I am sending my resume to Hydro One

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Ex-Hydro One worker tells of crew's lazy summer (oops)

TORONTO - It’s a shocking series of photographs showing Hydro One workers getting paid top dollar to lounge around by a lake and even take a nap.
There is no line for that on customers’ hydro bills but it’s potentially jolting explanation of the industry’s financial mess and skyrocketing rates.
Imagine the freedom, as one former Hydro One worker described, of being on a permanent working vacation up in Muskoka earlier this year with very little emphasis on the work and heavy emphasis on the pay.
In fact, he said, many spend the days working out in rural and remote parts of Ontario sleeping on Hydro One marked boats or docks or making a nice day of it on the lake while the ratepayers paid their wages.
No wonder your hydro bill could be going up 42% in the next five years.
This comes on the heels of Ontario’s auditor general pointing out off-the-charts salaries at Ontario Power Generation to a point where a red-faced energy minister decided to fire three top executives.
So while the people responsible for generating the electricity in the province have been called out for their overspending, those who deliver the power don’t appear to be immune to abusing your money, either.
Hydro One said it will investigate the photos.
The former worker said they should.
“I worked for Hydro One for six years and I could have done that work in a year and a half,” said the disgruntled ex-employee.
The worker said he is upset because he wanted to work but neither the union nor management desired his keen approach.

Ex-Hydro One worker tells of crew's lazy summer

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Well if he's laying around on a boat allowing his pic to be taken no wonder he's a disgruntled employee.

Likely upset with his own stupidity..........

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It's not shocking, it is disgusting. I'm becoming accustomed to being disgusted with governmental and quasi-governmental departments.

Like the 'outrage' from the provincial minister over the bonuses and benefits for which the OPG CEO got fired over. I had to ask myself, how stupid does the government think we are? Clearly the guy didn't hire himself and offer himself all those perks.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It's not shocking, it is disgusting. I'm becoming accustomed to being disgusted with governmental and quasi-governmental departments.

Like the 'outrage' from the provincial minister over the bonuses and benefits for which the OPG CEO got fired over. I had to ask myself, how stupid does the government think we are? Clearly the guy didn't hire himself and offer himself all those perks.
I went out for coffee this aft and was asked if I had seen this latest debacle when an x hydro worker turned in the pictures...I seriously thought they were setting me up to watch me go off like a rocket... it was too outrageous to believe... I wasn't gonna bite

but then they weren't *sigh*

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I went out for coffee this aft and was asked if I had seen this latest debacle when an x hydro worker turned in the pictures...I seriously thought they were setting me up to watch me go off like a rocket... it was too outrageous to believe... I wasn't gonna bite

but then they weren't *sigh*

It can't be that surprising though.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It can't be that surprising though.
no, it isn't surprising but it is still shocking...I really did think they cooked it up to set me off, that's how absurd that picture is...laying on the dock asleep...and if they got the pictures that easily, that means... meh... grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
no, it isn't surprising but it is still shocking...I really did think they cooked it up to set me off, that's how absurd that picture is...laying on the dock asleep...and if they got the pictures that easily, that means... meh... grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

They way I generally look at it is, that kind of 'work ethic' bleeds from the top on down. And, in this particular case with Hydro, we know it does.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I just spent 5 hours without power at -20 degrees for "maintenance".... Do these guys not work hot any more - when they DO work?
apparently just when they choose and apparently that isn't often...I remember a piece of wisdom given to me by my mum it was: it takes just as much effort to "look" busy as it does to actually do the job

apparently she was wrong

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I just spent 5 hours without power at -20 degrees for "maintenance".... Do these guys not work hot any more - when they DO work?

You best put a link to that claim.

I do not see any Hydro people anywhere purposely scheduling "maintenance" work in winter and/or actually following through at minus 20 temps........

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
How about I mail you my cold house....

"Maintenance" is a gimmick to get away from rolling in an alternate power source so they can string lines to a new sandpaper plant a mile down Hwy 17. Last year, they at least gave warning.

Hydro and their corporate image fibs...

Official line goes like "faulty insulator". Odd how the power goes out right on the hour and on Sundays.

More than 900 people without power in Greater Sudbury

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
resume'?

so just a minute, Sal... so out of one side of your mouth you're expressing you're shocked, appalled, disgusted, etc., and out of the other you're sending in your resume', because if you could get that job, presumably, you would milk that puppy for all she's worth? lol Sorry. had to ask!

Anyway, I don't see the disgruntled ex-employee offering back to the taxpayers the 4 and a half years salary he says he didn't earn. Without doing so he's just a sh*t-disturbing hypocrite.

Anyone consider the possibility they were relaxing on their lunch break?
whatever

A single snapshot doesn't really tell much. Are there any others? My government computer won't let me follow some links. (Those bastard taxpayers!)

lol

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You best put a link to that claim.

I do not see any Hydro people anywhere purposely scheduling "maintenance" work in winter and/or actually following through at minus 20 temps........

LOL. They would be very inclined to throw that out as a bull**** excuse for interruption of services.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Ah, the wonderful pictures without context.

When was their break? Are they entitled to breaks? Lunch hours? When the power goes down in a wicked snow storm, and they're working for 15 hours straight, fingers going numb, do you complain about the fairness of their schedules? I just can't get worked up, sorry.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Ah, the wonderful pictures without context.

When was their break? Are they entitled to breaks? Lunch hours? When the power goes down in a wicked snow storm, and they're working for 15 hours straight, fingers going numb, do you complain about the fairness of their schedules? I just can't get worked up, sorry.

I have to agree with Karrie. I'm not saying the ex-employee isn't telling the truth, but it's not like ex-employees have never tried underhanded tricks to try and get their former employers/co-workers in hot water because they didn't like getting fired (who knows, he could have been justifiably fired in the first place). And a picture isn't always worth a thousand words. A break, a "gag" photo, in which they all took a moment to "take their positions" before getting to work. The truth may come out in the end, but then again who knows for sure?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
shadow, even if it's not just 'getting ready for a gag' or a photo of them on break.... I spend most of my days here on CC and facebook, with people who are at work. Yes, they're actively hammering away on a key board and not taking a nap, but, they probably steal WAY more time from an employer than a 30 minute nap a day ever could. We're transitioning by necessity to an outcome based economy, not an hourly one. These guys are no different. They have to get the job done, but 'the job' sometimes has restrictions. So they sit and wait.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
shadow, even if it's not just 'getting ready for a gag' or a photo of them on break.... I spend most of my days here on CC and facebook, with people who are at work. Yes, they're actively hammering away on a key board and not taking a nap, but, they probably steal WAY more time from an employer than a 30 minute nap a day ever could.

Shoot! And here I thought no one was noticing. (She typed from the office.)

:D