Bus driver saves suicidal woman's life

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Bus Driver Saves Woman From Jumping Off Bridge - YouTube

A bus driver is being hailed as a hero after stopping mid-route to prevent a suicidal woman from jumping off a bridge in Buffalo, N.Y.

Darnell Barton, 37, pulled his bus over on Oct. 18 when he spotted a woman who had climbed over the guardrail and stood leaning over a busy expressway, according to local reports. Footage from a camera in the bus captured Barton calling out to the woman to ask if she was okay before making his way to her and helping her back over the rail. He then sat on the ground with the woman until help arrived.

"I tried to get some information. She wasn’t forthcoming," Barton recalled in an interview with Buffalo News. "She looked down and then looked up and said, ‘You smell good.’"

Passersby identifying themselves as a state prison corrections officer and a crisis counselor also pulled over to help. When the ambulance drove away, Barton got back on his bus and received a round of applause for his compassionate deed from a group of about 20 high school students and other passengers waiting for him on the bus.

"Things like this put what's important in perspective," the father of two told the Associated Press on Wednesday. "You hug your kids a little tighter, kiss your wife a little bit longer. You're grateful."

Watch this bus driver save a woman's life - The Denver Post

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I would have just let her get on with it. Ain't my problem.

If she wants to jump off, let her jump off. As long as she doesn't cause injury or disruption to some other people in the process.

My pet hate are those morons who kill themselves by jumping in front of trains or buses.

If they want to kill themselves, why can't they just drop the toaster into the bath or hang themselves from their bedroom window? Instead, they decide to cause disruption to people who are desperately trying to get to work on time by jumping in front of their train or bus, leaving them to have to clear their mangled body of the track or wait till another bus comes along.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Are you bucking for sainthood or something?

I'm just saying what most people think.

If some woman wants to jump off a bridge, let her. As long as she causes no harm or inconvenience to anyone else.

I wonder how many hundreds of vehicles passed by her on that bridge without bothering to stop. They have the same idea as me.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm just saying what most people think.

No, you're saying what you think most people think.

If some woman wants to jump off a bridge, let her. As long as she causes no harm or inconvenience to anyone else.

Gawd no, wouldn't want to inconvenience someone with their gory death. That would just be rude.

I wonder how many hundreds of vehicles passed by her on that bridge without bothering to stop. They have the same idea as me.

And I wonder how many don't. I'm guessing the ones with an ounce of empathy and an actual beating heart.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
No, you're saying what you think most people think.

I'm saying what most people think.

If I wasn't, everybody on that bridge would have stopped to try and coax her down.

Gawd no, wouldn't want to inconvenience someone with their gory death. That would just be rude.

It certainly IS rude and it shows no consideration for other people.

If some person wants to kill themselves then they should do so in a way which doesn't inconvenience people. Why do idiots persist in chucking themselves in front of trains, knowing that it will cause inconvenience for people on that train?

If they want to kill themselves then they should hang themselves at home or drop the toaster in the bath. I don't see why they should cause misery and inconvenience for hundreds or thousands of people by chucking themselves in front of trains.

And I wonder how many don't. I'm guessing the ones with an ounce of empathy and an actual beating heart.

As I far I can tell, that bus driver was the ONLY one on that bridge who stopped for that woman. Everyone else had just carried on.

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm saying what most people think.

If I wasn't, everybody on that bridge would have stopped to try and coax her down.

Not actively participating in a rescue effort does not actually equate to not caring about the outcome. Some people simply can't deal with that type of thing. But I'm willing to bet real money that the first thought in a normal person's mind is not about the inconvenience.

That kind of thinking actually goes far beyond narcisism into psychopathology. You're either the singularly most vain individual on the internet or the biggest troll in all of creation.

It certainly IS.

If some person wants to kill themselves then they should do so in a way which doesn't inconvenience people. Why do idiots persist in chucking themselves in front of trains, knowing that it will cause inconvenience for people on that train?

If they want to kill themselves then they should hang themselves at home or drop the toaster in the bath. I don't see why they should cause misery and inconenience for hundreds or thousands of people by chuckign themselves in front of trains.

I'm betting they do it just to piss you off. Ignorant people messing up your life like that, the nerve of them!

As I far I can tell, that bus drive was the ONLY one on that bridge who stopped for that woman. Everyone else had just carried on.

Passersby identifying themselves as a state prison corrections officer and a crisis counselor also pulled over to help.

It's not even buried in the article but right there in the OP. Do you only read the thread titles before you post your cold indifferent opinions?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm betting they do it just to piss you off. Ignorant people messing up your life like that, the nerve of them!

When you're on a train to an important meeting at work - one which you NEED to be at - and then some goon chucks themself in front of your train, causing all trains on that line to be stopped for hours whilst they clean up the mess, that will certainly piss you off. It is a MAJOR inconvenience for people who don't give a damn about the problems that person has been through. It's nothing to do with them.

It's a needless inconvenience, one which can be avoided by them killing themselves at home.

One great example of this was the woman who jumped of a building, only to land on a passer-by below, killing him instantly.

This stupid woman, in the process of killing herself, ended up killing another person. That person would have been alive had she just hanged herself.

It's not even buried in the article but right there in the OP. Do you only read the thread titles before you post your cold indifferent opinions?

So that was three people out of a total of many thousands that passed her on the bridge.

Yeah, people were really clambering over themselves to coax this woman down.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Kudos to a good man. And kudos to a bus full of people who understand the value of his actions.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Japanese recognise the inconvence caused by those idiots who throw themselves in front of trains.

Whenever a person commits suicide by throwing themselves in front of a train in Japan, the person's family gets sent a bill by the respective rail company for compensation.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
When you're on a train to an important meeting at work - one which you NEED to be at - and then some goon chucks themself in front of your train, causing all trains on that line to be stopped for hours whilst they clean up the mess, that will certainly piss you off. It is a MAJOR inconvenience for people who don't give a damn about the problems that person has been through. It's nothing to do with them.

I wouldnt be. Every consideration is trivial next to a life and death scenario. With people like you in the world its no wonder some want to check out.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The guy is an awesome human being with a great heart. ♥