'Three killed' in Norway bus hijack

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The suspect, in his 50s and of foreign origin, has been arrested, police told the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation.

The victims - one woman and two men - included the bus driver. There were no immediate details of other casualties.

The man was overpowered by firefighters who rushed to the scene of what was initially reported as a traffic accident, police said.

The attack took place around 17:30 local time (16:30 GMT) on a remote mountain road near Ardal, about 220km (135 miles) north-west of Oslo.

"For now, I have no information to indicate there was anyone else than the three victims" on the bus, police officer Joern Lasse Foerde Refsnes told TV2 news channel.

A witness, who gave his name as Leif, told TV2: "The bus was on the side of the road, so we stopped our car and ran over."

"It was impossible to open the doors. Then we saw a dark-skinned person inside the bus. At first, we thought he was trying to get out but then saw he was moving around with a knife, and we realised that the situation was quite different," he said.

The motive for the attack was not immediately clear, but police said there was nothing to suggest the victims were known to the attacker.

The suspect is being treated in hospital for knife wounds, police said.

Plans to deploy an anti-terror unit to the scene aboard army helicopters was called off after the suspect was arrested.

BBC News - 'Three killed' in Norway bus hijack

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Norway bus murder suspect 'due to be deported'

A man accused of hijacking a bus and killing three people in Norway was a South Sudanese asylum-seeker who had been due for deportation, police said.

Police said the suspect had been living at an asylum seekers' centre in the town of Aardal, and had been due to fly to Spain via Oslo to have his asylum application reviewed there.

A 19-year-old woman and two men in their fifties were stabbed to death.

The motive for the attacks in western Norway is still not clear.

An official at the organisation which runs the asylum centre said the attack had been completely unexpected.

"We did not detect any early warning signs," said Tor Brekke, of the Hero organisation, according to AFP.
The suspect, whose name has not been disclosed by the authorities, is being treated for knife wounds at a hospital in Bergen.

He was born in 1982 and had been staying at the refugee centre in Aardal for several months, police said.

His application for asylum in Norway had been turned down, because he had made an earlier asylum bid in Spain.

According to Norwegian police, the authorities had been preparing to fly him to Oslo on Tuesday, and then on to Spain.

more

BBC News - Norway bus murder suspect 'due to be deported'

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'd venture to guess because he'd rather be imprisoned in Norway than free in the Sudan. But whatever his "reasoning" it's a sad shame that people had to die.

You'd think it would stand to reason that you don't have to kill three people for that.... one will do the trick.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You'd think it would stand to reason that you don't have to kill three people for that.... one will do the trick.

Of course it is and it was all absolute pure speculation on my part anyway Karrie.

For some reason I had a vision in my mind of someone panicking at the thought of going back. Not really sure why. Maybe because I think a lot of times when we hear about people seeking asylum it's usually in connection with a 'false' claim. This, on the surface, looks like he's been deported for technical reasons (he'd already started the process in Spain before Norway if I understood correctly) and I read his actions, as horrific and inexcusable as they were, as being born out of desparation.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It all depends on what he went through in Sudan.

Sudan does not strike me as a place one would want to go to, let alone be forced to go back to. Hence my speculative hop to 'desperation'. But who knows really, people do horrific things for all kinds of reasons and, in the end, no truly horrific act can be justified really anyway.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Sudan does not strike me as a place one would want to go to, let alone be forced to go back to. Hence my speculative hop to 'desperation'. But who knows really, people do horrific things for all kinds of reasons and, in the end, no truly horrific act can be justified really anyway.

I wouldn't want his brain. Horrible horrible sh*t went down there. It doesn't justify his actions in our brains but in his rewired brain, to him it was justifiable.