Boy found handcuffed to porch with dead chicken around his neck Sunday 17 Nov 2013 4

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The foster parents of an 11-year-old boy have been arrested after the child was found handcuffed to their porch with a dead chicken around his neck.
Dorian Lee Harper and Wanda Sue Larson, both 57, were arrested after police discovered the shivering youngster living in ‘shocking conditions’ with his siblings in North Carolina, in the US, on Friday.
The officer who saw him was actually responding to a different call at the time, but when he walked up to the young boy, who had been handcuffed by the ankle to the railing, forest parent Harper came out of the house and asked what he wanted.
Another child in the house also opened the door and a number of large dogs ran out, forcing the officer to retreat.
Wanda Sue Larson works in social services (Picture: Union County Sheriff’s Office) Police combed the house discovering that five children aged between eight and 14 were living with their pets in squalid conditions.
The children – four of whom are adopted while the 11-year-old is fostered – have been removed from the property, with Harper and Larson charged with intentional child abuse, inflicting serious injury, false imprisonment and cruelty to animals.
Larson, who works in social services, was also charged with willful failure to discharge her duty as a public official.
Sheriff Eddie Cathey said: ‘I can assure you that we have only just begun our investigation into what has happened, and we will pursue it to its fullest extent.’
The two have been placed in the Union County Jail with bonds of $500,000 (£310,000).

Dorian Lee Harper and Wanda Sue Larson: Boy found handcuffed with dead chicken around his neck | Metro News

A horrifying discovery, I am shocked that she is in social services first off and next the kid was in foster care, did no one check on this child to ensure he was living in fit conditions or did the fact that she was in Social Services ensure no home study was done?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
And who as checking up on her. Regular visits & followup are required are they not?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
That is what i am getting to. Could be a major failure in their inspections- Why it would be is beyond me - Like having the fox check the hen house.
yes, at this point it would appear to be that way...hopefully, we will know more soon

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Perhaps not if she is one of the people doing them.

It would be strange if they allowed such people to check in on themselves. That'd be the easiest way to get away with doing stuff like this. Give yourself flying colours while doing this stuff at home. If that is how it works that has to change.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Plus they describe the conditions as "squalor" yet they managed to adopt kids too...the whole thing is wonky.

And placing a chicken around a kid's neck probably to let it rot is psychotic.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Plus they describe the conditions as "squalor" yet they managed to adopt kids too...the whole thing is wonky.

And placing a chicken around a kid's neck probably to let it rot is psychotic.

That's what we do to dogs that kill chickens. Maybe thats what the kid was doing?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
That's what we do to dogs that kill chickens. Maybe thats what the kid was doing?
lol no respectful chicken would stay in those conditions... I'd be afraid to cook in that type of environment let alone eat

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Poor children, they never asked to be born and on top of that they get treated worse than you would treat an animal. I hope there two feel the full weight of justice come down on their heads.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving