Sochi Winter Olympics? Who thinks a major terror attack will take place?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Sochi Winter Olympics? Who thinks a major terror attack will take place?
They have been building for years, the country is as corrupt as you can get- How difficult would it be to place explosives inside critical buildings- Infrastructure.
They were behind schedule, projects were rushed.
What do you think?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I think we will have to wait and see if it happens as speculation is not news, but I don't see Putin committing that sort of thing as he has said they will protect the gays....................

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I think sometimes speculation feeds off itself and breeds fear.
Sometimes the world has to go to the edge of danger to show
that fear is not as strong as trust and hope.
If these fools do make a valid attempt the world not just Russia
would descend on them like bugs on a bumper hows that for
speculation?
There are a lot of built in protections and nothing is perfect but
I hope for everyone's sake the games prove to be about uniting
people not dividing them

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I think the games are a big target, always have been, always will be. I think the games in Russia (not unlike the games in the USA have been) are an even bigger target.

It all comes down to their security and how good it is.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I think the games are a big target, always have been, always will be. I think the games in Russia (not unlike the games in the USA have been) are an even bigger target.

It all comes down to their security and how good it is.
With the wars going on in Islamic areas, I think a big one will occur.
Mass slaughter of civilians, Putin will see the results.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I think it is entirely possible, however I do hope nothing happens to mar the games.

As do I but Putin has a legacy of mass murder. When you have many that have no issue with dying to attain a goal, you are fighting a difficult war.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
It's happening all the time in the old Soviet Empire bombs literally go off every day in places like Dagestan.

No need to mount an attack on Sochi if all they want is attention/to make a point-Krasnoyarsk would work as well since the eyes of the world are on Czar Putin's little funfest.

The thing is that the Russian govt of the day has been in bed with the worst elements of Chechnyan society since the 1600's-Chechen gangsters ran approved rackets in Moscow for literally hundreds of years and that included the Communist era-again they reap as they have sowed and no one knows that as well as an ex-KGB man.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As an aside I know someone who was deeply involved in planning for the 2010 Olympics here-security was convinced there was going to be an attack on the Skytrain system-an idea they pulled out of their collective asses but it insured that a lot of people who were otherwise useless were paid a lot of money for standing around doing SFA.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I think there is a good chance that something will happen, I'm just not sure how large of an incident it will be.

I just hope our Russian members (Lessie and Vereya) will be okay through whatever happens.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Agreed.

Who? Lol.

Lessie is the member who has a fox as her Avatar and Vereya has a shimmering wolf as her Avatar. Unfortunately, I haven't seen either of them around in quite a while. That is one thing that sucks about having friends that live so far away. It's not like you can just drive on over and knock and their door to see if they're okay.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Lessie is the member who has a fox as her Avatar and Vereya has a shimmering wolf as her Avatar. Unfortunately, I haven't seen either of them around in quite a while. That is one thing that sucks about having friends that live so far away. It's not like you can just drive on over and knock and their door to see if they're okay.

Haven't had the pleasure. Unless they're mostly on really late at night.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Haven't had the pleasure. Unless they're mostly on really late at night.

Vereya has not been here in at least a couple of years, and I haven't seen Lessie for quite a while either.

Vereya has not been here since May 7th 2009, and Lessie hasn't been here since July 15th 2011.:(

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Well that would explain why I don't know them. I'm sorry to have to tell you but I believe we may have been abandoned.

The problem is that no one would know if something happened to them. I hear about the bombings over there (or the plane crashes) and I wonder if perhaps they had been on one of them. That goes for any of the members I haven't heard from in a long while.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The problem is that no one would know if something happened to them. I hear about the bombings over there (or the plane crashes) and I wonder if perhaps they had been on one of them. That goes for any of the members I haven't heard from in a long while.

Yeah I get that. Speaking of members who haven't been around in a while, what about Ironsides? Anybody know?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Yeah I get that. Speaking of members who haven't been around in a while, what about Ironsides? Anybody know?

There are a lot of missing members. Unforgiven, alley (I can't recall his new handle at the moment), Curiosity, and that's just to start!