John Kerry blasts climate change deniers, 'shoddy scientists'


mentalfloss
#1
Johnny's been hitting all the right notes these days!


John Kerry blasts climate change deniers, 'shoddy scientists'

Climate change may be the world's "most fearsome" weapon of mass destruction and urgent action is needed to combat it, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said on Sunday, comparing those who deny its existence or question its causes to people who insist the Earth is flat.

In a speech to Indonesian students, civic leaders and government officials in Jakarta, Kerry laid into climate change deniers, accusing them of using shoddy science and scientists to delay measures needed to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases at the risk of imperiling the planet. He also went after those who continue to dispute who is responsible for such emissions, arguing that everyone and every country must take responsibility and act immediately.

"We simply don't have time to let a few loud interest groups hijack the climate conversation," he said, referring to what he called "big companies" that "don't want to change and spend a lot of money" to act to reduce the risks.

"We should not allow a tiny minority of shoddy scientists and science and extreme ideologues to compete with scientific facts," Kerry told the audience gathered at a U.S. Embassy-run American Center in a Jakarta shopping mall. "Nor should we allow any room for those who think that the costs associated with doing the right thing outweigh the benefits."

"The science is unequivocal, and those who refuse to believe it are simply burying their heads in the sand," Kerry said. "We don't have time for a meeting anywhere of the Flat Earth Society,"

China agreement
Kerry argued that the cost of inaction to environments and economies will far outweigh the significant expense of reducing greenhouse gas emissions that trap solar heat in the atmosphere and contribute to the Earth's rising temperatures.

The speech came a day after Kerry won an agreement with China to cooperate more closely with the U.S. on combatting climate change. American officials hope that will help encourage other nations, including developing countries like Indonesia and India, to follow suit.

Just after Kerry departed Beijing on Saturday, the U.S. and China issued a joint statement saying they had agreed on steps to carry out commitments to curb greenhouse gases, including reducing vehicle emissions, improving energy efficiency of buildings and other measures.

China and the United States are the biggest sources of emissions of carbon dioxide and other gases that cause the atmosphere to trap solar heat and alter the climate. Scientists warn such changes are already leading to drought, wildfires, rising sea levels, melting polar ice, plant and animal extinctions and other extreme conditions.

The two governments will "contribute significantly to successful 2015 global efforts to meet this challenge," the statement said, citing "overwhelming scientific consensus on climate change and its worsening impacts, and the related issue of air pollution from burning fossil fuels."

John Kerry blasts climate change deniers, 'shoddy scientists'
 
Walter
#2
John "C" student Kerry is now a scientist?
 
EagleSmack
+1
#3
 
mentalfloss
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

John "C" student Kerry is now a scientist?

Something tells me you disagree with his sentiment.
 
taxslave
+4
#5  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Something tells me you disagree with his sentiment.

We do tend to disagree with people that are full of $hit. Moreso when they have a financial reason to promote BS.
 
EagleSmack
+2
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Something tells me you disagree with his sentiment.

I thought you had to be a climate scientist to make statements like these?

Do you think he scared the Indonesians enough?
 
mentalfloss
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

We do tend to disagree with people that are full of $hit. Moreso when they have a financial reason to promote BS.

There's nothing wrong with disagreement, but it's not convincing if you're just going to make blanket statements.
 
Walter
+1
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

it's not convincing if you're just going to make blanket statements.

Like the one John "C student" Kerry made.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+2 / -1
#9
Hey, Wally, there's at least two threads up of black men who committed crimes, and you haven't made your "Could be Obama's son" comment yet. You're slacking. Get with the programme.

This John "C Student" Kerry thing ain't working. It's not funny, it's not cute, and it certainly ain't intelligent. Most of all, it doesn't improve with repetition (as in twice in seven posts). Stick with the "Obama's son" thing. At least it has some familiarity.
 
EagleSmack
+1
#10
John Kerry's Mansions and Houses...


Fox Chapel, Pa



Ketchum, Id



Washington, DC



Nantucket, Ma



Boston, Ma


John Kerry On his SUVs


FIRST HE SAID: "I don't own an SUV,'' Kerry declared when asked by reporters on Earth Day 2004.


THEN HE SAID: Asked whether or not his wife, Teresa, owned an SUV — on same conference call during which he denied owning an SUV — he fessed up, sorta: "The family has it. I don't have it." Back in February, however, he rattled off a list of Kerry household cars: "We have some SUVs. We have a Jeep. We have a couple of Chrysler minivans. We have a PT Cruiser up in Boston. I have an old Dodge 600 that I keep in the Senate. ... We also have a Chevy, a big Suburban."

But he's "saying" all the right things and hitting all the right notes eh?
 
petros
#11
The house in DC looks like it would be drafty.
 
mentalfloss
-1
#12
The call to the individual carbon footprint is a fallacy. We are well beyond the point where personal responsibility will make the difference in this situation. It's not analogous to something like parenthood or addiction. This is a systemic problem that requires a gradual shift in policy.
 
petros
+1
#13
What is the long term interglacial plan to stabilize an instability?
 
Tecumsehsbones
-1
#14
Thanks for the reddie, Wally. It was just constructive criticism. Not surprising someone as overwhelmed by sheer terror of a changing world couldn't take it.
 
captain morgan
+2
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

There's nothing wrong with disagreement, but it's not convincing if you're just going to make blanket statements.

There is when that disagreement resides within the global warming movement itself.

Might I remind you of East Anglia?

Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

The call to the individual carbon footprint is a fallacy. We are well beyond the point where personal responsibility will make the difference in this situation. It's not analogous to something like parenthood or addiction. This is a systemic problem that requires a gradual shift in policy.

Are you saying that the sum of the parts is somehow smaller than the whole?

If individual footprints are of no consequence, then it's far easier for all individuals to sit back and let a fictional 'someone else' take the steps
 
petros
#16
When we're done paying for GE to force out the competition, emissions will drop by 60% beating out the measly 40% goal and we'll all be heroes and can go back to saving whales and ducks.
 
Tonington
+1
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Might I remind you of East Anglia?

Yes, remind him of the claims of fraud from deniers that have not been supported by the findings of any investigations...including the review requested by US Senator Denier in-Chief Jim Inhoffe.
 
petros
+2
#18
Might I remind you we're in an interglacial period and that seems to be missing from the entire AGW scam.
 
Tonington
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Might I remind you we're in an interglacial period

You may.
 
captain morgan
+2
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Yes, remind him of the claims of fraud from deniers that have not been supported by the findings of any investigations...including the review requested by US Senator Denier in-Chief Jim Inhoffe.


... Except for the many emails that coordinated skewed, flawed and fraudulent data.

Aside from that, and, well, ahhh, having not provided one single accurate prediction so far; yeah, AGW has been 100% spot-on
 
Tonington
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

... Except for the many emails that...

Except nothing. They looked over all of the emails. Your side thought it had found a smoking gun, but it turned out to be nothing more than researchers venting frustrations in emails. The data was fine.

Your revisionist attempts notwithstanding, the stolen emails were and are much ado about nothing.
 
Locutus
#22
Kerry's gaseous emissions
 
Tonington
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Aside from that, and, well, ahhh, having not provided one single accurate prediction so far; yeah, AGW has been 100% spot-on

I'm just going to keep referring to this post every time you say something along the lines of not one single accurate prediction:
Prince Charles Calls Climate Deniers "Headless Chicken Brigade"

How about you just admit that you haven't ever looked into this, instead of repeating such silly and easilly refutable claims?
 
captain morgan
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Except nothing. They looked over all of the emails. Your side thought it had found a smoking gun, but it turned out to be nothing more than researchers venting frustrations in emails. The data was fine.

AGW was founded upon, and remains dependent on, the court of public opinion... When your buddies at East Anglia, IPCC and Al Gore were effective in rallying the public with emotionally charged rhetoric and flawed science, it was OK... Now that East Anglia and their raft of communications that detailed their intent is public, well, the public has withdrawn their support and slowly but surely, the movement is fading into oblivion.


The irony is palpable dontcha think?

Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

Your revisionist attempts notwithstanding, the stolen emails were and are much ado about nothing.

The only revisionist action going on here is related to the suggestion that the current climate systems are somehow different from those observed over the last millions of years.

By the way; what are your thoughts on last year being the first year for an ice-free North?

Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

I'm just going to keep referring to this post every time you say something along the lines of not one single accurate prediction:
Prince Charles Calls Climate Deniers "Headless Chicken Brigade"

How about you just admit that you haven't ever looked into this, instead of repeating such silly and easilly refutable claims?


A broken clock is still accurate twice a day
 
petros
#25
Will we be able to prevent the rapidly approaching glaciation with emissions restrictions?

The 100,000 year average global temp is -5Cish. That's gonna suck.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Will we be able to prevent the rapidly approaching glaciation with emissions restrictions?

Nope. We'll need superheroes.

Fortunately, the U.S. is just stuffed with superheroes.

Not so good for Canada, but, there you go.
 
petros
+1
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Nope. We'll need superheroes.

Fortunately, the U.S. is just stuffed with superheroes.

Not so good for Canada, but, there you go.

We have Red Green.
 
Cliffy
#28
Ah, the shoddy scientists are out in full force trying to deflect attention from their rape and pillage entitlements. Carry on over indulging til you choke in your own vomit. At least you had your fill... at the next 7 generations expense.



 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

We have Red Green.

Well, if it can be done with duct tape and scrap lumber, Red'll do it!
 
Cliffy
#30
 

Similar Threads

26
Satisfied with John Kerry?
by Andem | Oct 26th, 2004
no new posts