Cartoonist issues terrible apology after comparing Harper government to Nazis

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Wednesday’s edition of The Advocate newspaper in Pictou, N.S., featured a rather unsubtle editorial cartoon criticizing the Conservative government. It depicted a Nazi swastika flag flying over Parliament Hill in Ottawa, captioned “Harper’s Economic Action Plan.”

Although it’s not clear how Stephen Harper’s economic policies relate to Adolf Hitler’s, the cartoon still hit a nerve with readers.

“We sent brave men and women to Europe as many innocent people died to stop what the Nazis were doing,” Tyler Cameron told The News. “To make a comparison regardless of whether you’re a Conservative, Liberal, NDP or otherwise, is just wrong. It’s hurtful, hateful and turns people away from politics in general.”

Pictou Advocate editor Jackie Jardine did not pick up her phone when called for comment Thursday, but the paper published an “explanation” later in the day that basically doubled down on the offensive comparison.

“I certainly didn’t mean to offend anybody,” the unnamed cartoonist said in a statement. “The use of the swastika was simply aligning the Harper government’s policies with the Nazis.”

Um, that was the part people objected to.

more

Cartoonist issues terrible apology after comparing Harper government to Nazis | canada.com

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Poor taste - poor timing....

I know Ontario wasn't pleased with me referring to the old Trillium as "the three-point swastika. Odd how they went back to the critters mounting a plaque for a while and now it's three men in a hot tub....

Ya gotta love the politics of being Canadian

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
...and the alternative to a Harper Government...

Finally he comes out of the closest . . . .

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Nobody seems to say:

I meant it, so kiss my a s s.

I'm not sorry.

Yeah, it was stupid, sorry.

Sorry about that.

It's all the 'everything after but' apology. Mean it or don't. Be mean or not but don't try to play us.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net