Doctors refuse to remove Quebecer's volleyball-sized hernia


SLM
#1
Doctors refuse to remove Quebecer's volleyball-sized hernia




MONTREAL - A botched skin graft has left a former sanitation worker with a volleyball-sized hernia sticking out of his belly.
Yves Rivest's troubles began in 2003 when a garbage truck ran over him on the job.
"I slid beneath the truck that was backing up at the same time," said Rivest, now 36. "The front wheel passed between my legs, on my stomach."
The suburban Montreal native was in a coma for three weeks and woke up to find his intestines outside his body.
"The surgeon came to see me to explain that my intestines would be in bags for at least a year," said Rivest. "Once my intestines healed, they would reattach them."
Doctors sealed his abdominal wall but the job didn't last.
"There was so much pressure in my stomach that the sutures gave way completely and my stomach began to open," he said. "It didn't smell good and my skin turned black."
With virtually no skin on his belly, Rivest underwent a skin graft from his left leg in 2004.
"The skin graft turned into a 28-inch hernia that weighs 30 pounds," he lamented.
He says doctors are refusing to operate unless he loses weight, but he says he's in a catch-22.
"(Worker's comp) says I can't pull, push or lift anything weighing over five pounds," he said. "How can I train?"
Rivest weighs 235 pounds but points out that he'd weigh 205 pounds if doctors would remove the giant hernia.


Doctors refuse to remove Quebecer's volleyball-sized hernia | Canada | News | Winnipeg Sun
 
karrie
+1
#2  Top Rated Post
I was under the impression that when docs refuse to operate due to weight issues, its on ELECTIVE procedures, and it's in cases where the weight is pressing into the chest and throat area when lying down (like women with extremely large breasts, and men with barrel chests). He seems to have neither of those. Repairing that is not optional imo, and his weight looks to be mainly spare tire flab.


Of course, I'm no doctor, I just play one on tv.
 
SLM
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

I was under the impression that when docs refuse to operate due to weight issues, its on ELECTIVE procedures, and it's in cases where the weight is pressing into the chest and throat area when lying down (like women with extremely large breasts, and men with barrel chests). He seems to have neither of those. Repairing that is not optional imo, and his weight looks to be mainly spare tire flab.


Of course, I'm no doctor, I just play one on tv.

I agree Doc.

And talk about being in between a rock and a hard place....Doctors won't operate unless he loses weight, but his WCB won't tolerate him doing anything that'll help him shape up and slim down. Of course, he could defy WCB, work out and lose weight that much sooner what with the not eating he'll be doing after they cut him off of benefits. I mean, it's not like this guy is faking it, he was run over by a garbage truck...I'd expect someone to be on worker's comp for a while after that.
 
karrie
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

I agree Doc.

And talk about being in between a rock and a hard place....Doctors won't operate unless he loses weight, but his WCB won't tolerate him doing anything that'll help him shape up and slim down. Of course, he could defy WCB, work out and lose weight that much sooner what with the not eating he'll be doing after they cut him off of benefits. I mean, it's not like this guy is faking it, he was run over by a garbage truck...I'd expect someone to be on worker's comp for a while after that.



To play devil's advocate, WCB doesn't say he can't walk... but... who wants to be out walking with that?
 
spaminator
#5
I wonder if kuato is trying to come out?
 
SLM
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

To play devil's advocate, WCB doesn't say he can't walk... but... who wants to be out walking with that?

Well yeah, it's about the principle though. Worker's comp is all about making the employer's pay up on premiums, then they ****er around with people who are making a claim. They can pound salt, lol.

But considering the hernia apparently weighs 30lbs, that leave him at 205....maybe not an "ideal" weight but certainly can't be that bad for a full grown man. At least not to the point of denying him surgery.
 
karrie
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Well yeah, it's about the principle though. Worker's comp is all about making the employer's pay up on premiums, then they ****er around with people who are making a claim. They can pound salt, lol.

But considering the hernia apparently weighs 30lbs, that leave him at 205....maybe not an "ideal" weight but certainly can't be that bad for a full grown man. At least not to the point of denying him surgery.



again, I'm no doctor, but you don't 'remove' a hernia, you stuff the intestines back where they belong, so he wouldn't lose the 30lbs... they'd just be in the right spot.
 
SLM
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

again, I'm no doctor, but you don't 'remove' a hernia, you stuff the intestines back where they belong, so he wouldn't lose the 30lbs... they'd just be in the right spot.

I'm sure there's swelling, water, and all sorts of other gross stuff that we shall not mention (please, lets not mention) as a result of the distension....Kind of like when you're pregnant, put on 30 pounds and have a 7 lb child, lol. Not all of it is permanent weight, although some can be.
 

Similar Threads

0
Quebecer among 32 Virginia Tech victims
by CBC News | Apr 17th, 2007
11
what about a quebecer in ontario
by justinwilliams | Jun 1st, 2006
no new posts