Sharia Law or Canadian Law.....

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Once again.......

Human rights complaint filed against cab company over guide dog

Saskatoon man files human rights complaint; says cab drivers are turning away his guide dog due to their religious beliefs.
SASKATOON – A man who says he and his guide dog have been having trouble with a Saskatoon cab company has filed a complaint with the Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission.
Mike Simmonds says the problem started two months ago when a dispatcher for Comfort Cabs told him he would need a pet-friendly taxi.
He says he’s been told twice since then that drivers weren’t comfortable with his seeing-eye dog because of their religious beliefs.
He called the manager to complain and received an apology.

Story continues below
More: Human rights complaint filed against cab company over guide dog - Saskatoon | Globalnews.ca

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Halal rules and Sharia law are not the same. A more apt description for this thread would be 'religious freedom versus Canadian law'. But, of course, there are some who only care about the protection of their religious rights, not others'.

It seems to me that if he's bumped up against this issue so often, he should be phoning for a cab and explaining that he has a guide dog with him. But, easy solutions without conflict don't sell news I suppose.

As well, it should be pointed out that dogs only violate halal rules if you touch them, and guide dogs should not be touched.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
If they want to be taxi drivers in Canada they must follow Canadian law. If they are not willing to do this they can either find different jobs or a different country.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
On an added note, if I were him, I would also raise the issue with the local imams, and hope for some clarification amongst the mosques there, as to how service dogs fit into their lives in North America

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
On an added note, if I were him, I would also raise the issue with the local imams, and hope for some clarification amongst the mosques there, as to how service dogs fit into their lives in North America

I would be onto the Better Business Bureau and the city.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Blind man wins case after cabby refused dog

Islam allows blind to use dogs - General - New Straits Times

In 2008, the United Kingdom's Muslim Law (Syariah) Council issued a fatwa stating that "a blind person, in the light of syariah law, will be allowed to keep a guide dog to help him and if required to take him to the mosque for his prayers".

Then, 18-year-old Mohammed Abraar Khatri, who lost his sight because of a degenerative disease the same year, championed the rights of Muslims to use the services of guide dogs with help from the Guide Dogs for the Blind Association and the Muslim Council of Britain.

His guide dog, named Vargo, accompanied Mohammed to school, outings and to the mosque.

A special compartment was set up within the mosque compound to let the dog stay while Mohammed went to pray.

Perak mufti Tan Sri Dr Harussani Zakaria said Muslims were allowed to keep dogs if they were trained to be guard dogs, to watch over the garden (kebun) or to be seeing-eye dogs.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I researched halal rules regarding dogs soon after moving into Edmonton, when kids at the playground were visibly intrigued by the dog, but had to stay way back, and explained it was against their religion to touch it, especially to be licked by a dog.

There is a lot of progressive attitude toward the issue, with many Muslims fully aware that like most halal and kosher religious rules, it served a valid purpose in times before sanitation. But, some habits and rules are hard to break.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If the problem was with comfort cabs it would have been a good idea to use Radio cabs' or blue line cabs or premier or united.

Talk about a sucker for punishment

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I am at the point where I am not tolerant of these foreign laws being pushed down the
throat of Canadians. We are a society not some third world entity where dogs get you
in trouble with God. Oh I'm not saying its Muslim perse its all these religions with some
really ancient backward stuff including Christians Jews and whoever else participates
in my religious rights should trump a whole society. This goes for seeing eye dogs to
whatever else appears to bother them. If you come here you go by the laws of the land
and the society you live in simple as that. I am at the point where I believe there should
be no exemptions for religion period. That's not democratic well under the common
good its reasonable. People should not be at the mercy of some religious superstition
regardless of what religion it is welcome to the twenty first century ..

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm not unsympathetic of the rights of people with service dogs, and I'm proud to live in a country that respects the rights of the handicapped. But, when it's an issue of his rights conflicting with someone else's rights, yes, I'd suggest seeing if other cab companies have a lower proportion of Muslim drivers, or are more willing/able to plan ahead for him as he'd need.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm not unsympathetic of the rights of people with service dogs, and I'm proud to live in a country that respects the rights of the handicapped. But, when it's an issue of his rights conflicting with someone else's rights, yes, I'd suggest seeing if other cab companies have a lower proportion of Muslim drivers, or are more willing/able to plan ahead for him as he'd need.
All cab companies offer disability services if you ask for them.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
If this gets to the human rights commission, will they run with it? or will they deflect or find all kinds of excuses like we see already?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I am at the point where I am not tolerant of these foreign laws being pushed down the
throat of Canadians. We are a society not some third world entity where dogs get you
in trouble with God.

Tea Partier

Oh I'm not saying its Muslim perse its all these religions with some
really ancient backward stuff including Christians Jews and whoever else participates
in my religious rights should trump a whole society.

The qualifier

This goes for seeing eye dogs to
whatever else appears to bother them.

Them? Them? Who is them!?

Tea Partier

If you come here you go by the laws of the land
and the society you live in simple as that. I am at the point where I believe there should
be no exemptions for religion period. That's not democratic well under the common
good its reasonable. People should not be at the mercy of some religious superstition
regardless of what religion it is welcome to the twenty first century ..

What a tea partying, GOPing, old white manning, intolerant conservative you are.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If this gets to the human rights commission, will they run with it? or will they deflect or find all kinds of excuses like we see already?

I guess the question you have to ask is.... what is the hierarchy of rights? Which one takes precedent?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Perhaps the Cab Company should do that. As with any Religion you will find differing interpretations- And within Islam more so - That is just an uninformed opinion based upon what I have seen and chatted about with Muslims I meet.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I guess the question you have to ask is.... what is the hierarchy of rights? Which one takes precedent?
To expand on that question..... An intangible like offence over a damn cartoon or a tangible one like having to wait in the cold for another cab willing to take you an your dog?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
To expand on that question..... An intangible like offence over a damn cartoon or a tangible one like having to wait in the cold for another cab willing to take you an your dog?

Or, perhaps you might want to stick with facts instead of extrapolating.... the rights of these Muslims to follow Halal, compared with the rights of this man to access services.