Horror as train arrives with body stuck on front

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Passengers at a French railway station were left horrified when a high-speed TGV train arrived at a platform with the dead body of a cyclist stuck to the front of the train.

The body of a cyclist hit by one of France's high-speed TGV trains was embedded into the front of the driver's carriage and carried 40 kilometres (25 miles) before anyone noticed.

Police and the national rail company SNCF were unable to say on Monday whether the 48-year-old man's death was accidental or a suicide.

He was struck by the train on a level crossing in the village of Petit-Croix, near Belfort in eastern France on Sunday, but his body was not discovered until staff and passengers got off at the next stop, in Mulhouse.

"The body was found, stuck to the front right of the train, out of the driver's vision," an SNCF spokesman said, adding that an incident of this kind was "relatively rare".

The remains of the victim's bicycle were recovered by police at the level crossing.

France's TGVs travel at speeds of up to 322 km/h (200 mph) in regular service.

Horror as train arrives with body stuck on front - The Local

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Well, if a truck is a lory and a rail car is a wagon, and wings, fenders and bonnet are fenders, bumpers and hood ... I don't want to get within ten feet of his "plug"

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Passengers at a French railway station were left horrified when a high-speed TGV train arrived at a platform with the dead body of a cyclist stuck to the front of the train.

The body of a cyclist hit by one of France's high-speed TGV trains was embedded into the front of the driver's carriage and carried 40 kilometres (25 miles) before anyone noticed.

Police and the national rail company SNCF were unable to say on Monday whether the 48-year-old man's death was accidental or a suicide.

He was struck by the train on a level crossing in the village of Petit-Croix, near Belfort in eastern France on Sunday, but his body was not discovered until staff and passengers got off at the next stop, in Mulhouse.

"The body was found, stuck to the front right of the train, out of the driver's vision," an SNCF spokesman said, adding that an incident of this kind was "relatively rare".

The remains of the victim's bicycle were recovered by police at the level crossing.

France's TGVs travel at speeds of up to 322 km/h (200 mph) in regular service.

Horror as train arrives with body stuck on front - The Local
completely horrifying......would not be an image to be forgotten...I hope it was not suicide what a terrible thing to do to another person...make them kill you

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
completely horrifying......would not be an image to be forgotten...I hope it was not suicide what a terrible thing to do to another person...make them kill you

Yep. Quite a sight for those watching the train pull in too eh.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

I'm kind of thinking that sort of thing happens more than people realize, just in town here less than a mile from where I live about 6 months ago a 34 year old woman stepped out in front of a truck after making eye contact with the driver. There wasn't a thing he could do. Very sad for of them!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I'm kind of thinking that sort of thing happens more than people realize, just in town here less than a mile from where I live about 6 months ago a 34 year old woman stepped out in front of a truck after making eye contact with the driver. There wasn't a thing he could do. Very sad for of them!
Yes it's an horrific thing to do to another human being.

I know someone who yanked her wheel over into oncoming traffic, panicked and yanked it back. Drove a bit further and then did it to the next on coming car ... unbelievable.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yes it's an horrific thing to do to another human being.

I know someone who yanked her wheel over into oncoming traffic, panicked and yanked it back. Drove a bit further and then did it to the next on coming car ... unbelievable.

It seems to me we have a bigger ratio of crack pots than we did 50 years ago! What do you think?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It seems to me we have a bigger ratio of crack pots than we did 50 years ago! What do you think?
LOL I don't know JLM, I was just a baby living in a lower middle class neighbourhood 50 years ago.

I do not have the fond memories of the past that you seem to. For all of the craziness of today life is good, and for the most part, so are people.

Tell ya something though... we had two suicides on my block where I grew up. Both nice guys...both blew their heads off...one in the basement and the other walked over to the fairgrounds and used a shot gun. His son found him...his son was 15. Do you think it scarred him?

So as long as the crackpots are elsewhere other than my world, I'm good with it.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
When someone commits suicide, I find it to be sad. When they commit suicide by involving someone else that is unwittingly involved, then I feel nothing but contempt for the person committing suicide. The person committing suicide this way ruins the lives of the people involved. Say, a police officer that shoots someone that wanted to die no matter what (suicide by cop), or jumping in front of a moving vehicle, or driving your vehicle into oncoming traffic. Despicable.

Now, if this was just a case of the bicyclist trying to beat the train, then it's just a tragic accident, but no less traumatic to the people controlling the train.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
When someone commits suicide, I find it to be sad. When they commit suicide by involving someone else that is unwittingly involved, then I feel nothing but contempt for the person committing suicide. The person committing suicide this way ruins the lives of the people involved. Say, a police officer that shoots someone that wanted to die no matter what (suicide by cop), or jumping in front of a moving vehicle, or driving your vehicle into oncoming traffic. Despicable.

Now, if this was just a case of the bicyclist trying to beat the train, then it's just a tragic accident, but no less traumatic to the people controlling the train.

Maybe but I think quite often by the time they do those things they may be beyond rational thought!

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
honestly, the image it implants in the brain as to what those people witnessed is highly disturbing

Yah,buttt: they didn't show us the pics.

Proximately the same thing happened sort of locally a few years ago. fella just stepped in front of the Via and more or less exploded.

No pics of that either.

Helps to have a very dark sense of humour these days.