Royal Navy unveils mini submarine for covert SBS missions


Blackleaf
#1
The Royal Navy's newest submarine - a miniature sub which can launch underwater that James Bond would be proud of - has been spotted moored off Gibraltar.

The submarine is intended to launch underwater in order to carry Special Boat Service (SBS) commandos to their destinations covertly so they can perform attacks or infiltration near the water.

Attached to a large nuclear sub, the mini pod can carry up to around eight elite commandos in heavy assault gear and is designed to be as stealthy as possible.

The pod can be seen attached to the topside of the nuclear submarine, HMS Astute, currently off the coast of Gibraltar on her maiden operational mission.

HMS Astute is the lead boat in the new Astute-class submarines, the largest and most powerful submarines ever operated by the Royal Navy.

More than 39,000 external acoustic tiles mask the vessels' sonar signatures, giving the Astute-class a better stealth quality than any other submarine previously operated. Speculation released by the media stated that by using advanced stealth technology Astute "makes less noise than a baby dolphin, making her as good as undetectable by enemy ships."

Britain's super-sub: Navy unveils James Bond-style mini submarine carried on board HMS Astute which can launch from under water


Attached to the HMS Astute, the mini pod can carry up eight commandos

Designed to be as stealthy for covert ops, like counter intelligence

Can launch underwater to carry commandos to their destinations covertly

Currently the mini sub is attached to the HMS Astute, docked in Gibraltar

By Luke Garratt (external - login to view)
23 March 2014
Daily Mail




The logo of the SBS

The Royal Navy's newest submarine - a miniature sub which can launch underwater that James Bond would be proud of - has been spotted moored off of Gibraltar.

The submarine is intended to launch underwater in order to carry commandos to their destinations covertly so they can perform attacks or infiltration near the water.

Attached to a large nuclear sub, the mini pod can carry up to around eight elite commandos in heavy assault gear and is designed to be as stealthy as possible.

The miniature submarine atop HMS Astute, as manufacturers look on at its installation on the River Clyde

The pod can be seen attached to the topside of the nuclear submarine, the HMS Astute, currently off the coast of Gibraltar.

In a covert attack, the secret submarine pod will detach from the HMS Astute and head to its destination, absorbing sonar on the way to evade detection.

The pod will be in use by Special Boat Service commandos in their covert operations, and the miniature submarine will likely make their activities hard to predict or anticipate.



HMS Astute, one of the Royal Navy's new Astute-class nuclear powered submarines, lays at dock in Gibraltar on her maiden operational mission


The mini-sub opening its deployment hatch, where the commandos will leave from during their covert operations



Covert: Photo of an SBS operator mingling with Northern Alliance fighters during operations at Qala-I-Janghi, Afghanistan, 2001


Before it was mounted to the top of the HMS Astute, the miniature submarine had to be airlifted by helicopter to seas near its destination, before being picked up later.

Now the submarine will move closer to the destination, and plans for deployment and support for the commandos will be more readily available.

The miniature submarine, codenamed 'Project Chalfont', has been tested since it was installed in 2012, but this is the first time it will reach active service.

The miniature covert submarine is designed to be as stealthy as possible, and even comes with the ability to absorb sonar to avoid detection

The HMS Astute is the largest attack submarine the Royal Navy has at its disposal, and is the lead ship of its class.

Thanks to air recycling it could theoretically circumnavigate the planet without having to resurface, and its nuclear power system means it will never have to refuel again during its 25-year-service.

However, its only limit is that it is only able to carry three months worth of food for the 98 crew needed to man it.

The miniature submarine's main duties are for counter intelligence, as it allows for incredibly covert ops from discreet locations, and will now be able to deploy while hidden underwater, rather than having to travel by helicopter, which runs the risk of revealing its position.


Last edited by Blackleaf; Mar 23rd, 2014 at 07:26 AM..
 
lone wolf
#2
I bet the pod doesn't do much for mothership's stealth capabality
 
Blackleaf
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

I bet the pod doesn't do much for mothership's stealth capabality

Yeah. Because the people who operate the stealthy Astute-class submarines are going to be so moronically thick as to stick something so unstealthy onto the back of one of them.

Why don't you read the article carefully before commenting?

These mini submarines, which attach themselves to larger submarines, were first developed by the British during WWII. The Royal Marines' SBS have three of these, and the US Navy SEALS have one.

HMS Astute has been fitted with an underwater dock from which Special Boat Service (SBS) commandos could launch midget submarines to carry out covert missions.

Developed under a secret programme known as Project Chalfont, the dock is a portable fixture that can be fitted to whichever of the Astute fleet is heading towards a crisis zone where it may be required.

The SBS currently launch their midget submarines from surface warships or helicopters, risking discovery. The new launch dock, which remains closed during approach and opens only when the midget submarines launch, could enable them to approach undetected to intercept pirate boards or raid terrorist bases.
 
darkbeaver
#4
You're passing propaganda disinformation these structures you claim to be submarines are clearly made of cardboard. If you look closely at the waterline in pic #42b6767 you can see the material turning to sludge. Isn't it true the Royal Navy is bankrupt?
 
Blackleaf
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

Isn't it true the Royal Navy is bankrupt?

No. Britain has the world's fourth largest defence budget.
 
Nuggler
+1
#6
If they're anything like the subs the thuggy Brits sold us, we should get Tealeaf to try them out.

Removing the hatch first, of course
 
Locutus
#7
Cute little toy.
 
lone wolf
+1
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

Yeah. Because the people who operate the stealthy Astute-class submarines are going to be so moronically thick as to stick something so unstealthy onto the back of one of them.

Why don't you read the article carefully before commenting?

These mini submarines, which attach themselves to larger submarines, were first developed by the British during WWII. The Royal Marines' SBS have three of these, and the US Navy SEALS have one.

HMS Astute has been fitted with an underwater dock from which Special Boat Service (SBS) commandos could launch midget submarines to carry out covert missions.

Developed under a secret programme known as Project Chalfont, the dock is a portable fixture that can be fitted to whichever of the Astute fleet is heading towards a crisis zone where it may be required.

The SBS currently launch their midget submarines from surface warships or helicopters, risking discovery. The new launch dock, which remains closed during approach and opens only when the midget submarines launch, could enable them to approach undetected to intercept pirate boards or raid terrorist bases.

Tough shyte...

If depicted is the Astute-class submarine, you will please note her dynamic shape - a shape designed to emit as little noise as possible in her passage. Then note the "oil tank" on her back which foils flow - creating noise. The test bed defeats the secret.

Stuff your snotty Brit attitude right up your tushie. If you were the Navy man you so often claim to be, with as many years as your 32 can spare from your greatness, you might understand a thing or two of flow mechanics

...or your sub's just more proof the only two things the Brits got right were the Austin Mini and the Merlin engine.
Last edited by lone wolf; Mar 23rd, 2014 at 09:11 AM..Reason: spellcheck and font
 
Nuggler
+1
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Cute little toy.


............"glub"..............
 
Blackleaf
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Tough shyte...

If depicted is the Astute-class submarine, you will please note her dynamic shape - a shape designed to emit as little noise as possible in her passage. Then note the "oil tank" on her back which foils flow - creating noise. The test bed defeats the secret.

The Astute-class submarines make less noise than a baby dolphin. That's what the experts have told us and that is who I believe. I believe them. I don't believe you, somebody who knows nothing whatsoever about the Astute-class submarines, or ANY submarines.

Quote:

Stuff your snotty Brit attitude right up your tushie. If you were the Navy man you so often claim to be, with as many years as your 32 can spare from your greatness, you might understand a thing or two of flow mechanics

...or your sub's just more proof the only two things the Brits got right were the Austin Mini and the Merlin engine.

The difference between the British and the Canadians is that the British build their own hi-tech submarines which are the best and most advanced in the world.

The Canadians buy old ones that have got a little bit dilapidated during their years of storage but never bother to check them thoroughly beforehand, and then try to act as though the British were at fault when you were at fault.
 
MHz
#11
With Russia's exclusive new harbor how many could the 'hide' in the Sea of Azov on the bottom that carry a cruise missile?

Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

The Canadians buy old ones that have got a little bit dilapidated during their years of storage but never bother to check them thoroughly beforehand, and then try to act as though the British were at fault when you were at fault.

Canada was pretty much told to stop developing war stuff when the Arrow program was cut. Perhaps we would have been the ones to build the sub that uses the technology that allows torpedoes to travel at 200MPH. Whole new tourist mode of transportation from James Bay to the closest Gulf in Russia would be about 20 hours, (not bad for a container ship either) to go 4,000 miles under the ice so no stormy weather at all.
 
petros
#12
They also have four man rubber ducks.
 
darkbeaver
+1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

The difference between the British and the Canadians is that the British build their own hi-tech submarines which are the best and most advanced in the world.

The Canadians buy old ones that have got a little bit dilapidated during their years of storage but never bother to check them thoroughly beforehand, and then try to act as though the British were at fault when you were at fault.

You are obviously here to trip us up into divulging details about Canada's secret weapons programs.
 
Goober
+2
#14  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

The Royal Navy's newest submarine - a miniature sub which can launch underwater that James Bond would be proud of - has been spotted moored off Gibraltar.
The submarine is intended to launch underwater in order to carry Special Boat Service (SBS) commandos to their destinations covertly so they can perform attacks or infiltration near the water.
Attached to a large nuclear sub, the mini pod can carry up to around eight elite commandos in heavy assault gear and is designed to be as stealthy as possible.
The pod can be seen attached to the topside of the nuclear submarine, HMS Astute, currently off the coast of Gibraltar on her maiden operational mission.
HMS Astute is the lead boat in the new Astute-class submarines, the largest and most powerful submarines ever...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
That is a first. I never knew the SBS had midgets in their ranks. Good for getting into small areas unnoticed I guess.
 
darkbeaver
#15
During the war harbours were filled with inflatable destroyers and frigates.
 
lone wolf
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

The Astute-class submarines make less noise than a baby dolphin. That's what the experts have told us and that is who I believe. I believe them. I don't believe you, somebody who knows nothing whatsoever about the Astute-class submarines, or ANY submarines.

Nope.... Nothing at all. I only spent a few years in flight looking for them
Quote:


The difference between the British and the Canadians is that the British build their own hi-tech submarines which are the best and most advanced in the world.

The Canadians buy old ones that have got a little bit dilapidated during their years of storage but never bother to check them thoroughly beforehand, and then try to act as though the British were at fault when you were at fault.

Read your own article. The sound that pod will make underwater could be picked up by a six-year-old with a Mister Microphone.

BL.... You consistently prove another of my grandfather's truths (my "lying" Brit grandfather BTW) that one can always tell an Englishman - but one can never tell him much.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000][B][SIZE=5][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]The Royal Navy's newest submarine - a miniature sub which can launch underwater that James Bond would be proud of - has been spotted moored off Gibraltar.

So, the UK is building its fictional navy to the desires of fictional characters?

Better consult Sherlock Holmes and Albus Dumbledore.
 
L Gilbert
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

No. Britain has the world's fourth largest defence budget.

Ah, so it's the navy's boss that's deep in the red ink. That's not news. I can't think of one country that's in the black.

Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

The difference between the British and the Canadians is that the British build their own hi-tech submarines which are the best and most advanced in the world.

Ah, sorry to burst your sensitive little ego, but Canadian companies have been building ROVs (deepsea diving craft) for quite a while now. And they are for purposes that advance humanity's knowledge rather than destroying stuff. It's a much more noble pursuit.

Quote:

The Canadians buy old ones that have got a little bit dilapidated during their years of storage but never bother to check them thoroughly beforehand, and then try to act as though the British were at fault when you were at fault.

lol If I want to sell one of my vehicles, I make sure its operable and clean first. Seems pretty boorish of you Brits to sell stuff without making sure its in working order and cleaned up. And there I was, thinking that the Brits had good manners. lol
 
Blackleaf
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Nope.... Nothing at all.

Thought so. You know nothing about the new Astute-class submarines. Nothing. Except that, despite being so big, they make less noise than a baby dolphin.

Quote:

Read your own article. The sound that pod will make underwater could be picked up by a six-year-old with a Mister Microphone.

I've looked at the article loads of times and I can see nothing in there that says these pods will be noisy.

But I have seen the bit of the article that says In a covert attack, the secret submarine pod will detach from the HMS Astute and head to its destination, absorbing sonar on the way to evade detection.

Quote:

that one can always tell an Englishman - but one can never tell him much.

You can't tell us much because we're an ingenious and inventive race.
 
lone wolf
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

Thought so. You know nothing about the new Astute-class submarines. Nothing. Except that, despite being so big, they make less noise than a baby dolphin.

Not with that pod.
Quote:




I've looked at the article loads of times and I can see nothing in there that says these pods will be noisy.

But I have seen the bit of the article that says In a covert attack, the secret submarine pod will detach from the HMS Astute and head to its destination, absorbing sonar on the way to evade detection.

Thought hadn't crossed their minds?

Next question would be how are you going to launch that "secret" submarine when the pod will have your sub under surveillance long before it reaches its objective. Sonabuoys are quite sensitive instruments
Quote:




You can't tell us much because we're an ingenious and inventive race.

Thank Gawd for toilet paper
Last edited by lone wolf; Mar 23rd, 2014 at 02:07 PM..
 
Blackleaf
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

lol If I want to sell one of my vehicles, I make sure its operable and clean first. Seems pretty boorish of you Brits to sell stuff without making sure its in working order and cleaned up. And there I was, thinking that the Brits had good manners. lol

It's not our job to check it. It's your job, as the buyer, to check it beforehand. Out job was just to count the money that you mugs gave us.

There was nothing wrong with the Upholder-class submarines when they were in service with the Royal Navy between 1990 and 1994. They were regarded as the best diesel-electric submarines in the world.

Just because you lot didn't bother to check whether they were still in perfect nick when you bought them after they were in storage for four years is not our fault. We were laughing all the way to the bank.
 
Goober
+1
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

It's not our job to check it. It's your job, as the buyer, to check it beforehand. Out job was just to count the money that you mugs gave us.

So your not trustworthy. That is wonderful from a NATO Ally.
 
Blackleaf
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

So your not trustworthy. That is wonderful from a NATO Ally.

Probably more a trustworthy "ally" than the United States has ever been to Britain.
 
Goober
+1
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

Probably more a trustworthy "ally" than the United States has ever been to Britain.

Well the US & Canada saved your butt. Twice.
Seeing how you guys over there have been riding on the US for military protection since NATO was formed, perhaps you could carry your weight for a change.
 
Blackleaf
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Next question would be how are you going to launch that "secret" submarine when the pod will have your sub under surveillance long before it reaches its objective. Sonabuoys are quite sensitive instruments
Thank Gawd for toilet paper

A stealth pod on the world's most stealthy submarine won't be under much surveillance. You Canadians can try finding it when it's at sea, though, if you think it'll be that easy. Good luck.
 
L Gilbert
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

It's not our job to check it. It's your job, as the buyer, to check it beforehand. Out job was just to count the money that you mugs gave us.

Yeah, the gov't was idiotic when it forked over the dough before figuring out that you people can't be counted on.
You might as well be French.

Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

Probably more a trustworthy "ally" than the United States has ever been to Britain.

waaaaaah
 
lone wolf
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

A stealth pod on the world's most stealthy submarine won't be under much surveillance. You Canadians can try finding it when it's at sea, though, if you think it'll be that easy. Good luck.

Nothing stealthy about it. If it makes turbulence, it makes noise. Back to the drawing board, McDuff....
 
Blackleaf
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Well the US & Canada saved your butt. Twice.

The US and Canada have NEVER saved Britain. At all. We saved America from the French during the Seven Years' War (and the only thanks we got was the War of Independence) and then had to save the Canadians from the Americans during the War of 1812, but I can't recall a moment in history when the Americans and Canadians have ever saved Britain's butt.

Quote:

Seeing how you guys over there have been riding on the US for military protection since NATO was formed, perhaps you could carry your weight for a change.

The British Armed Forces defend Britain. Canada is under the US military umbrella due to spending just 1.3% of her GDP on defence, half that of Britain, with only Japan spending less than Canada as a percentage of GDP in the top 15 military spending nations, but Britain, with the best-trained military personnel on the planet, is more than capable of defending herself.

Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Nothing stealthy about it.

Try telling that to the Royal Navy. I'm sure they'll scrap the whole project now after being told that their stealthy pod isn't that stealthy by a guy on canadiancontent.net.
 
lone wolf
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

Try telling that to the Royal Navy.

Are they as Brit as you? If so, we'll just let the depth charges tell them
 
Blackleaf
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Are they as Brit as you? If so, we'll just let the depth charges tell them

Okay. We'll see. We'll come back to this thread when it happens. I just hope for your sake you haven't just set yourself for a future embarassment.
 

Similar Threads

28
US navy unveils unmanned jet
by china | Feb 18th, 2011
2
Royal Mint unveils new British coins
by Blackleaf | Apr 7th, 2008
no new posts