B.C.'s Nisga'a becomes only First Nation to privatize land

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
B.C.'s Nisga'a becomes only First Nation to privatize land

The northwestern B.C. First Nation has approved the privatization of 3 homes
CBC News

The Nisga'a Nation in northwestern British Columbia has become the only First Nation in Canada to let its people own tribal land privately.

The First Nation's land registrar says it has now signed off on the first three transfers of property to individuals in the Greenville area of the remote First Nation's land.

The community's leaders say that by allowing their people to own private property on tribal land, something most aboriginal people living on reserves can't do, they'll be able to get a loan, using land as collateral.

And they believe with those loans and opportunities will come new businesses and the prospect of prosperity.

The Nisga'a government's economic development officer Bert Mercer is set to be among the first to become a private property owner. He is proud to show off his home and the well-groomed grounds it stands upon.

"It's going to add value, an additional $30,000 maybe," he says.

But many critics have raised concerns about the privatization of First Nations lands, saying it's a step toward losing their lands, and perhaps toward assimilation.

I can't wait to see how this plays.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Heaven forbid they become 'assimilated' into modern day Canadian society. No, far better for them to remain in poverty so they can be victims and rely on the govt for handouts.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Heaven forbid they become 'assimilated' into modern day Canadian society. No, far better for them to remain in poverty so they can be victims and rely on the govt for handouts.
Your oft repeated genocidal views aside, I understand your limited ability to think things through, and some crazy need to say stupid things at every chance, and all, but you do realize that most First Nations recognize and exist in "modern day" Canadian society, and don't live in poverty, and they achieved that without being assimilated.

Just take a minute, breath, forget all the times I've made you look stupid (Like just now), think it through, come back later and give it another try, lol.

Last edited:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The Indian Nations have kept their identity and survived and prospered.
In West Kelowna they own all the land around and they are developing
it successfully. In Osoyoos they are the main employers now with a thriving
economy. The people who most desperately want them to fail are the
surrounding communities and developers. It ain't gonna happen. The new
First Nations people are in fact improving all the time. The young ones are
getting degrees and becoming lawyers, engineers and business people.
I know several and they are able to live in two worlds and do very well.
Yes some are in poverty and some have serious problems and all the things
we hear about.
Think about this in recent years take away the credit cards or worse jack up
the home mortgage interest rate and there will be a lot more white folks
living the stereotype they have created for the native peoples. It's time to
quit trying to change people to live according our view of the way they should
live.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
we hear about.
live.
I would be doing a lot better if I could develop without having to buy it first or could let my kids get their degrees without spending $40k/yr on tuition and board and if I didn't have to pay taxes well sh*t, I would be worth twice what I am today. It is all good to say these are successful projects but they never had to cross the bridges I did and still do.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy they can actually do something to support themselves but maybe they should pay back all the grants and back-taxes and the cost of the land and education so things are truly equal.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I would be doing a lot better if I could develop without having to buy it first or could let my kids get their degrees without spending $40k/yr on tuition and board and if I didn't have to pay taxes well sh*t, I would be worth twice what I am today. It is all good to say these are successful projects but they never had to cross the bridges I did and still do.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy they can actually do something to support themselves but maybe they should pay back all the grants and back-taxes and the cost of the land and education so things are truly equal.
Please, please stop embarrassing yourself.

How education grants are handed out is available online. Here's a spoiler, you aren't just handed a cheque when you show up asking to go to university or collage.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Wow...... and just when I thought I had already read the stupidest thing you have ever written, and you blow it out of the water.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
we hear about.
live.
I pretty much agree .

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Please, please stop embarrassing yourself.

How education grants are handed out is available online. Here's a spoiler, you aren't just handed a cheque when you show up asking to go to university or collage.

I'm not into art, I wouldn't want to go to a collage!

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Wow...... and just when I thought I had already read the stupidest thing you have ever written, and you blow it out of the water.

You can read? Wow, I thought all you catholics were spoonfed the bible orally...along with your priest's d*ck!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You can read? Wow, I thought all you catholics were spoonfed the bible orally...along with your priest's d*ck!
Wow!!!

Man your emotions are all wound up tonight.

Would it help if I apologized for making you look so stupid?

On the other hand, who apologizes for when you make you look stupid?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Wow!!!

Man your emotions are all wound up tonight.

Would it help if I apologized for making you look so stupid?

On the other hand, who apologizes for when you make you look stupid?

Oh dear! You feeling left out? Tell you what, the priest can feed you his d*ck when he's finished with Gerry.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Oh dear! You feeling left out? Tell you what, the priest can feed you his d*ck when he's finished with Gerry.
I hope you don't plan on telling me how emotional I am, or how you rent space in my head.

You don't do (And aren't capable of) anything that would make me behave like you are.

Are you even aware of what you look like right now?

Serious question.

Why does it not surprise me that your thoughts run to "priest's dic ks"
That's a good question.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
about time. Nothing in the artical indicated if they could sell to non band members. Is there a covenent or regulations about this?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm just a compassionate guy and concerned for your health with all that holy semen in your belly. :p
You're having a bad day eh. You got spanked for calling BL a pedo, I made you look like a fool, and now you've taken over for me, lol.

Dude, serious advice, turn off the puter, go lay down.

about time. Nothing in the artical indicated if they could sell to non band members. Is there a covenent or regulations about this?
I have no idea myself. I would think not, but how do you get around racial discrimination accusations for not selling to non band members? What if there's a default, can the bank foreclose on the property? I'm watching to see how this goes.

Last edited:

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
I hear that banks could be involved and there will be the same move here on the Island very soon. Some of my family are involved.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

I'm just a compassionate guy and concerned for your health with all that holy semen in your belly. :p

Protip: Nicholas; none of these magnificent examples of scraping-the-bottom were reported by your targets or adoring fans but they are foul none the less. And note they've been left where they lay, all sticky and rancid...sans nicky infraction too.

If they are the result of stunted emotional growth, imbibing a Don Cherry pop or a puff of the Mayor Ford, I'm not certain. But if you were lucid and still decided they were your best and final answer before clicking the 'reply' button, I'm done with you sir.

Remember that the next time you want to cry and moan about Board Moderation, Member behaviour or report a post your very own self.