Storify: Blast of spring snow blankets Calgary

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Residents in Calgary and southwestern Alberta woke up on Saturday to a winter wonderland after approximately 20 centimetres of snow blanketed the city in a period of about 24 hours.

The unexpected snowfall prompted groans across the city as Calgarians traded in their spring gear for snow boots.

Some, however, chose to greet the dump of snow with a sense of humour.

source: Storify: Blast of spring snow blankets Calgary | CTV News

That'll get your nipple hard.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
And I'm whining because we are only at 9° with 25k winds.

*sigh*

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm very familiar with the cold. It's not that bad. You can dress for the cold but not the heat. I'm happiest at 10C. Just right for doing almost anything.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I'm very familiar with the cold. It's not that bad. You can dress for the cold but not the heat. I'm happiest at 10C. Just right for doing almost anything.
I like 20° I could live happily in that.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Residents in Calgary and southwestern Alberta woke up on Saturday to a winter wonderland after approximately 20 centimetres of snow blanketed the city in a period of about 24 hours.

The unexpected snowfall prompted groans across the city as Calgarians traded in their spring gear for snow boots.

Some, however, chose to greet the dump of snow with a sense of humour.

source: Storify: Blast of spring snow blankets Calgary | CTV News

That'll get your nipple hard.

That's Calgary for you and by mid afternoon they could be sweltering in 30C heat.

You undress for the heat, Petros!

Global warming.

Don't think they'll be 'selling' that line of bullsh*t much longer, Petros! -:)

this is the coldest winter and spring I ever remember and weather doesn't affect me one bit...but it's starting to

Yeah, it's kind of dragged on out here in the West too, Sal, but I guess one thing we have to be thankful for here is we don't suffer from the humidity too often. Hang in there, improvement is on the way!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Yeah, it's kind of dragged on out here in the West too, Sal, but I guess one thing we have to be thankful for here is we don't suffer from the humidity too often. Hang in there, improvement is on the way!
I don't mind if we even get just a day of sun and warmth here or there but with 25k winds it's miserable :(

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
That's Calgary for you and by mid afternoon they could be sweltering in 30C heat.

Have never in the 13 years I have lived here had that big a temp swing.

Don't think they'll be 'selling' that line of bullsh*t much longer, Petros! -:)

Riiiiight, because global warming is ONLY about temperature rises. :roll:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
In Kelowna we have green grass and rain the apple blossoms are coming out and the
Cherries and soft fruit has already had bloom and the season has begun
Raining today but its nice compared to the snow crowd glad I'm not there

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Maybe not right in Calgary, Ger, but within short driving distance, so you can climb down off your high f**kin' horse -:)

Chinook Arch Alberta

Both examples you have given don't show a temp rise to 30c. The highest was 22c. This I have seen since living here. You weren't talking about temp difference and neither was I. So get off your high horse and maybe learn to be more articulate and exact when you post.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Both examples you have given don't show a temp rise to 30c. The highest was 22c. This I have seen since living here. You weren't talking about temp difference and neither was I. So get off your high horse and maybe learn to be more articulate and exact when you post.

Last spring here in Edson we went from -4 at 5am when I went to work to +27 by late afternoon.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Those were just two examples, Nick has just provided a better one, so call me a liar over 8C. -:) Also it's quite possible there are bigger extremes where there are no thermometers. On a day like today you should be out repairing furnaces. -:)

Love snow! Seven months of winter is five months short.

Good, I have about 5 months right here I can give you!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Those were just two examples, Nick has just provided a better one, so call me a liar over 8C. -:) Also it's quite possible there are bigger extremes where there are no thermometers. On a day like today you should be out repairing furnaces. -:)

again, do try to be more articulate and clear in your posting. By "extremes" do you mean "differences"? As in temperature differences like nick posted? If you did, then yes, there are places with larger temperature differences during the day. Even that though, should be clarified and quantified. When talking about temp differences throughout the day are you talking about overall difference between early morning and late afternoon? Largest increase in a 1 hour period? A shorter period? Come on jlm, why be so vague?