Developing story -Women held as slaves for 30 years -London England

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I was just thinking the same thing.

It makes you wonder how many more victims are kept in captivity.
yes because they keep popping up in one form or another, children handcuffed to porches with dead chickens around their necks, that woman in Germany they found a few years ago, and remember the woman who lived in a box under a couple's bed for over a decade...it's mind blowing and deeply disturbing

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Problem is that in countries where it is legal it still continues.
what continues, prostitution?

oh, sorry you mean slavery....sexual slavery...yes but it would lessen the choke hold that the motorcycle gangs currently have

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
None of this behaviour is acceptable and pointing to the sex trade of any one nation
is not a serious deflection. We are witnessing something that is not part of western
society. Did you read in the Article, the couple may well have been non Britons and
that is the Problem. We too have people coming here with their own ways and the
customs of centuries past. If you are coming to the west you adopt the ways of your
new country customs and so on. If not don't come here simple ain't it

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The British victim is 30, so she's been living like that her whole life. She won't know much about the outside world.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Problem is that in countries where it is legal it still continues.
Problem is seeing it as a yes/no problem instead of a more/less problem.

In countries where prostitution is legal, there is less human trafficking and abuse.

You may be holding out for "none," Goob, but lots of us'd be pretty pleased with "less."

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Problem is seeing it as a yes/no problem instead of a more/less problem.

In countries where prostitution is legal, there is less human trafficking and abuse.

You may be holding out for "none," Goob, but lots of us'd be pretty pleased with "less."

Just saying it is not a cure all- And less would be better.
As to legalization- I am in favor.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
This was a case of actual slavery, not sex slavery, so the prostitution debate is highly off track.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I was just thinking the same thing.

It makes you wonder how many more victims are kept in captivity.

BC has had a couple cases hit the news of people being held as slaves... immigrants whose 'employers' take their passports away once they arrive, and convince them that if they do anything out of step with their orders, they will be arrested and deported. One notable one was a tree planting crew, and another was a Tim Horton's.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
BC has had a couple cases hit the news of people being held as slaves... immigrants whose 'employers' take their passports away once they arrive, and convince them that if they do anything out of step with their orders, they will be arrested and deported. One notable one was a tree planting crew, and another was a Tim Horton's.

Here's one I just came across where it turns out to have been a completely false accusation.

Yahoo News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

I can buy that it can happen, of course it can the story in the OP is not that unusual (unfortunately), but there will also always be people looking to cash in on the "opportunity" too.