Police warn drivers ahead of 1st Alberta snowfall

Are you ready for winter driving?

• Yes. I already have snow tires on my car.

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • I have all-season tires on my car. That's good enough.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • No. I'm not ready at all.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I don't drive.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Police warn drivers ahead of 1st Alberta snowfall

With southern and central Alberta's first snowfall expected to hit on Sunday, police are warning drivers to take precautions to prepare for dangerous winter conditions.

Snow is expected to hit both Edmonton and Calgary by Sunday afternoon, and police say the accumulation can sometimes take drivers by surprise.

"Some drivers are unprepared for the annual transition from dry pavement of summer to winter driving conditions that can include snow and slush-covered highways, black ice and blizzards," said Howard Eaton, the superintendent in charge of RCMP in Alberta.

According to Environment Canada, roughly five to 10 centimetres are expected in Calgary. Edmonton is facing about two to four centimetres, and temperatures in both cities will drop to around - 5 C.

RCMP say there are several things motorists can do to reduce their risk of an accident:

• Slow down when highway conditions are not ideal. The posted limit is for ideal conditions. Drivers have a legal obligation to drive according to road conditions and can be charged with a traffic offence if driving too fast.
  • Stay off the roads during major storms unless travel is absolutely necessary.
  • Keep your headlights on at all times. Low beams are more effective than high beams in fog or heavy snow conditions, and turning on headlights will activate your tail lights and make you more visible for drivers behind you.
  • Ensure your vehicle is in safe mechanical condition and do not drive without snow tires.
  • Never use cruise control in winter conditions and avoid sudden moves by anticipating turns or lane changes.
  • Allow yourself at least three times the normal following distance to stop on wet or slick surfaces.
  • Remember that bridge decks may be slippery even when other parts of the highway are not.
  • Know your braking system and how it reacts on ice.

RCMP say an emergency road kit should also be kept in cars and other vehicles.

These kits should include a blanket or sleeping bag, extra clothing, non-perishable food, a candle in a deep tin, waterproof matches, a first aid kit, a flashlight with extra batteries, a fire extinguisher, booster cables, an ice scraper, snow brush, paper towels or rags, a road map, a compass, road salt or kitty litter and a shovel.

Drivers should also make sure their cell phones are charged, police said.

source: Police warn drivers ahead of 1st Alberta snowfall - Calgary - CBC News

///////////////////////////////////////////

Glad I quit driving for XTL in Alberta.. pushing their drivers to do double Edmonton runs.. 18 hr days.. it's just a matter of time before one of their drivers kills someone.. one driver bragging about taking 15, 5hr drinks to pull 12 back to back Airdrie to Edmonton in 5 days..

Idiots..

lets see... ice fog, black ice, snow, wind... winter... and all season radials do not work in winter!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
My thirteen year old daughter put my snow tires on yesterday afternoon (with dad's supervision). Now I just need to put my shovel, my traction pads, my blankets, etc., in my car.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
My thirteen year old daughter put my snow tires on yesterday afternoon (with dad's supervision). Now I just need to put my shovel, my traction pads, my blankets, etc., in my car.

Don't forget candles.. that can keep your car warm if stuck and the engine is not working.. The also have flashlights you can power by hand.. so no need for batteries ...

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I never go on a long winter drive without a hatchet, knife, shovel, salt, six litres of water, dried food, two blankets, candles, matches, flashlights, a tow chain, and a gun. All tucked in a backpack I sling in the back seat.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
What the Police should enforce is local Albertan's should be forbidden to drive in the winter, yeah may as well add the other 3 seasons as well.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Most of what I type here must be taken as sarcasm brother.

I've done my time in Man, Alta, YT, BC and northern Ont.

I could care less about snow anymore. Toronto has been lucky (thanks to that global warming stuff) these past few years.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Oh a Global Alarmist Petros buddy lol

Yeah if I return to Canada I'd move to Windsor, ON

I like that town for some weird reason, maybe it's the 10 strip clubs in the downtown core, the hot babes, the close proximity to the USA... It's sorta sin city for Canada without all the BS from the states... Crime, poverty, guns... The river is a great buffer.