Watch those scarves, ladies

JLM
+2
Just heard on C.B.C. radio a woman back east has died after her scarf got tangled up in the escalator that sucked her hair and she died of cardiac arrest. For Christ sakes be careful, put the god damn thing in your hand bag once out of the weather.

petros
+2
Remember those dust devil hand vaccums with the rotating thingamajig? My wife was vaccuming the stairs when her hair was entangled and wrapped around the rotating thing and knocked her out cold when the vaccum nailed her in the noggin.

She woke up with me standing over her with tears in my eyes from laughing and no idea what happened. Thankfully she thought it was funny too.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Remember those dust devil hand vaccums with the rotating thingamajig? My wife was vaccuming the stairs when her hair was entangled and wrapped around the rotating thing and knocked her out cold when the vaccum nailed her in the noggin.

She woke up with me standing over her with tears in my eyes from laughing and no idea what happened. Thankfully she thought it was funny too.

Between us maybe we can save a life, Petros.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Between us maybe we can save a life, Petros.

Or at least have a giggle. Nothing like seeing your soul-mate knocked unconscious by a blow for a real hoot.

petros
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Or at least have a giggle. Nothing like seeing your soul-mate knocked unconscious by a blow for a real hoot.

If had it videoed I'd wager I be getting cheques from YouTube

Nuggler
+3
#6  Top Rated Post

oh FFS

JLM

I don't normally get much enjoyment out of others' pain, unless of course they are a real A$$hole!

petros
+1
If you saw it happen, you'd laugh too.

Tecumsehsbones
+1

I don't normally get much enjoyment out of others' pain, unless of course they are a real A$$hole!

You don't? Too bad. I find it hysterical, and so affirming!

Different tastes, I suppose.

karrie
+1
Hey, if you can't laugh at the bizarre things life throws your way, what can you laugh at?

I bet you'd find hubby's story about knocking me unconscious when I was 8 months pregnant, with his elbow, less than amusing. It gets great laughs at parties. Especially when he recreates the look on the intake nurse's face at the hospital as he explains what happened.

As to the incident JLM is discussing.....

I highly doubt she died from getting her hair and scarf stuck in an escalator. I strongly suspect she got her hair and scarf stuck in an escalator because she died. So long as you're not keeling over on an escalator due to a heart attack, your hair and scarf are perfectly safe.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

Hey, if you can't laugh at the bizarre things life throws your way, what can you laugh at?

I bet you'd find hubby's story about knocking me unconscious when I was 8 months pregnant, with his elbow, less than amusing. It gets great laughs at parties. Especially when he recreates the look on the intake nurse's face at the hospital as he explains what happened.

I would point out the difference between laughing at a story when you know that everything turned out OK and laughing at someone who has been knocked unconscious whilst they are still unconscious, but why bother?

As I said, I find the suffering of others quite affirming.

Locutus
Sounds like an ideal trap for scented, moustachioed keffiyeh-wearing hipsters.

petros

I would point out the difference between laughing at a story when you know that everything turned out OK and laughing at someone who has been knocked unconscious whilst they are still unconscious, but why bother?

As I said, I find the suffering of others quite affirming.

When you know they'll be fine it's well worth the laugh.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

When you know they'll be fine it's well worth the laugh.

Well, whichever way, I'm sorry your wife was all right, and I hope there's continuing pain and complications.

taxslave

Well, whichever way, I'm sorry your wife was all right, and I hope there's continuing pain and complications.

Always looking for a lawsuit.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Always looking for a lawsuit.

Yep. "Pain and suffering." Lotta ducats in pain and suffering.

petros

The pain came from getting her hair unwrapped. The bonk to the noggin was the easy part.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

As to the incident JLM is discussing.....

I highly doubt she died from getting her hair and scarf stuck in an escalator. I strongly suspect she got her hair and scarf stuck in an escalator because she died. So long as you're not keeling over on an escalator due to a heart attack, your hair and scarf are perfectly safe.

That is NOT the way it was reported. The scarf got caught first, then the hair and then while help was being summoned she died of cardiac arrest. If you want to see another interesting incident with a scarf google Isadora Duncan.

karrie

That is NOT the way it was reported. The scarf got caught first, then the hair and then while help was being summoned she died of cardiac arrest. If you want to see another interesting incident with a scarf google Isadora Duncan.

When it was reported this morning they said she'd been found, already dead, and they they didn't know the details, other than that her hijab and hair were in the escalator. Why would a person bend over far enough to catch their hijab in an escalator? it's a close fitting head garment.

JLM
Montreal Metro scarf tangling leads to woman's death - Montreal - CBC News

karrie
well colour me wrong.

apparently, in searching about strangulation deaths on escalators, men should also be careful of shirts, and of course we all know about shoe laces. Sheesh, you'd think these things would have a sensor for something getting caught in them.

Walter

Just heard on C.B.C. radio a woman back east has died after her scarf got tangled up in the escalator that sucked her hair and she died of cardiac arrest. For Christ sakes be careful, put the god damn thing in your hand bag once out of the weather.

Was she a big girl?

Some sources say it was a hijab.

gopher
+1 / -1

Ugh! That happened in NY many years ago - a wealthy gal went to a glamour party and her long gown got caught in the elevator door. Poor thing got croaked as the elevator could not be stopped. Horrible.

L Gilbert
+1

That's fashion "sense" for ya.

talloola
reminds me of 'the end' of a movie i watched years ago. a crowd of people were watching and waving

at the beautiful couple driving away in their small expensive sports car, and the woman in the car, wearing

a scarf, was strangled as the scarf blew backward from the wind, and wrapped around the wheel.

i have never forgotton that ending, stayed in my mind for days afterword.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

reminds me of 'the end' of a movie i watched years ago. a crowd of people were watching and waving

at the beautiful couple driving away in their small expensive sports car, and the woman in the car, wearing

a scarf, was strangled as the scarf blew backward from the wind, and wrapped around the wheel.

i have never forgotton that ending, stayed in my mind for days afterword.

Isadora Duncan?

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
Watch the wide neck milk bottles. Using them to masturbate can cause swelling and eventual stuckness which leads to the emergency room and dying of embarrassment.

L Gilbert
+1

Isadora Duncan?

Dancer Isadora Duncan is killed in car accident — History.com This Day in History — 9/14/1927

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

That's fashion "sense" for ya.

Short of stripping naked, almost any clothing is a risk. And then some poor soul is bound to get something else caught in it eventually. If a man can fall and end up strangled to death by his shirt on one, just imagine what would happen if someone naked stumbled.

spaminator
those stories could be added to 1000 ways to die.