Orphaned bear cub found living with chickens

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

A severely malnourished and orphaned bear cub has been rescued in B.C.'s West Kootenay region, after it was found co-existing with hens inside a chicken coop.

The Northern Lights Wildlife Shelter in Smithers, B.C., was alerted to the cub's whereabouts on Sunday, after the tiny bear was seen on a farm in the village of Midway.

Angelika Langen, who works with the shelter, said this was a first in the 23 years she's been rescuing animals.

"Usually they break into the chicken coops and eat the chickens, not eat with the chickens," Langen said.

It is thought the bear, now named Tinsel, was living in the coop for nearly five days.

When he arrived at the animal shelter on Christmas Eve, he was severely undernourished. The 10-month-old cub should have weighed close to 30 kilograms, but instead weighed less than 10.

Langen said it's likely the bear was alone and without its mother for at least two to three months.

"They're very good at finding each other again, so I'm more inclined to think something happened to the mother."

Langen said Tinsel is making a good recovery, starting with a special Christmas dinner.

"Porridge made with water and some honey. He loved it. Dove right into it and licked it all up."

source: Orphaned bear cub found living with chickens - British Columbia - CBC News

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I'd adopt him if he didn't mind driving around in a Big Rig and didn't fart.. lol
it's only berry farts, and he could protect ya...lol.... poor little guy was just happy to have the company of the hens...

so glad it ended well

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I'm sure the cub was just grooming the chickens to be his meal in a few months.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
AWWWWW, poor little fella, so glad he is eating well and happy now, it couldn't have been fun living with chickens.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
So glad he is being taken care of and eating well. Hope he will be able to return to the wild when the time comes.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
West Kootenays is where I live. I don't understand why he had to be shipped all the way to Smithers. That's like a 1000 miles away. There used to be an animal shelter for orphaned wildlife just outside Nelson.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Kinda like BJ and the Bear: The Canadian Version.

I live, work and drive in the USA... hardly The Canadian version... lol

Bought a Big Rig, looking for a 2nd one in 4 or 5 months and buying a home in Chandler, Arizona..

So glad he is being taken care of and eating well. Hope he will be able to return to the wild when the time comes.

I was thinking on the lines of...

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
West Kootenays is where I live. I don't understand why he had to be shipped all the way to Smithers. That's like a 1000 miles away. There used to be an animal shelter for orphaned wildlife just outside Nelson.

Possibly to ensure he does not come back to the hen house and wind up being shot. Can't think of any other reason.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

I live, work and drive in the USA... hardly The Canadian version... lol

Yeah but the bear is Canadian. Plus in the tv show The Bear was a chimp and in this case it would actually be a bear.

I don't know, I'll bet you could sell that show on TLC.

MyEyesOnU

Dec 16, 2013
Manila
Sweet, sweet story. Can't help but wonder how the bear and chicken agreed to stay together. *if there's even a communication they do the way humans does, you know.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Sweet, sweet story. Can't help but wonder how the bear and chicken agreed to stay together. *if there's even a communication they do the way humans does, you know.
Animals communicate on a telepathic level. With humans, they can understand the intent and inflection of our voice.