How Canadians can be charged with driving under the influence of cannabis without eve

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
How Canadians can be charged with driving under the influence of cannabis without ever smoking a joint | National Post Derek Kowalenko doesn’t use marijuana. But he’s been designated as an illegal drug user, and he can’t find a job, and he’s stressed out, all because RCMP officers in Kelowna, B.C., believed he was stoned on pot while he sat in his truck in a local Walmart parking lot.
In fact, says Mr. Kowalenko, he was smoking a grape-flavoured cigarillo. He showed it to the two Mounties when they walked up to his parked truck. “What are you smoking?” Mr. Kowalenko recalls being asked.
He held up his cigarillo, still lit.
According to an RCMP document, one of the officers “detected a very faint smell of marijuana under much cigar smoke in the cab of the truck.” Police found no marijuana on their suspect; they didn’t conduct a search. Mr. Kowalenko offered to produce blood and urine samples but the arresting officers weren’t interested. Instead, they ordered him to recite the alphabet backwards, and to stand on one foot, with the other foot pointed out, and to hold the pose while they talked.

He didn’t perform well, he admits. He says he was nervous. “How many people can say the alphabet backwards on command, anyhow?” Mr. Kowalenko asks.
His driver’s licence was suspended on the spot. Unlike drivers caught drunk behind the wheel of a car, in B.C., an alleged drug- impaired driver has no means to contest a 24-hour suspension, aside from going to court, a lengthy and costly process.
Rather than hire a lawyer, Mr. Kowalenko appealed to the RCMP and to the Commission for Public Complaints against the RCMP; both complaints were dismissed.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
He can sue their asses for a Charter Violation.

The case went to trial, and the judge found the arrest was a violation of Janvier’s charter right to be free from unreasonable search and seizure. The scent of marijuana indicated a suspicion that it was smoked but didn’t provide reasonable and probable grounds for an arrest or a search, the judge concluded and excluded the evidence. Janvier was declared not guilty.

Smell of weed no longer grounds for arrest, search

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
If his story is true he definitely got screwed over. Id consider problems like this with the RCMP to be far more important than that one mountie who does pot.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There is a pattern of nonsense from the police in this area. The past few years demonstrates
everything from kicking a guy in the face who is in compliance with orders from the police and
caught on camera. An old man with a permit to park early in the morning while his wife also a
senior is tasered even though he did nothing wrong. It goes on and on here is another one
just like the other one. It is time to determine what is happening in this city. I am not saying all
the cops are bad here far from it but there are too many instances of stupidity.
I tell ya if I were walking downtown at night and on one side of the street were two Mounties
and on the other two bikers, I would walk to face the bikers I have more trust in them on a public
street.