Hawaii tries to ban eating cats and dogs

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
And you probably thought this choice already was banned eh. Oh well.

HONOLULU — Animal lovers in Hawaii packed a legislative hearing room Thursday with poodles and pugs, asking lawmakers to ban the practice of eating cats and dogs in the state.

The House Committee on Agriculture later advanced SB 2026, a bill to ban the practice.

The Humane Society of the United States says dog slaughter for human consumption is happening across Hawaii. The group receives at least two reports a year of dogs or cats being slaughtered for food, but it says it’s hard for law enforcement to catch animal slaughterers.

more

Hawaii tries to ban eating cats and dogs | New York Post

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It is. From the article you posted, but obviously didn't read:

"Rep. Romy Cachola emphasized that his family members have pets, but he questioned the need for a new law when one is already in place."

Just more native-bashing.

Last edited:

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Stupid senate wasting all that time on a new statutory material eh. Stupid. :lol:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Pets: the original useless eaters. I don't even like to have plants in the house that I can't eat.

I just made a teriyaki stir fry.

The neighbours cat was wantonly murdering returning spring birds today. It's in desperate need of redemption.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Pets: the original useless eaters. I don't even like to have plants in the house that I can't eat.

The neighbours cat was wantonly murdering returning spring birds today. It's in desperate need of redemption.

Or a starring role in teriyaki stir fry.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

Be nice. Birds carry bird flu...lol She is keeping you safe.

My cat has repeatedly killed her toy mouse which spins under a canvas coverup. She's only had it two days and is dragging the poor thing around the living room and has put holes in the canvas already. It was worth the investment. I get tired of running around shaking the other mouse on the stick. *sigh*

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Oh, oh the people raising beef, hogs, chickens etc. were probably making a fuss! Bastards!!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Once saw an ad on a bus that had a piglet nose to nose with a cat. Under it read " Who do you eat, who do you pet and why?"

I think humane treatment of any animal that is to be used for food should be law. But the species of animal is irrelevant.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

HONOLULU — Animal lovers in Hawaii packed a legislative hearing room Thursday with poodles and pugs, asking lawmakers to ban the practice of eating cats and dogs in the state.

The House Committee on Agriculture later advanced SB 2026, a bill to ban the practice.

The Humane Society of the United States says dog slaughter for human consumption is happening across Hawaii. The group receives at least two reports a year of dogs or cats being slaughtered for food, but it says it’s hard for law enforcement to catch animal slaughterers.

more

remind me to never eat at a luau. :shock:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

more

I have a pet-pig at home and a pet sheep too, and a pet chicken. How can a person eat a pet.? Just terrible.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

A BILL FOR AN ACT

relating to animal cruelty.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII:

SECTION 1. The legislature finds that despite the enactment of several animal cruelty offenses, local humane societies, law enforcement agencies, and animal protection groups continue to receive reports of dogs and cats being sold, trafficked, or slaughtered for human consumption. Some of these cases involve dogs and cats that were stolen or lost or acquired via online advertisements for dogs or cats "free to good home".

In 2007, two defendants were prosecuted in Hawaii for stealing a pet dog from the Moanalua Golf Course and killing the dog with the intention of eating the animal. However, the defendants were charged based on their admission to stealing and butchering the dog rather than killing the pet to consume it because the Hawaii penal code does not prohibit the slaughtering or trafficking of dogs or cats for human consumption.

There are nearly a dozen states in the United States that prohibit the slaughter of dogs or cats or the sale of dog or cat products for the purpose of human consumption. The Philippines, Taiwan, and Hong Kong also prohibit the sale or trafficking of dogs or cats for human consumption because the consumption of these animals may spread disease to humans.

The purpose of this Act is to prohibit the slaughtering or trafficking of dogs or cats for human consumption.

SECTION 2. Chapter 711, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended by adding a new section to be appropriately designated and to read as follows:

more mumbo jumbo

Bill Text - SB 2026 - Hawaii 2013-2014 Regular Session - Open States

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
prohibit the sale or trafficking of dogs or cats for human consumption because the consumption of these animals may spread disease to humans./quote]

I wonder what diseases they'd have the humans would contract via consumption? Does wild game have this too? or fish?