No Canadian speaker at Mandela Memorial


Durry
#1
Do you think Canadians should be miffed ???

Canada was a big supporter of abandoning apartheid and helping Mandela get out of prison.

When Mandela got out of prison, Canada was the first country he visited to show his appreciation for Canada's support and efforts.
He was also made the first out of country Honorary Citizen of Canada.

And yet, Canada was not asked to speak at this Memorial.

I mean, wtf did Cuba do to get to make a speech ???
 
Goober
#2
And who should have spoken?
 
Durry
+2
#3
Well any of the ex or present PM could have done the job but that's not the issue, the issue as I see it was that Canada was snubbed.
If Mandela was to chose, Canada would have been included.
 
Goober
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

Well any of the ex or present PM could have done the job but that's not the issue, the issue as I see it was that Canada was snubbed.
If Mandela was to chose, Canada would have been included.

I asked you= Not the dead guy.Who?
 
Durry
+1
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

I asked you= Not the dead guy.Who?

Go and fk yourself !!!
Now go find somebody else to make demands from,,azzhole!!
 
Goober
+3
#6  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

Go and fk yourself !!!
Now go find somebody else to make demands from,,azzhole!!

Well add 1/2 an inch and I could achieve that.
 
BornRuff
+3
#7
The day isn't about us, so no, we shouldn't get our panties in a twist.
 
damngrumpy
+1
#8
First of all what did Cuba do? Cuba assisted the ANC with anything it could.
Believe it or not Fidel and Mandela were personal friends I mean close friends.
Yes Canada played the game but Cuba behind the scenes walked the walk.
That is what Cuba did, they helped with arms too likely.
Mandela was able to bring the left right and center together and you cannot
see the greatness in that. I would have been very surprised had Cuba not spoken
but then history is sometimes in the eye of those who don't know it.
 
WLDB
+1
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

Do you think Canadians should be miffed ???

No. Its a funeral. Not everyone gets to speak. You are really over-sensitive if this sort of thing actually bothers you.
 
Durry
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

No. Its a funeral. Not everyone gets to speak. You are really over-sensitive if this sort of thing actually bothers you.

No, the function today was not the funeral, today it was a Memorial.

Learn the difference..eh!!
 
Walter
-1
#11
Why did BHO speak? Was he a friend of NM?
 
damngrumpy
#12
Yes today was the memorial and Canada didn't get to speak so what?
Cuba did more Canada did more not the issue who did Manela think
did more the outcome demonstrates that. Make no mistake Mandela
was no conservative The fact he wasn't conservative allowed him to
compromise
 
WLDB
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

No, the function today was not the funeral, today it was a Memorial.

Learn the difference..eh!!

Semantics. They are more or less the same thing. You show up, some people talk about the dead person. The only major difference is whether the body is present or not.

Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Why did BHO speak? Was he a friend of NM?

Probably because of his job. Regardless of who is President I imaging that person would have been invited to speak. Whether they should or not doesnt really matter. We didnt plan it and it doesnt really concern us.
 
Durry
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

the issue who did Manela think did more the outcome demonstrates that.

The decision on who spoke at this function was made by the Gov of S Africa. Mandela didn't decide, he's dead!!



Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

The fact he wasn't conservative allowed him to compromise

It was about recognizing your friends. It's pretty obvious which way SA is going politically. They will always be a third world country now. They deserve the government they get!!

It really makes one wonder about all those fund raising events that are held throughout Canada to help S Africa!!
 
Serryah
#15
I thought the details of all this was decided months ago? If that's the case, who spoke at the service would have also been decided, wouldn't it?

Since Mandela was alive then, likely he knew who would be speaking. Do I wish Canada had been one of those invited to speak? Of course. The question of 'why not?', considering the US at the time was against the man and yet they spoke would seem at least a little off kilter, yet it's not us who makes the decision. In the end, to me it's no huge deal, although again, 'why not' is still a good question to ask, IMO.
 
lone wolf
+1
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

Do you think Canadians should be miffed ???

Canada was a big supporter of abandoning apartheid and helping Mandela get out of prison.

When Mandela got out of prison, Canada was the first country he visited to show his appreciation for Canada's support and efforts.
He was also made the first out of country Honorary Citizen of Canada.

And yet, Canada was not asked to speak at this Memorial.

I mean, wtf did Cuba do to get to make a speech ???

Isn't a Canadian one of those folk who are heroic enough to do the job yet humble enough to not have to toot their horns about it?
 
BornRuff
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by SerryahView Post

I thought the details of all this was decided months ago? If that's the case, who spoke at the service would have also been decided, wouldn't it?

Since Mandela was alive then, likely he knew who would be speaking. Do I wish Canada had been one of those invited to speak? Of course. The question of 'why not?', considering the US at the time was against the man and yet they spoke would seem at least a little off kilter, yet it's not us who makes the decision. In the end, to me it's no huge deal, although again, 'why not' is still a good question to ask, IMO.

Well, they both have the whole "first black president" thing going on, so that is a pretty obvious connection.
 
Sons of Liberty
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Isn't a Canadian one of those folk who are heroic enough to do the job yet humble enough to not have to toot their horns about it?

Not in my experience, everyone desires some sort of recognition.
 
Walter
-1
#19
Too funny.


Yahoo News Canada - Latest News & Headlines
 
Durry
+1
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

Well, they both have the whole "first black president" thing going on, so that is a pretty obvious connection.

Yeah, I guess, and here we all thought that Mandela was all for color blindness. I guess the true colors always seem to come out one way or another!!
 
Walter
+1 / -1
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

Yeah, I guess, and here we all thought that Mandela was all for color blindness. I guess the true colors always seem to come out one way or another!!

Racist is as racist does.
 
BornRuff
+1
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

Yeah, I guess, and here we all thought that Mandela was all for color blindness. I guess the true colors always seem to come out one way or another!!

I don't think that he advocated for ignorance.

We can acknowledge that a person has black skin. We can acknowledge the challenges that people with black skin have faced and we can recognize the significance of certain milestones in relation to combating those challenges. That is pretty much Mandela's entire legacy in a nutshell.
 
lone wolf
+1
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by Sons of LibertyView Post

Not in my experience, everyone desires some sort of recognition.

At a memorial, isn't recognition for the person being honoured?
 
taxslave
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by DurryView Post

Do you think Canadians should be miffed ???

Canada was a big supporter of abandoning apartheid and helping Mandela get out of prison.

When Mandela got out of prison, Canada was the first country he visited to show his appreciation for Canada's support and efforts.
He was also made the first out of country Honorary Citizen of Canada.

And yet, Canada was not asked to speak at this Memorial.

I mean, wtf did Cuba do to get to make a speech ???

WHo cares.
 
Zipperfish
#25
Yeah, who cares. I doubt Harper is a big Mandela fan anyways.
 
EagleSmack
#26
Our guy had a blast!








Not sure about Michelle though.
 
karrie
#27
Have you ever been to a funeral, and see who does the eulogies?


It's usually not the closest friends and family.


Personally, the snub would be in not being invited. But, complaining about not being asked to speak is petty and small. Something we shouldn't be.

__________________________________________________ ______________________


btw, boomer just pointed out in another thread, the way our treatment of the natives was a sore point between us and Mandela. Which made me ponder, would it not be hypocritical at the memorial of the man who ended apartheid, to have one of the few countries that still practices government funded segregation, to speak? Just a thought to chew on.
 

Similar Threads

130
Nelson Mandela dead at 95
by JLM | Feb 12th, 2014
60
Nelson Mandela Was A 'Terrorist'
by B00Mer | Dec 15th, 2013
2
Winnie Mandela barred from Canada
by Pangloss | Jun 13th, 2007
0
Mandela praises Botha
by Researcher87 | Nov 1st, 2006
no new posts