Teen cheerleader suing parents for tuition

SLM
+1

New Jersey student Rachel Canning attends a hearing in her lawsuit against her parents Sean and Elizabeth Canning, in Morristown March 4, 2014. REUTERS/Carlo Allegri

Victoria Cavaliere, Reuters

Mar 4, 2014 , Last Updated: 8:48 PM ET

MORRISTOWN, N.J. - A New Jersey student who says her parents abandoned her when she turned 18 lost a first round on Tuesday in the lawsuit she filed against them for school costs and living expenses, a case that could set a precedent for a family's obligation to support a child who has left home.
A family court judge denied a request by Rachel Canning of Lincoln Park, New Jersey, to have her parents temporarily resume paying her tuition and living expenses. He set another hearing date for next month.
Canning, 18, wants her parents to pay the remaining $5,000 in tuition owed to the Morris Catholic High School, where she is a senior, and she wants access to a college fund that was set up for her.
The cheerleader and lacrosse player claims her parents kicked her out of the house in November 2013 after she turned 18, the age of legal adulthood. She wound up living with a friend's family, she said, and the upheaval has jeopardized her educational future.

Judge Peter Bogaard rejected her request for a temporary payout of about $600 a month in support as well as tuition for her private high school, which has waived fees while the case is settled.
In court, the teen said her parents remain obligated to help her with food, transportation, high school tuition and her college education.
She filed the lawsuit last week claiming that she is still dependent on them for support because she is still in school and not yet legally emancipated under state law.
"They left her high and dry because they didn't want to pay," attorney Tanya Helfand told the court. "Now at the age of 18 is not the point to do this."
Her parents, Sean and Elizabeth Canning, said their daughter left home voluntarily, telling the court that she had severe behavioral problems, including underage drinking, and had been suspended from school.
In court papers, they said she did not want to follow the rules of the house that included doing chores and a curfew.
In New Jersey, emancipation is not contingent on becoming a legal adult at age 18 but instead requires a young person to obtain "an independent status on his or her own" - such as graduation from college, obtainment of employment or marriage.
Family law experts in New Jersey say Canning's case might set legal parameters on whether non-divorced parents in the state are obligated to pay for their children's college education and provide other financial support after the child has left home.
New Jersey is one of several states that require divorced parents to pay for their children's education through college, or legal emancipation, said William Laufer, a family law expert in New Jersey. So far, there is no parallel decision for intact families.
"This case is certainly unique," Laufer said. "The question is, a kid at the age of 18 says he or she is moving out of the house - do parents have a legal obligation to support their kids until emancipation?"
An attorney for Canning's parents said in court that she was welcome to return home and under the financial care of her parents, should she abide by house rules.
"She can come home tonight. There is no abuse. There is no neglect," attorney Laurie Rush-Masuret said.
Sean Canning, a former police chief in Lincoln Park, told local television station WCBS-TV on Monday he was "dumbfounded" that he was being sued by one of his three daughters.
He called Rachel "rebellious" and said her college fund was not in jeopardy.
"We have a college that's available to her - there's no doubt about that. But it's the equivalent ... of going shopping at a high-end store and sending somebody the bill," he told the station.

Teen cheerleader suing parents for tuition (external - login to view)

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
lone wolf
I'll bet the will gets tied up in escrow

#juan
+6
#3  Top Rated Post
This young girl has made a few wrong moves. She moved out voluntarily and didn't have an agreement with her parents on paying for the more expensive school. She might have had some chance if she was still living at home. Sounds to me like a spoiled brat kid that needs to get out and smell the coffee.

Zipperfish
+1
Quote:

Her parents, Sean and Elizabeth Canning, said their daughter left home
voluntarily, telling the court that she had severe behavioral problems,
including underage drinking, and had been suspended from school.

Underage drinking is a severe behavioural problem these days? When I was a teenager we called that "Saturday Night."

EagleSmack
Not sure if any of you heard about this but I thought it would be interesting.

Basically an 18 year old girl has left her parents house (although she says she was kicked out) and is sueing her parents to continue paying for her Private HS and further on paying for her College education.

New Jersey honor student sues parents for school fees after they cut her off at age 18 - NY Daily News (external - login to view)

The judge did not side with her but the case is still ongoing...

Rachel Canning Loses Effort to Make Parents Pay High School Tuition - ABC News (external - login to view)

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Whole thread on it raht char. . .

forums.canadiancontent.net/ne...s-tuition.html (external - login to view)

lone wolf
+1
Whatta biotch, eh?

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Whole thread on it raht char. . .

forums.canadiancontent.net/ne...s-tuition.html (external - login to view)

My mistake.

Mods have been notified

EagleSmack
+1
I sure hope her parents win this and I hope her "best friend's" Dad is forced to pay court and lawyer fees.

Nuggler
+1
Just looking at the kid; and I know you can't judge a book by its cover, but she looks like a sulky brat.....it's all about her.
Good luck to the parents. Hope they win.

petros
+2
If she had my old man she would have been given $50 and a sleeping bag for her 18th B-Day.

Nuggler
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by ZipperfishView Post

Underage drinking is a severe behavioural problem these days? When I was a teenager we called that "Saturday Night."

.............not indulged in by everyone. Most of us stayed at a friends house if we got into the hooch, cause we knew what would happen at home. Hoooboy !!

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

If she had my old man she would have been given $50 and a sleeping bag for her 18th B-Day.

I doubt my Dad would have even done that if I was acting as the teen from NJ is.

My brother joined the Navy at 17 and I joined the Marines at 18. We saved mom and dad quite a bit of cash.

My sister on the other hand... off to college she went!

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

Most of us stayed at a friends house if we got into the hooch, cause we knew what would happen at home. Hoooboy !!

Dad would want his cut of the beer for "pulling"?

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

.............not indulged in by everyone. Most of us stayed at a friends house if we got into the hooch, cause we knew what would happen at home. Hoooboy !!

Spot on!

I went home with alcohol on my breath once... ONCE! Not a good decision on my part.

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

I doubt my Dad would have even done that if I was acting as the teen from NJ is.

My brother joined the Navy at 17 and I joined the Marines at 18. We saved mom and dad quite a bit of cash.

My sister on the other hand... off to college she went!

That was my old man if you were acting up or not. Back then it was called reality, today they call it "tough love".

L Gilbert
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Teen cheerleader suing parents for tuition (external - login to view)

Poor girl. Life's a bitch or a beach. Too bad she chose bitch.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

That was my old man if you were acting up or not. Back then it was called reality, today they call it "tough love".

My father f*cked my mom. I believe that was the last effect he had on my life.

El Barto
+4
Whys should I be reading this , this will be a movie next year on tv

Praxius
When I hit 17, my parents told me to start planning for whatever college+student loans or job I want to take because when I hit 18, I was to move out and they were going to turn my bedroom into a wine cellar..... they divorced shortly after I left home, but that's beside the point.

There's a lot of families here in Australia that have their children still living with them even into their 30's.

The argument is that it's expensive to find a place of their own, which their parents agree, and when they go to college/university, they stay at home to reduce living expenses they may incur while attending post secondary education.

.... That's what room mates are for ffs. Grow some gawd'am independence.... you're not a kid anymore.

I sure as hell didn't have that and neither did my brother or sister.... 18.... graduated high school?

GTFO!!!

I know when my son hits 17, I'll be doing the same thing. "Son... you better plan your future real quick, because when you hit 18, you're gone. If you still plan on sticking around the house, then one late night, I'm rolling you up in a carpet while you sleep, tossing you in a van and driving you out into the middle of nowhere. If you can get back home alive, you can stay for one more year."

My wife and mother-in-law don't think that's very funny.

..... I never meant it to be.

Liberalman
She will do good in the business arena just because litigation rules

spaminator
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by El BartoView Post

Whys should I be reading this , this will be a movie next year on tv

lifetime pictures presents.

save the cheerleader save the world.

WLDB
Odd move. Even if she wins which i see as very unlikely it will no doubt cause a lot of damage to her relationship with her parents. Personally I wouldnt see it as worth the cost.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

Odd move. Even if she wins which i see as very unlikely it will no doubt cause a lot of damage to her relationship with her parents. Personally I wouldnt see it as worth the cost.

Depends on which party is telling the truth, did she leave home voluntarily or did they boot her to the curb?

The part that I think is interesting, and it's mentioned in the article, is that under a support order in a divorce agreement a parent has long been made to be financially responsible for a child through post-secondary under the law. And the question before the court is are parents whose marriage is still intact not obligated in the same manner.

captain morgan

Depends on which party is telling the truth, did she leave home voluntarily or did they boot her to the curb?

No where in that law will it define where the parents would have to send the kid or what kind of lifestyle she prefers to live. Maybe it will cost them a few quid, but ultimately, that does not mean that Queenie will receive her preferred scenario

Fund her post secondary at a school in the sticks and provide a cost of living allowance based on a 1 bedroom in a average or 'economy' setting.

The brat may win the battle, but will lose the war.

spaminator
+1
Teen who sued parents for thousands moving back home
First posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 03:36 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 06:37 PM EDT
NEW YORK - A New Jersey teen who drew international attention when she sued her parents to demand they pay her tuition after she moved out of their house has decided to return home, but their legal battle has not yet been settled, attorneys said Wednesday.
Rachel Canning, 18, was going home voluntarily, and her decision was "not contingent on any financial and/or other considerations," Angelo Sarno, her parents' attorney, said in a statement.
As Sarno announced that the family was reuniting, the teen's attorney filed a new application for emergency court intervention, saying she could be unfairly pressured to drop the legal proceedings against her parents.
In the lawsuit filed in late February, the teenager demanded that her parents pay her tuition at a private high school, plus living expenses, and give her access to a college savings fund set up for her.
The emergency application filed on Wednesday requested a court-appointed guardian and asked that court records in the case be sealed.
"It is critical that if Rachel does dismiss this matter that it be done of her own free will, and not due to the extreme pressure of her parents and the media," attorney Tanya Helfand wrote.
State Superior Court Judge Peter Bogaard denied the request.
Rachel Canning said in her lawsuit that she left home in Lincoln Park, New Jersey, after her 18th birthday in November 2013, because she was emotionally abused and neglected. Her parents, Sean and Elizabeth Canning, argued that their daughter had disciplinary problems at home and school and would not conform to house rules that included curfews and chores.
The case raised the legal question of how much the government can intervene in a financial dispute between parents and a child over 18 who is an adult but not legally emancipated.
Legal experts said the case could set a precedent on whether non-divorced parents in the state are under obligation to pay for their children's college education and provide other financial support after the child has left home.
At a court hearing last week, Canning sought emergency financial relief from her parents, but the judge denied her request, saying it posed a potential "slippery slope."
"Do we want to establish a precedent where parents are living in constant fear of establishing basic rules of the house?" he said during the March 4 hearing.
Sarno, the parents' attorney, said on Wednesday: "The Cannings want this matter behind them so they begin the healing process with their family."
Teen who sued parents for thousands moving back home | Weird | News | Toronto Sun (external - login to view)

EagleSmack
Great news!

When she realized it was highly unlikely she would get the cash she caved IMO.

Now her lawyers and the guy who fronted the money for them looks like they are on the hook.

Lovely!

spaminator
Teen drops lawsuit against parents over tuition money
First posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 12:24 PM EDT | Updated: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 12:30 PM EDT
NEW YORK - A New Jersey teenager who drew international attention when she sued her parents for financial support after leaving home in a dispute on Tuesday dropped the case against them, according to court records.
Rachel Canning, 18, filed papers to dismiss the lawsuit in New Jersey family court, saying the decision was voluntary.
The lawsuit's dismissal ends a public battle between Canning and her parents that raised questions about the obligations of non-divorced parents in New Jersey to continue to financially support adult children after they leave home.
Canning returned to her parents' home in Lincoln Park, New Jersey, last week after a four-month estrangement that began when she turned 18, the legal age of adulthood.
She had sued her parents, Sean and Elizabeth Canning, for her private high school tuition, living expenses and access to a college fund, arguing that though she did not reside with them, she was not legally emancipated and therefore was entitled to their financial care.
Her parents said they would continue to pay for their daughter's education and expenses if she returned home to complete high school.
Canning contended in her lawsuit that she was emotionally abused and effectively abandoned. Her parents argued that their daughter had disciplinary problems at home and school and would not conform to house rules that included curfews and chores.
During the estrangement, Rachel Canning had been living with a friend's family, who also funded her lawsuit.
Attorneys for Rachel Canning and her parents did not respond to a request for comment on Tuesday.
(Reporting by Victoria Cavaliere; Editing by Barbara Goldberg and Leslie Adler)
Teen drops lawsuit against parents over tuition money | Weird | News | Toronto Sun (external - login to view)