Horror as train arrives with body stuck on front

Locutus
Passengers at a French railway station were left horrified when a high-speed TGV train arrived at a platform with the dead body of a cyclist stuck to the front of the train.

The body of a cyclist hit by one of France's high-speed TGV trains was embedded into the front of the driver's carriage and carried 40 kilometres (25 miles) before anyone noticed.

Police and the national rail company SNCF were unable to say on Monday whether the 48-year-old man's death was accidental or a suicide.

He was struck by the train on a level crossing in the village of Petit-Croix, near Belfort in eastern France on Sunday, but his body was not discovered until staff and passengers got off at the next stop, in Mulhouse.

"The body was found, stuck to the front right of the train, out of the driver's vision," an SNCF spokesman said, adding that an incident of this kind was "relatively rare".

The remains of the victim's bicycle were recovered by police at the level crossing.

France's TGVs travel at speeds of up to 322 km/h (200 mph) in regular service.

Horror as train arrives with body stuck on front - The Local

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
Blackleaf
It's only a cyclist. There's one less of them in the world now.

JLM
+10
#3  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

Some people may think there should be one less of you!

lone wolf
+4
Moral of the story? Train time is any time. Stop. Look and Listen

El Barto
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Just pull his plug

Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

There's one cyclist that is impressed with the speed of the TVG

lone wolf
+3
Careful.... "Plug" may have a different meaning in that little world.

El Barto

Careful.... "Plug" may have a different meaning in that little world.

Can you elaborate ?

lone wolf
+3
Well, if a truck is a lory and a rail car is a wagon, and wings, fenders and bonnet are fenders, bumpers and hood ... I don't want to get within ten feet of his "plug"

El Barto
+3

Well, if a truck is a lory and a rail car is a wagon, and wings, fenders and bonnet are fenders, bumpers and hood ... I don't want to get within ten feet of his "plug"

Oh you have waaaaay too much imagination :P

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Passengers at a French railway station were left horrified when a high-speed TGV train arrived at a platform with the dead body of a cyclist stuck to the front of the train.
The body of a cyclist hit by one of France's high-speed TGV trains was embedded into the front of the driver's carriage and carried 40 kilometres (25 miles) before anyone noticed.
Police and the national rail company SNCF were unable to say on Monday whether the 48-year-old man's death was accidental or a suicide.
He was struck by the train on a level crossing in the village of Petit-Croix, near Belfort in eastern France on Sunday, but his body was not discovered until staff and passengers got off at the next stop, in Mulhouse.
"The body was found, stuck to the front right of the train, out of the driver's vision," an SNCF spokesman said, adding that an incident of this kind was "relatively rare".

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
completely horrifying......would not be an image to be forgotten...I hope it was not suicide what a terrible thing to do to another person...make them kill you

Locutus
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

completely horrifying......would not be an image to be forgotten...I hope it was not suicide what a terrible thing to do to another person...make them kill you

Yep. Quite a sight for those watching the train pull in too eh.

Sal
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Yep. Quite a sight for those watching the train pull in too eh.

honestly, the image it implants in the brain as to what those people witnessed is highly disturbing

JLM
+1

[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

I'm kind of thinking that sort of thing happens more than people realize, just in town here less than a mile from where I live about 6 months ago a 34 year old woman stepped out in front of a truck after making eye contact with the driver. There wasn't a thing he could do. Very sad for of them!

Sal

I'm kind of thinking that sort of thing happens more than people realize, just in town here less than a mile from where I live about 6 months ago a 34 year old woman stepped out in front of a truck after making eye contact with the driver. There wasn't a thing he could do. Very sad for of them!

Yes it's an horrific thing to do to another human being.

I know someone who yanked her wheel over into oncoming traffic, panicked and yanked it back. Drove a bit further and then did it to the next on coming car ... unbelievable.

JLM

Yes it's an horrific thing to do to another human being.

I know someone who yanked her wheel over into oncoming traffic, panicked and yanked it back. Drove a bit further and then did it to the next on coming car ... unbelievable.

It seems to me we have a bigger ratio of crack pots than we did 50 years ago! What do you think?

MHz

For that to really apply it would have to be a Lawyer on a bike and the bike was undamaged.

Sal
+1

It seems to me we have a bigger ratio of crack pots than we did 50 years ago! What do you think?

LOL I don't know JLM, I was just a baby living in a lower middle class neighbourhood 50 years ago.

I do not have the fond memories of the past that you seem to. For all of the craziness of today life is good, and for the most part, so are people.

Tell ya something though... we had two suicides on my block where I grew up. Both nice guys...both blew their heads off...one in the basement and the other walked over to the fairgrounds and used a shot gun. His son found him...his son was 15. Do you think it scarred him?

So as long as the crackpots are elsewhere other than my world, I'm good with it.

shadowshiv
+2
When someone commits suicide, I find it to be sad. When they commit suicide by involving someone else that is unwittingly involved, then I feel nothing but contempt for the person committing suicide. The person committing suicide this way ruins the lives of the people involved. Say, a police officer that shoots someone that wanted to die no matter what (suicide by cop), or jumping in front of a moving vehicle, or driving your vehicle into oncoming traffic. Despicable.

Now, if this was just a case of the bicyclist trying to beat the train, then it's just a tragic accident, but no less traumatic to the people controlling the train.

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

When someone commits suicide, I find it to be sad. When they commit suicide by involving someone else that is unwittingly involved, then I feel nothing but contempt for the person committing suicide. The person committing suicide this way ruins the lives of the people involved. Say, a police officer that shoots someone that wanted to die no matter what (suicide by cop), or jumping in front of a moving vehicle, or driving your vehicle into oncoming traffic. Despicable.

Now, if this was just a case of the bicyclist trying to beat the train, then it's just a tragic accident, but no less traumatic to the people controlling the train.

Maybe but I think quite often by the time they do those things they may be beyond rational thought!

Nuggler
+1

honestly, the image it implants in the brain as to what those people witnessed is highly disturbing

Yah,buttt: they didn't show us the pics.

Proximately the same thing happened sort of locally a few years ago. fella just stepped in front of the Via and more or less exploded.

No pics of that either.

Helps to have a very dark sense of humour these days.

Blackleaf

More people than that think there should be less of the arrogant, holier-than-thou, lycra-clad brigade on the road, who don't pay road taxes yet think the laws of the roads don't apply to them when pursuing their silly hobby.

I bet there are millions of motorists who wish they were in that train driver's shoes when he mowed down that cyclist.

Seeing a day-glo, lycro-clad moron and his bike go bouncing off your bonnet, over your roof, bounce off the back bonnet, then land in a crumpled heap on the road at the back of your car is one of the joys of modern life.

Cyclists ignore red lights. It doesn't matter if it's traffic lights or lights at level crossings. Cyclists think red lights don't apply to them. That cyclist probably assumed that the train would stop and let him through. It's no wonder there have been so many cyclists being mangled on London's roads in recent weeks. Yet, on the odd occasion they survive such accidents, they blame the motorist who hit them.

lone wolf
Is that "cyclists" as in ALL (read each and every one) cyclists or just the bulletproof few cyclists who paint their impressions on ALL. In too many cases, motorists are looking out for hard cars - not soft bicycles. Agreed - there ARE a few moronic twits out there - on two wheels, four wheels or in patent leather shoes.

Tecumsehsbones
Hood ornaments.

Blackleaf

Is that "cyclists" as in ALL (read each and every one) cyclists or just the bulletproof few cyclists who paint their impressions on ALL. In too many cases, motorists are looking out for hard cars - not soft bicycles. Agreed - there ARE a few moronic twits out there - on two wheels, four wheels or in patent leather shoes.

Yeah. All cyclists. Nothing's ever their fault on the roads, apparently.

lone wolf
According to most highway traffic laws, bicycles have right-of-way over vehicular traffic, and horses over bicycles, and pedestrians over everything. At sea, it's sail over powered. Traffic laws apply to them all. Some folk are careful. Some? Not so....

SLM
+3

According to most highway traffic laws, bicycles have right-of-way over vehicular traffic, and horses over bicycles, and pedestrians over everything. At sea, it's sail over powered. Traffic laws apply to them all. Some folk are careful. Some? Not so....

And some take unbounded glee in the horrific death of a person simply because they find a particular group 'irritating'. Speaks volumes.

Goober
+2

Yeah. All cyclists. Nothing's ever their fault on the roads, apparently.

But it was a white cyclist.

bill barilko
Well the usual suspect have outdone themselves on this thread-misanthropy rules some people's so called lives.

NOTE-I cycled from Burrard & 4th to Fraser & 49th & back yesterday then over the Burrard Street Bridge to downtown & back; today I'm heading to East Vancouver and back through the DES, Yaletown then around False Creek back to Kitsilano.

IdRatherBeSkiing

[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

One would think that if it was a suicide, he would not have needed the bicycle.

Nuggler
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

But it was a white cyclist.

not for long

Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

Well the usual suspect have outdone themselves on this thread-misanthropy rules some people's so called lives.

NOTE-I cycled from Burrard & 4th to Fraser & 49th & back yesterday then over the Burrard Street Bridge to downtown & back; today I'm heading to East Vancouver and back through the DES, Yaletown then around False Creek back to Kitsilano.

Couldn't find a train eh ?

Best not try out that sail over powered theory on the Rideau Canal, in front of a yacht.