long as my parents were alive. It also have an effect on my sister and I.
People can so easily paint the situation into their own vision of the world but the reality is
never in the frame of such a painting.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Yup the testimony of the other children that are either indoctrinated or scared sh--less that really counts .

Yes, that must be it... great assumption.

The OP is contradicting in links and information.

The posted details says: "Sidimé slapped his teenage daughter twice for not doing a chore in the manner he had instructed."

Then the bottom link is titled: "Canadian girl pressured to pray dies after being slapped in the face."

So which was it? I'd rely more on the recorded testimony than some blog link. The report they linked has quoted "Neighbors" making their own claims & assumptions from a distance away and more than likely not in any visible view of what actually happened.

Regardless of the reasons, her death was obviously not intentional as a slap isn't ever intended as a means to kill someone.

I grew up in a Roman Catholic household in the 80's with a father who was an "Old School" teacher and formerly served in the military.... and got a hell of a lot more than just a slap for many things, including my reluctance of doing churchy stuff.

I do not approve of the beating of a child over such things (with the exception of them almost killing themselves for doing something stupid and not listening).... but this is a simple case of a situation that went horribly wrong, there was no intent to kill or cause serious harm and it's being blown out of proportion because of their religious background.

Actually if I thought this were a case of blatant killing a child cause they didn't obey
I would say give them life or the death penalty if available. Such was not the case
here. I know of a lot of parents who hit their teenage kid who was misbehaving
It could have been anyone of them who suffered the same fate. I don't believe hitting
anyone is the answer let alone a child but you have to put this in context. I think the
kids here were not frightened to say anything. This would be the chance to rid themselves
of a problem and get even if they were inclined to do that. This family will suffer forever
Losing a child is one thing losing a child under this circumstance will effect the entire
family for a lifetime they never will get over it.
I have a brother who was run over by a drunk driver. It had negative ramifications on our
family for as long as my parents were alive. It also have an effect on my sister and I.
People can so easily paint the situation into their own vision of the world but the reality is
never in the frame of such a painting.

Agreed.... the real opinions that matter in this situation are the family's. If they feel justice has been fair, then so be it.

If the children and wife truly feared the father/husband, they would be so scared sh*tless of him that they (including the now dead daughter) wouldn't continually fight and argue with him as much as described. Differing views and teenage kids who clash with their parents expectations happens all the time, and yelling and screaming are common things.

And that he doesn't have any other recorded history of violence would say to us all that the situation is NOT what others in here would like to portray it as.

In the second link, the "Neighbor" claims the daughter was "Quieter" in the last two years.

What exactly does that mean?

So two years before she was more happy and cheery..... so that was when she was 11 years old. And suddenly her mood changed when she became a teenager?

REALLY??

I never knew that was such a rare occurrence..... I only thought that just happened to my sister and cousins and my wife and all the girls I knew in school and just thought they were all just a freak coincidence.

Geez.

Besides:

"children that are either indoctrinated or scared sh--less"

There are generally four situations:

#1 - You follow and believe what your parents believe (Indoctrinated) which the majority of members in here fall under.

#2 - You don't and are in constant conflict with your parents yet do as they do because you're (Scared Sh*tless)

#3 - You don't, do whatever you damn well please, shove a finger at your parents and your parents are p*ssies who let you get away with it, leading to you being some mass school shooter because "Mommy and Daddy didn't love me enough and I never got enough discipline"

#4 - You have decently open (to a point) parents who will teach and pass on what they know to you and allow you to make your own informed decisions on a number of things in life and there is mutual respect between everybody.

Unfortunately, the first three are a hell of a lot more common than the fourth, regardless of whatever religion is playing in the background.

Last edited:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I am so sick and tired of the lack of justice that is given in Canada. Criminals are given weak sentences and the victims (the ones still alive, that is) are left wondering what they did wrong to deserve such a slap in the face (NO pun intended at all).