Will we ever know what happened??

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It now looks like they are finding debris miles from where it should be. Will we ever know why there was no radio contact with that Malaysian airlner. Is there any reasonable explanation why the airplane is many hundreds of miles off course? If they find the black boxes there might be a clue. Any ideas?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
At first I thought hypoxia. Now I have no idea.

I bet they will find the black boxes.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
yup we will know but later rather than sooner...this whole thing is just so messed

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
At first I thought hypoxia. Now I have no idea.

I bet they will find the black boxes.

Hypoxia might just be a good answer. My guess is that at least half, probably most passengers, would have a cell phone. Unconsciousness, is the only thing that would keep those people from phoning anyone they could. If they find bodies, they could tell if they died from oxygen starvation. What is the range of a cell phone?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
CVR maybe. FDR is usually aft. Tail survives impact better

Do the not send a signal for a period of time?
Updated
http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...potted-two-objects-only-hours-earlier-monday/

The ocean depth in the search area ranges between 1,150 and 7,000 metres and the U.S. Pacific command said it was sending a black box locator in case a debris field is located.

The Towed Pinger Locator, which is pulled behind a vessel at slow speeds, has highly sensitive listening capability so that if the wreck site is located, it can hear the black box “pinger” down to a depth of about 20,000 feet, Cmdr. Chris Budde, a U.S. Seventh Fleet operations officer, said in a statement.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
So it crashed in the ocean. Didnt see that one coming. :p

I imagine the black box may be difficult or even impossible to find. The ocean in that area is several miles deep and they still dont know exactly where it went down.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
So it crashed in the ocean. Didnt see that one coming. :p

I imagine the black box may be difficult or even impossible to find. The ocean in that area is several miles deep and they still dont know exactly where it went down.

NOAA Ocean Explorer: Technology: Submersibles

Malaysia PM: Missing jet crashed into Indian Ocean | The Times of Israel
Satellite images and data released by Australia, China and France in recent days have identified possible debris in the area that may be linked to the disappearance of the plane on March 8 with 239 people on board — two-thirds of them Chinese.

The ocean depth in the search area ranges between 1,150 meters (3,770 feet) and 7,000 meters (23,000 feet), and the US Pacific Command said it was sending a black box locator in case a debris field is located.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
How many threads are there?

As near as I can tell there are two threads and I started both of them. When I first signed on this am I couldn't find the thread so I started another....sorry. Getting back to the topic......The only way I can see that will find out what happened is if they find the CVR and the FDR. Without them we'll never know.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Hypoxia might just be a good answer. My guess is that at least half, probably most passengers, would have a cell phone. Unconsciousness, is the only thing that would keep those people from phoning anyone they could. If they find bodies, they could tell if they died from oxygen starvation. What is the range of a cell phone?

Depends on how many towers are floating in the middle of the ocean.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
NOAA Ocean Explorer: Technology: Submersibles

Malaysia PM: Missing jet crashed into Indian Ocean | The Times of Israel
Satellite images and data released by Australia, China and France in recent days have identified possible debris in the area that may be linked to the disappearance of the plane on March 8 with 239 people on board — two-thirds of them Chinese.

The ocean depth in the search area ranges between 1,150 meters (3,770 feet) and 7,000 meters (23,000 feet), and the US Pacific Command said it was sending a black box locator in case a debris field is located.

Ah I didnt know there was such a thing as a "black box locator." Makes sense. Hopefully it survived. It'll still be a long and difficult search unless they get lucky.

It's way too fishy to have an end like this.

It disappeared over the ocean and they are now saying its in the ocean. That doesnt seem like much of a stretch to me.